Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-09-2002, 12:18 PM
Inactive User

Question What's up with Evernham?

To have been, arguably, the one of the best crew chiefs in the NASCAR, his teams have pretty muched sucked. Bill has done okay, but nothing real, real impressive. Jeremy Mayfield hasn't done much of anything. And poor ol Casey Atwood has talent coming out of his ears, but get shuffled around and has a different crew chief nearly every week. In fact Casey did better in the 19 car last year than Jeremy has done this year. Personally, I think that Ray did Casey dirty by moving him in the first place, but that is my opinion. Now Ray is threatening to get rid of Casey altogether. What's up with that? Casey did really well the last half of last year when Sammy Johns came on as crew chief. How does Ray expect him to improve and run well if the equipment and the money is not there to back him. We all know that Ultra Motorsports has never been a competitive race team. I was hoping that Ray would turn that around, but I guess I was wrong. Anyway, that's my rambling session for the day.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:03 PM
Inactive User

Gripe Look to the sponsor

You can bet that the Dodge dealers had something to do with Atwood getting canned from the 19. It's certainly not the first stupid thing they could have done!
Mayfield could just as well have gone to the 7, leaving Atwood and the Dew Crew time to gel.
You know it's pretty sour when the most memorable aspect of Mayfield's season is that TV ad with the bimbo!
Old 10-09-2002, 03:39 PM
Inactive User

Couldn't have said it better myself. Ray had said that it was because he wanted to get Casey away from so much pressure from the fans and sponsors of a high profile team. If that's the case, he shouldn't expect so much from the 7 team. Last year, Casey had more than 5 top tens, 1 top five, and sat on the pole after Sammy Johns came on as crew chief. That is making a statement as to how well the team was starting to communicate and work together. Why disrupt that? If Ray wanted Mayfield, he should have been willing to spend the money to start a third team or put him in the 7.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:25 PM
Inactive User

I agree with you guys, Atwood got hosed! The #7 team is supposed to have Jim Smith promoting it etc and Evernham doing everything else but it sure doesn't seem like it. I don't think they even work out of the same shop, Smith has a shop of his own. With what Atwood showed last year, for him to be shuffled from the 19 is just plain wrong in my book.