Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Wheels & Tires Forum...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-18-2002, 06:57 AM
Inactive User

Default Magnum Center Cap Troubles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am getting ready to have some tires mounted on my newly acquired Magnums (even though I think they are of Ford make!!)My dilema is this, the push in center caps (Ford Style) has a few of the retaining tabs broken off and one cap has no retaining tabs at all. How can I secure these caps onto the wheels so I won't lose them? I had thought about getting a small bolt several inches long and bending a 90 degree angle on one end and JB welding or epoxy the angled end onto the back side of the cap, then after I put the cap on, run the end of the bolt through a flat piece of metal with a hole bored in it and secure it with a wing nut or something to hold the cap on. But, this will not work on the front. I guess the old stand by Super Glue would do the trick until it was time to change tires again, then I run the risk of damaging the caps when I remove them. I know that is what I get for having Ford center caps, but they came with the wheel and I have made some custom center emblems that I want to use on these caps.
Any ideas or suggestions will be welcome!!!
Thanks
Old 09-19-2002, 07:10 PM
Inactive User

Can you find some aftermarket caps that are really close to what ya got?... check a hub cap place? ...... get some flat sheet metal make some tabs out of that and... leave a long piece that will go deep into the cap ,, epoxy them in, ya know bend the metal so the tabs are the same thickness as they were....ya think?

coolcarz
Old 09-19-2002, 07:31 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb Center Cap Retainage

I had a '90 Chrysler T&C Mini-Van with Factory Alloys. The plastic center caps would fall off often. I fixed it by gluing them in with clear silicone. There was just enough adhesion to keep them in place and when it was time for new rubber they would easily come off. The trick is to drive the vehicle with the caps off for a while, this gets the wheels warm and then put the glued caps on the hot wheels and let it set up. The silicone cures quickly then. This may or may not work for you, I don't know how heavy your caps are. Good Luck.