Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-05-2002, 07:27 PM
Inactive User

Default Power To Manual Steering?

WHAT ARE THE DIFFICULTIES IN CHANGING FROM POWER TO MANUAL STEERING? MY 66 FURY HAS POWER STEERING NOW BUT THE HEADERS ARE SO CRAMPED TO THE UNIT IT DESTROYS HOSES,THE UNIT LEAKS AND PLUS THE DRAG OF THE PUMP WILL CUT INTO MY NEW 600HP MOTOR.MANUAL CASES ARE ALUMINUM SO THE WEIGHT SAVINGS ON THE FRONT END IS A PLUS.WILL THE MANUAL BOLT UP TO THE EXISTING STEERING COLUMN JOINTS.I KNOW MANUAL AND POWER STEERING PITMAN ARMS ARE DIFFERENT SO THAT WILL HAVE TO CHANGE.I JUST LOOK AT IT AS ONE LESS OIL SPOT UNDER THE CAR.ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE NICE.THANKS
Old 10-06-2002, 04:10 AM
Inactive User

The steering column shaft will be too short to mate up to the new box. Firm Feel makes a piece that will make up the difference. Wow 600 HP! Whats in the motor? Good luck Ron
Old 10-06-2002, 09:09 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

How much of an HP loss do you think the P/S unit is zapping from the engine?
Other than a new box, which I remember you saying something about, the swap meets are cheap. Mixed bag there.
It might be easier to get the whole colum with the correct length shaft. Seldm do I see them sold alone/without the colum.
Or donor car. But they can be a pain as well. Haveing a whole car sitting around collecting dust and rust.
Say, heres a thought. Did you ask firm feel if they have the part?
Also, I have a on topic question. Is cutting the shaft out?

(Is your caps button broke?)
Old 10-06-2002, 11:27 AM
Banned

600HP!!! your right you need to get rid of that P/s and fast....P/S and Brakes have no business being in a race car
Old 10-06-2002, 01:31 PM
Inactive User

Usually I rid myself of power steering for ease of maintainence, NO leaking, and especially for the weight saving over the front wheels.
Old 10-06-2002, 05:16 PM
Inactive User

Traded a manual box and shaft for a power steering pump and chuck, the unit has braided lines with screw on fittings, no problem with heat or leaks. 15.7 to 1 power steering keeps you outta trouble much better than a 20.1 manual box that requires super effort to maneuver at certian speeds. An incorrect fit of the steering shaft will let enough hot air in the car summer and winter that a heater delete option should be considered.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:38 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

The power differance and weight differance will be very little probably couldnt tell. The change in air temprature or humidity would result a better time at the track. But I like my manual gear box. Its origanal in a 73 Duster and it is NOT aluminum just for referance!
Old 10-07-2002, 10:45 AM
Inactive User

Cuda has a good point about p/s p/b on a race car, but one more thing I have had happen to keep in mind. My '74 Duster had standard steering and standard brakes, and I still got into trouble at the other end of the track. I shut down at the timers because I saw smoke in my mirrors and smelled oil but I got freaked out when I tried to turn and it wouldn't! In a second or two, I realized the stupid steering column had locked when I turned the key off! I bumped it one position and all was well again. This prompted me to do two things, which I think are mandatory on race cars, regardless of the rules. I took the steering column apart and removed the lock mechanism, and I put a big toggle switch on the dash to kill the engine and fuel pump in case of emergency. I no longer needed the spare gotchies.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:06 PM
Inactive User

No weight difference? The Power box is cast iron and must weigh 50lbs. The manual pump is aluminum and weighs maybe 10lb.
The power steering has a pump, brackets, hoses and fluid. Probably weighs another 25lbs. That makes an easy 45lbs extra not to mention the allignment probs. and the unecessary drag on the engine. The alt. drag will syphen at least 5hp. and the extra weight over the front end, another 5hp. So you gave up at least 10 free hp. for a little convenience.