Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-26-2002, 12:16 AM
Inactive User

rolleyes 318 to 383 or 400?

I have been working on my car and basicly have rebuilt all the brake system and suspension. I planned on leaving the 318 in my car but my dad was under it looking at and noticed that one of the freeze plugs was leaking. He removed it and the block has a lot of trash in and some lime in it. Since I'm going to remove the motor I am considering replaceing it with a big block. I would like a 440 but would be happy with a b motor. I know of two motors that can be bought right now. I don't know very much information about each motor right now but I will update it when I find out more. Here is what I know now.

383: it's in a (friend said it's 65 fury) I think it's a 67-69 fury or well it's just a big oh honking boat. Actually not a bad looking car body wise. I would have to purchase the whole car to get the motor ( I don't know the asking price yet). The friend said he thought it had a/c and ps which I need for my car.

400: the same friend told me about it. He was pretty sure it was a four barrel carb motor and it has a/c and ps. With this motor I don't have to buy the car. He bought some parts from this guy for his Duster and said the guy was cheap on parts so I am guessing I can get a good deal on it.

I know this is very little to no information but which of these motors would be best? Which one would have (or could have)better heads on it?

What I would do to the motor would be limited for now but I would upgrade it as I get more money. If I got the 400 I would do a valve job, get a set of flat tops to raise compression, and a cam close the the specs of the Road runner purple shaft cam (probaly a comp cam), an aluminum intake and a different carb? The 383 a valve job, same cam, intake and carb as the 400 would get. I want a motor with some kick to it but don't have very much money to spend on it just yet. One thing I am considering later is 440 crank to make a stroker.
Old 09-26-2002, 12:31 AM

Moulder...

Go for the complete car with the 383...why?

You get the automatic tranny from it...your old tranny won't work with a bigblock.

You can use the driveshaft...you might have to have it sized to properly fit.

You get tons of little extra's that would cost you a small fortune to buy new.

You may be able to use parts such as the radiator, hoses, etc.

You will have a complete set of accessory brackets for ps, alt., etc.

When you finish stripping everything off the donor car you can scrap it out, or if it has any good parts left you might be able to sell them to offset the cost of the car.

Good luck,
Mopar_Maniac
Old 09-26-2002, 01:06 AM
Inactive User

Same here. Get the 383. All the parts will come in handy. But thats the parts designed for it. I also the the 383 is a better motor.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:15 AM
Inactive User

rub out that third sentence.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:07 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

The 383 has a fordged crank. The 400 has a cast crank. They interchange. A 400 is a big bore 383.
The 383 comes with everything on the little parts list like said before. It is a better deal that includes the tranny and rear. Cut the axle's down and narrow the rear to fit in your car. An old trick used in "A" body rides looking for a 8 3/4 rear cheap.
Or sell the rear to help recoupe money's.
Heads....I don't know.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:18 AM
Inactive User

Default 383

I would have to agree go with the 383 For many reasons.
To start with all that have been mentioned all ready.
The compretion ratio will all ready be better then 9:5 more
then likely 10;1.
I couldn`t say much about the heads not Knowing the year.
The 383 also has a forged steel crank shaft Wich is a good thing for many reasons.
The 400 does not.
You will notice quit a diferance in performance compaired to your 318 on its best day.
As previously mentioned There are a lot of small things you will
need from the other car.
What ever the extra cost may be it would pay you back in parts.
and spair part.
Also you should be able to hear it run befor you spend your $$

Hope it helps Dirty Dan