Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-29-2002, 09:52 PM

Default Calipers

Can anyone tell me if the Kelsey Hayes pin type calipers for the 10 and 11.75 inch rotors are the same?

I have a '62 B-body that was already converted, but it has 10" rotors on it and I can't find them anywhere. From what I have read, the only difference is the rotors and the brackets. Would rather have the big rotors anyway.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:51 AM
Inactive User

If it's already converted rotors are available through Autozone, Kragens, Pep Boys and others are you asking for 73 Duster, 78 Cordoba or similiar?
The rotors are the same the caliper adapters for the 10" and 11" are different, you could also get caliper adapters in both sizes for Sliders.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:06 AM

The reason that I am asking this is because I need to replace the rotors, and if I am doing this, I thought I would go with the bigger rotors for a little extra stopping power if it wasn't too much trouble. It has the small 2 piece rotors on it now, and if I could just change the caliper brackets and 11.75 rotors would bolt on, that would be great. I am using 15' wheels already, so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for reply
Old 09-30-2002, 12:52 PM

Once you find the correct caliper adapter, I may be willing to take the existing adapters off of your hands, if the price is right.

Ed
Old 09-30-2002, 02:26 PM
Inactive User

Be careful here! There are differences in the spindles between 72 and older, and 73 and newer. Be sure of what you have before spending $.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:23 AM
Inactive User

Zorb it sounds like your car is equipped with the brake system in the older cars before 1970, I thought you had converted to the A, E- body spindles for 70 and newer vehicles. If your calipers are mounted on the rear its the old system and you need knuckles from a 73-76 A-body with disc to convert to the pin or slider type which will move the caliper to the "front" and cause cause sway bar interference if equipped. Goodmark was making replacement rotors for the before 70 brake systems I don't know of another vendor. The conversion is worth the effort and expense to keep safe brakes on your ride. Let the group know what you have on the car now.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:53 AM

After reading this, I am not sure what is on it. I will have to take it apart this weekend and measure the spindles to be sure.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:31 PM
Inactive User

If you have two piece rotors and a rigid mounted 4 piston caliper then you have '72 or older brakes on there. Most likely what you have is the setup from a '67 to '69 B body car since the '70 to '72 brakes used a single piston floating caliper. That early system is actually a fairly rare setup and worth some money to guys restoring such a car.

What you most likely want to do is to find a '73 to '76 A body car and pull the entire front brake system off of it. That will give you the later big bearing knuckles so you can run the unicast rotors. Then you can run either 11 inch or 111.75 rotors depending on which caliper adapter you have. They come in two flavors, slider or pin type.