Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-08-2002, 12:36 PM
Inactive User

Default Sure Grip Rebuild

What must be done to re-build a sure grip. Which one is easyer to rebuild. what are the drawbacks.
diego-ted
Old 10-10-2002, 08:35 PM
Inactive User

There were two main types of sure grips. The easiest one to rebuild was the power lock type identified by several bolts around the carrier housing allowing it to be disassembled for repair. Don't know which you have? The other one, the Alburn type really had little provision to be repaired.

Buddy
Old 10-10-2002, 11:17 PM
Inactive User

There are 2 types like Buddy Branon said...
The clutch type is the easest to rebuild, The alburn CAN be repaired..I`ve done a few of them with good results...
If you look into the center of a suregrip you`ll see either a clutch pack or some springs...
If you see a clutch pack in yours, jump up and down..You have the good one...
If you see springs, you have a alburn SG don`t dispair. If it needs alittle freshing up just take it apart (remember how it go back together) and that the cones to a mech. shop and have the turn about .060" to .090" off the small end of each one then put it back together...If you want to add some more springs to hold it tighter you can but the ones I`ve done didn`t need it....
Hope this helps.
Joe
Indianapolis,In.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:42 PM

Default Rebuild kits available

Auburn Gear does offer a few different types of rebuild kits. Follow this link to see what's available, and give them a call. The part numbers listed aren't available for internet sales yet, but apparently you can call and order what you need.

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarke...lt.asp?page=sk

I don't know if the contents of these kits match our sure-grips or not, but they are listed at the bottom of the chart and they should know when you call them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't know if these service kits apply to all of the 9-1/4" differentials or just the new ones or just the old ones. Auburn also has a differential exchange program for their differentials that are four years old or newer, but that doesn't do much good for the older style 9-1/4" differentials...

Hope this helps.