Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-02-2002, 07:14 PM
Inactive User

Default Ralleye Tach

Does any one know how to get a stock Ralleye Tach to work off MP Elec.Ign.It works off the old dual point.I heard they make a clarifier somewhere? Its on a A-Body 70 340 Duster
Old 10-02-2002, 09:43 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

I think the late model ebodys that had ralley gagues had electronic ignition like the 72-73 challengers and cudas! There were however 7 Grand tachs and I belive the 70-71 were 8 grand! Not 100% though!
Old 10-02-2002, 10:11 PM
Inactive User

I'll be interested in hearing what you find out about this. I have a 72 duster 340 and I recently scored a Rallye dash shell I want to install with my Rallye Cluster with the 6k tach. I recently finished restoring the cluster and it looks primo. I have an MSD 6a which I can plug the tach into, but not sure what will happen. I may need an adapter according to the MSD instructions.

good luck

Bruce
Old 10-03-2002, 12:57 AM
Inactive User

Its a 6000 rpm tach,and they are very hard to come bye.Thank God for E-Bay.The wire print shows just one green wire to the neg coil.A modern tach works like this,but the stock tach will not.MSD makes a tach adapter for their msd6a setup,but I dont know if it will cross over to MP elec. ign. and either do they.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:01 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

I have MSD 6AL which I use with a autometer tach that no tach adapt is used! Hook it up if it dont work right you know the problem!
Old 10-05-2002, 07:34 PM
Inactive User

A modern Tach works off the neg.coil. with the MP elec. Ign. MSD says their tach adapter simulates the voltage off the neg coil.Ill probly have the ralleye tach reworked with modern tech.this is becoming a hassle
Old 10-05-2002, 10:43 PM
Inactive User

I have a ralley dash/tach in my '70 Cuda with a Crane HI 6 ignition system. Ended up having to buy Crane's tach adapter (electronic filter) to get the stock tach to work. (Which was kind of pricey...around $40). Later on I added a Autometer tach. Again, for some reason or another, I needed to use this same filter to get the tach to run right.
Old 10-06-2002, 05:28 PM
Inactive User

I went Cranes web site.They offer 2 adapters.One is for module triggers,and the other is for mag. triggers.MP elec ign. is a mag. pickup I think,and these old ralleye tachs are current sensing.
Old 10-06-2002, 05:51 PM
Inactive User

I've never seen an electronic tack, that didn't work off the negative side of the coil. Even factory ones on point cars.

The old tack in your car should work. It senses the break in the field current caused by the points,or caused by the ignition module on an electronic car. The coil itself still works in exactly the same way, the only difference is what breaks the current(beaker points or a module triggered by magnetic pick up)

The msd stuff is different(adapter usually required), because the voltage to the coil is higher, and breaks many times instead of once per fire stroke.

In short, I don't see why the factory trach wouldn't work with mopar ignition, unless there is something wrong with it.

I've got a Gas Ronda signature series tack from a 69 ford that works on anything I put it on.(I don't put it on the van...ewww!)

ps. The factory tach works in my dad's 66 charger, (with add on mp electronic ignition) and it did in his 69 charger as well.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:11 PM
Inactive User

I replaced the dual point ignition in my '70 440 Cuda with the MP electronic conversion kit (orange box). The tach worked fine. When I went to the MSD 6AL, I had to buy the tach adapter. It's a pain and costly, but its' the only way to get the stock tach to work. Watch out though, when I used an old timming light, the one you hook up to the spark plug wire directly, I fried it. So with the MSD, use only an induction type.