Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-29-2002, 11:50 PM
Inactive User

Default Proper oil ring pack installation

Well, I'm still on the learning curve here fellas so I would like to know the proper way to install the oil rings on my 340. I know about the top and second ring but what about gapping the oil ring. What about the tension. My 340 is overbored .030 and I am using .040 over cast rings so I can get the end gaps the way they should be. They don't make a .035 oversize cast ring set so this is the way to go. My last set of oil rings that were .030 over size didn't even have any tension or resistance when I placed them in the cylinder to check them. They would have fallen right through the block. Whats up? The the top and bottom rails seemed o.k. when on the piston but didn't seem right when fitted to the cylinder. Who knows what this means?
Old 09-30-2002, 01:54 PM
Inactive User

The oil rings use a tensioner to force them against the cylinder wall, that's the wavy ring that goes on first. the two thin rings actually ride on it, and it creats most of the tension. I think the oilers would get gapped the same as the compression rings, and I would be careful of the tensioner being too tight, with it being .010 oversize. My $.02.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:33 PM
Inactive User

Question Gapping the oil ring set??

As far as I know there is no gapping involved with the oil ring set. The 2 thin rings and the wavy stainless peices have to be "assembled" on the lower groove of your piston correctly. Just follow the instruction VERY CAREFULLY because I have found the speed PRO moly ring sets that I have used the past few times to be a bit confusing at first. Once you get it in your hands it really only goes together one way that will keep its shape correctly.