Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-22-2002, 12:24 AM
Inactive User

Default MSD 6A problems

Finally got around to hooking up my ignition box today. One problem though, the engine starts and kinda ides, but when i rev it up, it's mis-firing and not running good at all! I pulled out teh timing gun and when i checked it, I jsut about tipped over, and I don't know why it moved. I'll explain: If you are looking at teh harmonic balancer from the front of the engine, the timing mark would be somewhere around 10 o'clock, maybe 10:30, ok? well, when i hook the box up, it moves it to about the 12o'clock position, and I haven't even touched the distributor!
What's going on ???? Please help, I'm all out of ideas
thanks to everyone that replies!
Steve
Old 09-22-2002, 12:42 AM
Inactive User

I think I heard somewhere that if the magnetic pickup wires are hooked backwards, the timing is changed 10 degrees one way or the other. This is just someting that popped into my thaughts as I read your post. Maybe someone else can help.

Billy
Old 09-22-2002, 12:55 AM
Inactive User

I tried hooking the wires up the other way, so they would be opposite of what they were, and it wouldn't start. I could try it again if anyone else thinks that's the problem. It just seems weird ow it changes teh timing without touching the distributor. Maybe i should get a new coil? I have an Accel Super Stock coil now, and MSD says it's ok to use it, but maybe.....??
Who know's?!
thanks everyone!
Steve
Old 09-22-2002, 09:43 AM
Inactive User

is your t. light a new style?? i didnt know a msd unit put,s out a square wave [what ever that is] ???.. had to get an adaptor for the tac. from jacobs. it works ok now .. just a /?
Old 09-22-2002, 12:07 PM
Inactive User

Even without the timing light, I can still tell the engine doesn't run right. Something is wrong, it ides poorly, and when it is revved up, it looks like it's going to jump out of the mounts.
Steve
Old 09-22-2002, 01:40 PM
Inactive User

I remember when I added the MSD I had to close the gap in the distributor until it almost touched so it would even run right... but it was worth it... I gain a ton of power and improved my idle...
Old 09-22-2002, 01:50 PM
Banned

Try and time it by ear 1st to get some sort of decent idle.

You could have carb problems combined with distributor...was that distributor curved and checked?

Mystery parts create mystery problems.....
Old 09-22-2002, 02:31 PM
Inactive User

Do you remember what teh gap measurment was?? I think I'll try taht once, that sounds like a logical idea.
thanks everyone!!
Steve
Old 09-22-2002, 02:35 PM
Banned

Be sure you set it with a NON METALLIC feeler gauge...I think around .018 to .030 will make it run...I doubt this is your problem.
Old 09-22-2002, 02:41 PM
Inactive User

Oh...boy.
And where do I find a non-metallic feeler gauge. All of the ones i have or seena round here are made outta metal...
Thanks everyone once again
Steve
Old 09-22-2002, 11:05 PM
Inactive User

Can you afford the matching distributor for that MSD? Get rid of the points dist and get an electronic one. If you cant do that, just advance the timing till the popping goes away. I upgraded to a 6a from a 5 with a mopar electronic ignition. Afer hooking it all up, I had to advance the timing alot for it to drive, I ran sitting, but to drive it I had to advance the timing like crazy. Do you have the instructions for the MSD? That covers just about every hook up. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:14 AM
Banned

...get your Venier Calipers out and start measuring the phone book cover any other pieces of paper or plastic laying around the shop...your only checking to see if it's close.

Tell me this isn't a points distributor?
Old 09-23-2002, 07:15 PM
Inactive User

Default MSD Ignition

Hi Ditchpickle,

If your running the small block motor I would NOT recommend using the MSD distributor, I recently got not one but TWO that both had the distributor drive shaft cut short by 1/8". Dont know what to say about your mis-fires though. I'm still waiting for my MP distributor to be delivered and I may be in the same boat as you because I installed the MSD 6A ignition box too. Now you got me worrying that will be my NEXT problem! Good Luck

Bruce

EDIT: PS, please disregard this post, my bad.

Bruce.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:57 PM
Inactive User

Hey all, thanks for replying!
the distributor is Mopar electronic...
Sorry to ehar about you're distributor not being correct, and wish you luck with teh new hook-up. I am seriously thinking about the MSD dist., but wanted some opinions on it if anybody has one they are using in their big block? Please tell me why you like it and some special features taht I would like.
Thanks everyone once again!
Steve
Old 09-27-2002, 09:46 PM
Inactive User

somebody made a comment about using a "non-metallic" feeler gauge to set the air gap on an electronic distributor...that should've been "non-magnetic". They're pretty common even at the chain stores like Kragen. Made of brass, I believe.

---sixpuppy
Old 09-28-2002, 09:56 AM
Inactive User

I put in the MSD dist in my small and and had no problems at all. Like I wrote earlier all I had to do was advance the timing.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:08 AM
Banned

That was me....Non-Mettalic.....I could be wrong, in fact I probably am...sorry to mislead ya'll.

Old 09-30-2002, 07:54 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

cuda66273...

...hey, who among us here has never made a typo or other minor error in something we've posted? If we were perfect and "knew it all" there'd be no reason for this forum! I know I couldn't be much further from THAT state of grace, myself.

---sixpuppy
Old 10-02-2002, 02:54 PM
Inactive User

The same thing happened to me when I put one on my dart. It lost power and pinged like crazy. The box advanced my timing about 15 degrees. So all I did was retard my timing by turning the distributor. Runs fine now.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:07 PM
Inactive User

I have a MSD dist in my 440 well worth the money. high quality piece easy to change the adv. springs. just remember you need HEI stlye spark plug wires for it.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:33 PM
Inactive User

I'm running a complete MSD system on a 383. 6AL box, pro-billit distributor, blaster coil, tach adapter, and even MSD 8 mm wires. Overall, everything went together without too many issues. What little issues I encountered are detailed below.

Distributor:
It only has 28 degrees total advance. Depending on what your engine wants for a total advance, you may have to set the final advance and let the initial advance fall where it may.

You will probably want to go with lighter advance springs and the smallest advance bushing. The change is fairly easy to do but those little springs can be a pain to find if you drop one inside your engine compartment.

6AL box:
Figuring out where to mount the box can take a few minutes. I couldn't get the tack output to work with my in-dash tach and ended up buying a tach adapter. Make sure you determine how your tach is triggered (voltage or current). The instructions detail that. You also want to connect the power for the 6AL box to a source that is available when the key is on AND when starting the car. As for wiring it up, I just followed the instructions and everything connected pretty easily.

Wires:
You have to trim them to length then crimp the ends on. The wierd crimping tool that comes with the wires is, in my opinion, worthless. I bought their 'deluxe' crimping tool which works much, much better. The wire kit comes with a variety of terminals so make sure you have the correct ones for whatever cap style you're using.

Overall I'm very pleased with the setup. It has never given me any problems since I installed it. Anyway, I hope this helps...