Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-30-2002, 08:39 AM
Inactive User

Default I Need Help Deciding On Which Heads

I'm re-evaluing the heads that I have chosen for the stroker 340 I'm still in the process of collecting all the parts for, presently I have a pair of Mopar Performance - 340 HP Head - 2.02" intake / 1.60" exhaust - these heads are cast iron but feature the lastest in swirl port technology, 166cc intake volume, 18-degree valve angle. How would these compare to a pair of Edlebrock aluminun heads? (I assume Edlebrock would be a good choice.) Also I see Edlebrock sells two differents heads, the Performer and the Performer 340, for a stroker which ones a better choice??

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:31 AM
Inactive User

Although the high swirl is a great head for certain applications, I feel that they might be slightly on the small side for a stroker. I might be wrong though, I have underestimated their potential before. Just checked and there is only 5 cc difference in the intake port volumes between the E-brocks and your high swirls. I assume that you have measured them; I wouldn't rely on any number given by MP. I believe there is porting templates available for those heads and if I used those heads I would port them.The intake port in those heads tend to have a very large pushrod pinch; I would also remove as much of it as possible to gain some port window at that point. With the bigger displacement you can use all you can get. They are good heads and might be a good choice.

Edelbrocks is another moderately priced alternative. They perform well too. I would consider the RPM head, not the 340 RPM. The 340 RPM is amchined to an open chamber head because of the positive deck height of the early 340's and is specially meant for these engines. Using them in some other engines just makes some unnecessary hassle, more difficult to figure out the quench distance (clearance between the piston top and the chambers blamk side) This clearance should be set at .040" for good results and still be safe, of course this often recuires that the pistons have a D shaped dish in bigger displacement pump gas versions for proper CR, but this is the way the engine should be built. That's why I personally would prefer the Edelbrocks over the high swirls, since they are an open chamber design the proper quench is more dificult to achieve. A quench engine will tolerate mor CR than a non quench (starts to get worse after .040" and the quench is totally lost at .080") engine and therefore run better and make more power. Although there are well performing non qhuenchers too, I feel making it a quench engine is worth the extra work.

Sorry this became so long and slightly off the subject; personally I would pick the E-brocks for several reasons, lighter, repairable etc etc., but since you already have the high swirls that would make the choice way more difficult and I would propably end up using them. But you didn't mantion what kind of engine you are after and that's why I'm just assuming.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:30 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

A stroker to 400+ciubes? No matter which one you have, port them out. I assume this is not a truck pulling engine.
The MP heads flow less than the Edel.'s in there as is cast condition.
For a good story , look at the current issue of Mopar Muscle.
The smog heads they ported are no slouch's.

The RPM Edel. heads are the same minus the extra machining on the 340 head in order to clear the positive deck pistons the early 340's had.
Do a search on Edel. heads. In the search, "Roger", a Edel. tech, tells you whats what.
The info is also in there catolog.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:28 AM

Question Attn: pro-street dart

If you are considering different cylinder head options, please e-mail me.
I have a question/suggestion/offer.
Myron

locomo@bellsouth.net
Old 10-02-2002, 09:50 AM
Inactive User

Myron - Check your e-mail.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:40 PM

Gripe My ISP is acting up!

I wasn't able to send out an email but will try again later!

Myron
Old 10-02-2002, 02:47 PM
Inactive User

Ok! I'll watch for it. - Thanks.