Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Neon Club Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-12-2002, 08:24 PM
Inactive User

Default converting to auto stick?

okay, this is just a mental rambling that I've had for a few days, and I just want to bounce it off some of you guys that might know better than me if it'll work. what I was thinking, was to convert my 2002 chrysler neon, with 4 speed automatic (41TE) to an auto stick setup used in the sebrings and now the PT turbo, both using the 41TE transmission. so what I'm wondering, is what would be required to switch to an auto stick setup, would it just be a matter of the shifter, and transmission computer, or am I talking replacing major parts of the transaxle? I don't plan on doing this any time soon, since the car still has 4 years of warantee left (5 year/ 100,000 km). but since I've been doing a co-op course at the local dodge dealer, I've had the opportunity to bundle up deemed "useless" parts. I'd ask the guys at the shop, but they only know how to fix the cars, not how to interchange stuff. thanks.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:54 PM
Inactive User

Well thats an interesting idea. I know you can go from auto to a manual. I have done 2 of those swaps. But the auto stick is a bit different. You might want to look at the tech manuals about them, find out how they are controlled/shifted and go from there.

P.S. You can get old parts? like used crap? I am building a 360 magnum car. Any thing for that motor might be helpful. I already have everything I need....but things come up sometimes. Just email me.

Ryan
Old 10-17-2002, 10:43 PM
Inactive User

thanks, I've been nooking into it a little further, and it is the same transaxle for both systems (4 speed, and autostick) so if I gather up parts for that sort of thing, than maybe when I'm done paying for the car, I'll try the swap. the whole idea started because my mother (the main driver of the car) doesn't like to drive stickshift cars, however, the current shifting style of the transaxle is too far before peak hp, and besides, nobody's ever done the swap before. it may meake a cool setup.\

by the way, I'm not sure what you'd need for you magnum powered car, unless you want to buy a sure grip diff from me, I doubt I can help.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:49 PM
Inactive User

The Engine PCM & Tranny PCM are combined into 1 PCM.

You'd need a new PCM that works with AutoStick trannies.

Maybe a custom flashed PCM, or one from a P/T Cruiser.
The P/T Cruiser has basically the same identical engine as the Neon. The 2.4L is pretty much just a bored out 2.0L. Sensors should be the same too.
You'd still have the problem of a non-turbo engine. hmmm
I imagine not having a turbo with a P/T Cruiser AutoStick Turbocharger PCM would set all sorts of trouble codes, so, you may want to get a turbo too. Just in case.

Donnie
Old 10-23-2002, 07:42 PM
Inactive User

hmm, you may be getting on to something there... if I do this in the future, long time in the future. I'll just have to come across a 2.4 turbo / auto stick PT, and get the driveline, and PCM from it. basically put, it would be an SRT-4, but a chrysler with auto stick. so what do I call it? the Chrysler Neon GTS?, or keep the mods going and use GLH? has to sound right too, without looking too wild, I like sleeper cars, which is why I usually stick to pickup trucks. I just thought that if this was a bolt in job, then I could sneak it in without much trouble, but if it's a whole driveline, then I'll use another car, or start with something else later. it still isn't going to stop me from gathering parts now though.