Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-28-2002, 03:38 AM
Banned

Help Sugestions for asphault racer

I'm parking my dirt car and bought a car from Eddie Pitman racecars. At Nashvile Fairgrounds Speedway in Tn. we must use 360's with a max. of .040 overbore,stock heads and 2.02 in 1.60 ex valves,cast iron 2bbl. intake,500 cfm holley 2 bbl.,stock cast exhaust manifolds with max 2.5" pipe exitting behind drivers seat, 3sp. manual,and any rear.
Need sugestions for best stock intake and exhaust manifolds and a dual pattern cam. Cam lift can't exceeed .500. Track is high banked 5/8 mile,cars are 114" wheelbase and 3200 lbs. after race.
Thanks for any help offered.
Old 09-28-2002, 05:21 AM
Inactive User

I dont know of an intake that bolts right up to a 500 holley so cant help there, you will need an adapter.
As for exhaust manifolds get them off a newer Ram, they are awesome, I was also informed that the first year of the Dakota RT had at least 2 1/2 outlets so that might be worth checking into.
Good luck!
Old 09-28-2002, 05:31 AM
Banned

Default Thanks

Thanks cage man. I have the adapter for the intake just need to know which ones best. I'm not used to running an engine as restricted as this. I wished I could use the '68 high rise single plane 318 but the ports are too small for the 360 and we can't modify them. Or at least I don't know how to do it with out getting caught.
Old 09-28-2002, 08:31 AM
Inactive User

Good morning, I must say your post surprised me-not because you made it-but because I don't know who you are. Shelbyville is a small town, I thought I knew all the Mopar racers(we are in the minority).

I don't know much about the Nashville rules, nor do I have any parts to help with; but I may know some folks who might be of help(Nashville experience).

Come on by our shop sometime(109 Hay Street-in the back) we are there most evenings.

Besides, I need to know more of our county's fine law enforcement-they keep me straight and "out of trouble".

Or, we may have already met-you might have arrested me before!!!!!!!!

Charles Sanborn
Old 09-29-2002, 03:17 AM
Banned

Thanks for the invite Sanborn. Just might take you up on it some time.
I've seen you guys a couple of times. You had that late model at a car show at the fairgrounds a few years ago.
I blew a u-joint during hotlaps at winchester one year and ask someone at the trailer if you had one, but you did not. Didn't figure you would running quick changes, but worth a shot. Got lucky,Advance was just about to close when I walked in and they had one.
Should've put it on the trailer. It was a sign. Started outside front row and thought I'd let the leader go and settle in behind him.Something caught my eye and I looked left and here come a car wot pushing from the bottom up. He went right over the front of my cars fenders hood and all and out of the track off the middle of 1 and 2. It squatted the suspension so much that the headers hit the ground and closed up tube 3 and 7 at the heads. It also jammed the clutch. It was like I had my foot on the pedal and could not go anywhere.
Do you believe in signs? I should've that night .
Old 09-29-2002, 07:39 AM
Inactive User

You have been around for some time! That car show was 4-5 years ago. We won the class. Several Nashville Fairgrounds racers got real upset we were in the same class as they. Wanted us in a separate "show car only" class. They couldn't believe the car had already raced two years, been clipped once. Oh well!

There are some times you are better off putting the car on the trailer- If you need to take a valve cover off at the track, you are not properly prepared. If you must do major repair to the suspension-someone other than the driver should do it- It's too easy for a driver to lose "focus", "concentration" or "brain swells/balls shrink", etc. If we must buy a tire at the track-we never get it grooved/sipped properly (due to time). But (sigh), we tend to get wrapped up in the "heat of the moment" and race anyway- often regretting it later!

You know, I love my Bassett Hounds. I have three (Rudy and Marty, so named for Rudoph Valentino and Marty Robbins because they howl so beautiful) who are full bloodied Bassetts; then there is Kujo-who thinks he is a Bassett(because he was was raised by Rudy/Marty)- but is really a Rotweiller. Anyway, they wanted in after their morning checkout of the neighborhood, So here they are, all excited, jumping up/down, wagging tails, etc. Kujo's tail hit my coffee cup beside the computer like Barry Bonds hits a baseball-POW!- cups goes flying, coffee goes flying all over everything-me, rug, table, computer,etc. Had to get it cleaned up before Mama wakes up! Now, I've lost my train of thought .
Old 09-30-2002, 01:44 PM
Banned

Sanborn, sounds like those dogs got it in for ya. What you do forget to feed them?
Old 09-30-2002, 07:18 PM

Lightbulb 360 2 bbl Intake

There is a 360 single plane 2 bbl intake out there. As a matter of fact, I have one with the adaptor plate bolted to it. They don't flow as well as the bi-plane 4 bbl intakes, but you have to follow some rules. If I were located a little closer, it would be easy to hook you up with the intake. You should be able to find one there if you look in the salvage yards. There is a considerable difference in the size of the intake compared to the 273/318 intake I have.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:17 PM
Banned

340king I agree there is a lot of difference in port size between a 318 and 360. I've never seen a single plane 2bbl 360. I've seen plenty of dual planes though. Do you have a pic,some casting or part numbers? I have seen a '68 318 single plane and wondered if it could be work over by what someone said was extrude honning to look stock and flow like the 360. I have a couple of those laying around already.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:30 AM
Inactive User

dwc43, do you have a written copy of the engine rules for the Fairgrounds? If not, you need to get a copy. Those guys play serious games with serious money.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:49 PM
Banned

Sanborn,Yeah got this years rules. The modified street rules really bite. Our dirt cars have more engine. Heck my street cars have had more engine than these do.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:08 PM
Inactive User

There is a set of 98 RT exhaust manifolds for sale on the parts for sale forum, in the truck section, check em out. He doesnt have a price on there though.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:16 PM
Banned

Thanks cageman. I looked a day ago and did not see them. Guess I better look more often.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:47 PM
Inactive User

Got a tip from Dave Hughes, get an intake from an 80 - 82 Imperial 318efi. Same port size as 360, about an 1" taller and lots more plenum volume. The people that I have shown this manifold too agree that it's better than the stock 360.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:03 PM
Inactive User

80-82 EFI huh, Imperial, what does the car look like, Im just not familiar with it I guess. Ahh the Internet showed me that they are miradas with a makeover, There is one in my local junkyard Ill have to look at it.Are the heads anything special or what, Im curious now
Old 10-02-2002, 07:43 AM
Banned

Confused

Thanks guys. I did not know they put efi on an '82. Jmb would you happen to have a pic of this thing so i know what to look for? Maybe cageman could get me one since he knows where the car is at. I have never even seen one on the road much less in a salvage yard around here. If I need it maybe cage man could send me that one if you don't buy it for yourself. No hard feelings if you do either. Thanks again for the help guys. Got to get this one right out of the box the first time so I can go chebby huntin
Just in case you are wondering it is a '74 Charger. Can you imagine this thing blue and red. Eddie Pittman built it for this guy and I bought it from him and need to complete it. Got tired of playing in the clay dirt with my old dirt tracker.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:19 AM
Inactive User

Default Heres a picture

Here is a picture that I found, they didnt make to many of these I guess.http://www.imperialclub.com/YearbyYe.../black81tn.jpg
Old 10-02-2002, 11:08 AM
Inactive User

Nothing special with the heads as far as I know. The EFI system on these cars was crap, Chrysler sold and (supplied at n/c to some owners) a change over kit to a 2bbl carb. So if you know of anyone with these cars they may have the o.e. manifold
Old 10-02-2002, 03:49 PM
Banned

Thanks cageman for the pic. I do remember these old cars now that I've seen it. Still don't remember seeing any aroud here localy though. Guess they did not sell. Do you or JMB have a pic of the manifold? Sure would like to see what this strange piece looks like. Thanks David
Old 10-02-2002, 07:59 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb Red & Blue Charger?

Hey DWC43. If you're going to paint the car red and blue, why not go all the way and paint it like king Richard did?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74dodge.jpg (5.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-03-2002, 03:03 AM
Inactive User

Default Or like this, HA HA

Here is a winston cup Imperial, what the heck.

I went to my sponsor's junkyard and he will not part out the car and He said he wants to be buried with the thing, he thinks it is special because it has like 1000 miles and it hasnt been converted over to a carb. He likes owning a piece of dodge history. Oh well, we went onto the interchange computer thing and we found one in new mexico and tommorow hes calling on it, The car has the weirdest air cleaner and a cumbustion computer in it too, The inside of the air cleaner has like a power window motor in it, I could not get the darn thing off cause I think the electric motor bolts to the intake maybe and I didnt want to disturb his dead car too much.http://www.imperialclub.com/YearbyYe...ddy/sidetn.jpg
Old 10-03-2002, 07:00 AM
Banned

Biggrin Re: Red & Blue Charger?

Quote:
Originally posted by DYNO360
Hey DWC43. If you're going to paint the car red and blue, why not go all the way and paint it like king Richard did?

That's what I was hinting at!!!! You win the prize!!!!
Old 10-03-2002, 07:07 AM
Banned

Default Re: Or like this, HA HA

Quote:
Originally posted by cageman
Here is a winston cup Imperial, what the heck.

I went to my sponsor's junkyard and he will not part out the car and He said he wants to be buried with the thing, he thinks it is special because it has like 1000 miles and it hasnt been converted over to a carb. He likes owning a piece of dodge history. Oh well, we went onto the interchange computer thing and we found one in new mexico and tommorow hes calling on it, The car has the weirdest air cleaner and a cumbustion computer in it too, The inside of the air cleaner has like a power window motor in it, I could not get the darn thing off cause I think the electric motor bolts to the intake maybe and I didnt want to disturb his dead car too much.http://www.imperialclub.com/YearbyYe...ddy/sidetn.jpg

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a real weird set up. i tried everything I know to get that link to work, but I could not. Server may be down. I'll try latter tonight. You must have all the clubs on your favorits list. Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:44 PM
Inactive User

Default Magnum Exhaust manifolds

The magnum exhaust manifolds have full two inch ID hole in the outlet. They look like good flowing pieces, with internal flow straighteners and all. Although the 68-70 340 ones would be better (in my opinion) On my A-body the passenger side fit fine, but the driver's side hit the steering box and exited right at the clutch Z-bar. Now we can run headers, so I have a set for sale. The only problem is the shipping from here would be very expensive.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:53 PM
Banned

Default Re: Magnum Exhaust manifolds

Quote:
Originally posted by 340duster1
The magnum exhaust manifolds have full two inch ID hole in the outlet. They look like good flowing pieces, with internal flow straighteners and all. Although the 68-70 340 ones would be better (in my opinion) On my A-body the passenger side fit fine, but the driver's side hit the steering box and exited right at the clutch Z-bar. Now we can run headers, so I have a set for sale. The only problem is the shipping from here would be very expensive.

The mopar engine book says to use a magnum left and a '68-'70 340 right for the best combo. If I can get both sets I'll just do a little testing and see for myself. Where are you and what do you want for them? I'll check ups and see whjat it cost. They have a depot near by. Thanks,David
Old 10-03-2002, 05:23 PM
Inactive User

$50US + shipping. And I live in Alberta Canada, (that's what I paid for them). To guess at the shipping it would be $50+.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:28 PM
Banned

That's where I thought you were from. Price aint bad but I hope your wrong on the shipping. They are closed now so I'll check tommorrow and see for sure. I'll get back to you and let you know if I want them soon. Thanks again, David
Old 10-03-2002, 06:43 PM
Inactive User

I used a 340 left and a magnum right, which worked fine. You could probably open up the magnum outlet quite a bit and still get a seal.

I really noticed an HP increase going to headers, so any porting work you can do on the manifolds would likely be a benefit.
If you get any extra 340 right side manifolds I need one for my 1970 340 duster.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:24 PM
Inactive User

Idea

If they WONT let you open the outlets...the big outlet pieces from the factory are:

92-93 Dakota 5.2/318
92-93 D-Series 5.2/318
93 D-Series 5.9/360

On intakes...I've heard the 2bbl guys really like the 89(?)-92 Throttle Body Injection intake...I dunno how different it is from the old Impy job...but it's a fairly big plenum piece...with a little directory work on the floor...Red

Thanks for the pic of Arrington's old man's car...I forgot how tuff lookin that thing was...even if lookin tuff was all it ever did...lol
Old 10-09-2002, 05:31 PM
Banned

Thanks Red Eye. I'll check them out. Do you know what size the exhaust outlet is?