Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-03-2002, 03:19 PM
Inactive User

Default Charger vs. Audi Allroad

OK, this forum needs some fresh material.

So last spring I had to pick up my 70 Charger 500 from a friends. He had just installed the new CompCams XE274 cam and 1.6 roller rockers. My then-med-student buddy (we're both residents now) was driving me out to this guys house, 40 minutes away. We were in his 2001 (2002?) Audi Allroad (twin-turbocharged, 5-valve six with 250 net HP). He kept remarking to me on the drive over how impressed he was with his car; "it's the fastest car I have ever ridden in" etc. This is how it is with most of my classmates, growing up on their daddys' Beemers, etc. When I picked up the car, test drove it, paid the friend for his (always excellent) work, we left for home. My friend pulled alongside the, of course, deserted stretch of road next to me in the Charger, and wanted to run. It was so stinkin' hilarious to see him stay with me for all of about 1-2 seconds, then he just gave up after 1/8 mile or so. When he pulled up next to me again, I asked what his excuse was, but he was too anxious to now go for a ride in my old "dinosaur". After I broke the tires loose shifting into 2nd, he admitted he was hooked, and Audi-power did not seem so impressive...

I have to admit, though, my Charger does not seem as rock-steady at 120 as his Audi did.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:31 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

His car was ment to ride consistant at 120mph..your car was meant to get there consistantly faster.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:53 AM
Inactive User

What a bozo #$% remark that last one is. All the freakin Charger needs is to have the front end rebuilt with a new steering box and front and rear sway bar, and bigger torsion bars.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:13 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

all he needs to do is have about 500lbs removed, his unsprung weight(all the overhang in front of and behind his axles) a rack on pinion steering setup, all wheel disk breaks(dont use the Wilwood conversion), lower the car about 1 inch, straighten out the leif springs, change his master cylinder. Put sway bars front and rear with poly urethane bushings...THEN he might equal the Audi in cornering. Why do I say all those things? Because I have rebuilt a suspension to modern standards and those are the things different between 60s cars and today. If you want to go even further, tubular control arms and an independent rear suspension. And put the battery above the rear diff(in the trunk).
And maybe even retro fit some coil over springs front and rear. Fiberglass hood, aluminum heads/waterpump/intake. Lightweight fly wheel. To make a seriose "G Machine" you have to modify the oil pick scree so it will swivle and keep submerged in the oil. OR go to a dry sump oil system. The Carb would also have to be modified so it will keep a relativly constant level of gas or it will make the engine run lean when your heavy into a corner and all the fuel sloshes to one side of the carb causing the fuel float to bottom out.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:58 AM
Inactive User

Alright, let's do it then. I want to see this audi get it's ass kicked. Are you a doc yet? Can ya afford the parts?
Old 10-09-2002, 03:17 PM
Inactive User

Wink It's all about priorities...

Yep, I am a doc ( = have my MD), but I am still in residency, so net deficit greatly exceeds my current income (give me a few more years, though... my wife is a lawyer!)

Anyway, even if I did have enough money to reengineer the entire car, I would spend the money elsewhere, because I enjoy my Charger for the car that it is (weakness and all). Sure, I will spend more money here and there on the Charger, but I will never make such radical changes. I tend to agree with Maxwedge; these cars were built with two entirely different purposes in mind. Don't worry though, my buddy with the Audi knows that the mopar would kick his a** in the most important area: EYEBALL FLATTENING ACCELERATION!

My story (though completely accurate) was told simply to bring a smile to some of your little faces, not to start a controversy.

However, did anybody see the '68 Charger that was in all of the mags a while back that WAS reengineered with all of the suspension changes, etc, and a Viper V10? I would bet that Charger would give most any factory sports car or musclecar a run for their money!
Old 10-09-2002, 03:54 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

I mearly brought those changes up to prove a point, that more than a stock rebuild would be required to keep up with the Audi in the corners.
Mopar to ya
Old 10-09-2002, 03:56 PM
Inactive User

Yep. Saw the V10 Charger. I fell in love, got my heart broken when I realized I would never own a car approaching that magnitude, got depressed, then I went back to my second true love (after my wife, she may read this!) my good old '48 pickup. I'm happy again.