Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-17-2002, 09:46 PM

Default A couple of carb questions for Cuda66273

I've got a Carter AVS 4635S on my 440. From my information that was for a '68 383 Auto with A/C. I'm guessing that it can't be any bigger than a 650 CFM.

First question - What should the floats be set at? Right now, if I make a hard U-turn or hit the brakes hard (at about 5 MPH), the engine tries to stall (sometimes it actually does). That tells me that the floats aren't set right.

Second question - There is an adjuster, on this carb, that I can't identify. The idle mixture screws are on the left and right of the PCV vacuum port. This adjuster is above the PCV vacuum port. I have no idea what it does, or what I should do with it, to improve the carbs performance.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 09-18-2002, 12:57 AM
Banned

Hey Ed...finally found it....

I have very limited knowledge on these carbs, when they come to me I replace them or send them over to Savis Fuel Systems he'll work on about anything except Demons which he sends to me....

You'd have to check the instruction sheet in a zip kit to get the float level setting......sorry but I just don't work on those carbs....I have trouble keeping up with the Demons and Eddy's. If it helps any the floats on a Eddy 600 are 1.25 from the top plate to the bottom of the float when you hold the cover in the upright position.

I'll ask him about this screw but if I were to guess it would be some sort of lean burn choke adjustment just by the location of it.

Have you ever unscrewed it to see what it is?

You need to swap that out for a Demon...I know a guy who can get you a heck of a deal on one
Old 09-18-2002, 03:51 AM

I've only played with that adjuster one time. That was when I was adjusting the idle screws. It didn't seem to do anything for me. As this carb was originally for a '68 383, I would think that it was pre lean burn, on the other hand I really don't know when they started doing lean burn.

At this point I'd love to replace this carb. The only problem is that I'm currently out of work. I was thinking of going with a Holley Street Avenger 770, as you can pick them up on ebay for under $300 from Koller. Is the Demon that much better than the street Avenger?

When I do finally replace the carb, I'm also going to get rid of the iron intake and replace it with a Weiand Stealth that I have sitting in my garage.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:39 AM

OK, I've done some reading on the BG Speed Demon 750 carb. They aren't much more than the Street Avenger. Because of the better air flow design, they appear to do a better job of fuel atomization than the Holley. In my mind that means the engine is more efficient and can produce more power.

When I finally have a job, I'm thinking that the 1402010VE would be the correct carb for my application. Currently I'm running a 440 with a 6-pack cam, stock heads, stock exhaust manifolds, dual exhaust, Automatic and 2.76 gears.

In the future I plan on upgrading to the EB heads, maintaining a 6 pak cam (or a step above), going to TTI 1 7/8" headers, and upping the rear gears to either 3.55 or 3.91.

The 1402010VE may be a little more than what I need up front however, once the other mods are done, it should be just about right.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:47 AM
Banned

Hey Ed,
Find me the lift and duration spec's on the cam, manifold type, wieght of car, convertor stall and tell me what you expect the carb to accomplish
ie: blistering 1/4 mile times or daily driver dependability..I will select the correct carb for your application and I may be able to build you one within your budget.

Don
Old 09-18-2002, 03:17 PM

Cam specs are: Advertised duration 268/284, overlap 46, lift .450/.458, cam centerline 115. The intake will be a dual plane Weiand Stealth. Not sure of the weight of the car, however as it is a convertible B-body, I'm think about 3,800 lbs. The converter is currently a stock unit but will be upgraded to a dynamic converter unit (when the other mods are being done).

This will be a mostly street car with the occasional fun run at the track (local track is 1/8 mile). I want her to have good street manners but at the same time I want to have some good on demand power

Like I said before, the carb will have to wait until I find another job, as it currently isn't something I can justify (especially since the car is about to go into winter hibernation).
Old 09-18-2002, 03:26 PM
Banned

I know just what you need and there's a good chance I'll have a rebuilt unit on the shelf when your ready just let me know.

Don