Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-14-2002, 02:13 AM
Inactive User

Help Carb and intake suggestions for 416 SB

I need some help in picking out a new intake for the wifes 416 73' Dart Sport . The current set up is a 800 Edelbrock on a Mopar M1 dual plane , sitting on a set of Edelbrock heads with Crane gold 1.6 rockers , camshaft is an Isky 280 Mega hydraulic ( 231 at 50 .495" lift w/ 1.6 rockers 108 LC ) . The stroker kit is from Mancini with the dished diamond pistons . The rest of the drive train is a Dynamic 91/2" converter , unsure of the stall speed as the Dart has no tach . 3.23 sure grip 8 1/4 " . The car has power steering , power brakes , and A/C . The 800 Edelbrock works but is not what I would call ideal . The M1 is also quite serviceable but I think technology has come up with something better in the last thirty years . All input is welcome and appreciated . Bill
Old 10-14-2002, 12:07 PM
Banned

What are you using this car for?
A/C?? whats that?

Tell me about the fuel delivery system from source to carb....lines, filter, pump, regulator.

What's the compression ratio?

How much timing at idle?...max?

What fuel are you running?

What's the vacuum in gear at idle?

What idle speed are you getting now?

Are you having drivability problems?

That 800 is either a 1412 or 1413 right?
Old 10-14-2002, 04:39 PM
Inactive User

my .02 i'd use a Performer RPM & a 3310 Holley,with a 3.23 gear i would definitely use a dual plane intake.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:37 AM
Inactive User

Cuda , I'll try and answer these in the order they were asked . The car is the wifes daily driver , so thats what the A/C is for . The fuel delivery is stock pick up and fuel lines , a Carter mechanical pump , no external regulator , and a wix inline fuel filter . Compression ratio is 9.8:1 . I don't know what the initial timing is , but it has 35 total , the distributor is the M.P. unit with vacum advance right out of the box . For fuel she is running 91 octane pump gas , but here in California it is the oxygenated stuff . I must shamefully admit I have not put a vacum gauge on this motor yet , but the motor seems to lose very little RPM when placed in gear . The car does not have a tachometer on it so I'll have to dig out an old dwell meter to tell exactley what the idle speed is , but it will probably fall between 800 and 900 RPM . It really doesn't have any driveability issues , but to quote the wife it has rather freightining fuel consumption , which doesn't bother me . I was disappointed in the performance at the drag strip , specifically the MPH . The best I could get it to go was 13.57 at 101 , and I felt like quite the hero to get a 13 .57 off the 225-60-15 no name radials . You are correct on the model number it's a 1413 .
bubby440 , the performer RPM is a great manifold , just not sure if it has mounting bosses for the A/C compressor . The 3310 is a good carb , I just don't like the straight leg boosters on it though , surely something better has come along in the last 30+ years . Bill
Old 10-15-2002, 06:59 AM
Banned

The car is the wifes daily driver
Jeeze I'm bet she spends as much time at the pump as she does on the road...lol

The fuel delivery is stock pick up and fuel lines
Are they 5/16 or 3/8 lines?

Carter mechanical pump
Is it the M4862 120 GPH or the stock 60 GPH version

M.P. unit with vacum advance right out of the box
We can really improve the performance and fuel milage by curving and phasing the distributor.

here in California it is the oxygenated stuff
We add lemon to that stuff and drink it for tea here in Oregon...

model number's a 1413 .
Here's what I would do....

Be sure you have the 120 GPH pump, you need at least that.

Take that Edelbrock and sell it to some kid with a 305 chebby....

Bolt on a 750 vac secondary Speed Demon with electric choke kit.

4x15 air filter

Curve the distributor to 14-16 initial and 36 max in at 2600.

Get some hides under it..your gonna need them.

Go back to the track and run a couple of 12.50's at 110 MPH and call me in the morning.

Once we get the right amount of fuel to it and the spark hitting at the right time we can go further but that needs to be addressed first and a baseline established.

...one thing at a time...tune up first then we start analyzing hard parts.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:40 AM
Inactive User

I beleive the fuel lines are 5/16 , but would not bet my life on it , I would go down stairs and check it out but it's 4 in the morning as I'm typing this . The fuel pump is the 120 gph strip pump , don't recall the model number . If you could steer me to the thread where you explain curving the distributor I would really apreciate it . HA HA very funny about the fuel here in California ( note the sarcasim ) .
As I recall you are a distributor of those fine barry grant demon carburetors , perhaps you have one in stock you wouldn't mind selling . Out here in L.A everybody seems to be down on Demon carbs for some reason . I had a 750 mechanical secondary speed demon on my 451 for a while and thought it was a fine carb .
The car already needs some hides on it , for the first two weeks after we put the motor together the wife took every opportunity to ignite the tires , she espescially loved that punchig it from a slow roll and having it get sideways !
If after putting a demon on it and curving the distributor I can get in to the twelves at a buck ten , I would be indebted to you Cuda66273. Thank you for the help . Bill
Old 10-16-2002, 12:14 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Heres a post that I'm really with Don.
A speed demon should be the ticket to your big inch small block.
A 3/8 line should be the min. and should do. The RPM (And most intakes) and A/C will have a mounting problem. Nothing a hot rodder can't fix.
Grab a tach so you can shift at the right time. Just with a tach alone, your time will drop. Shifting blind is one way to insure poor times.
With the said cam duration, I think that the RPM intake is best for what you want.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:12 AM
Banned

Check to the Rumblefish...

750 Speeder $399
Minimum 3/8th lines
That pump should work untill you hit the 12's, then your going to need to swap in a HR 220.

"Out here in L.A everybody seems to be down on Demon carbs for some reason"....the state that made the movie "Fast and Flurrious"?....no able to-oh el tuno the carbo...si....and in Florida they kept leaving the cardboard packaging chads on the bottom of the throttle plates....

How can I explain this.....???? could the correct term be "Scared of, rather than down on? Human nature tells us to be afraid of anything that's different or we don't understand.

Sorry about the calif. digs....I can't resist an opportunity to razz anyone from my favorite environmental logically impaired state.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:08 PM
Inactive User

Ok , will install 3/8 fuel line and 750 Speed Demon . How do I contact you about picking up that Demon ?

Only looking to go 12's so the fuel pump should be adequate .

No denying it , we did make that God awful so called movie , but hey not every movie we make is bad , remember Funny Car Summer ?

I don't really think it's a case of not being able to tune a Demon , it is after all nothing more than a really nice Holley , and if you can fall off a log you can probably get a Holley pretty close . Although I've seen guys that would have a hard time falling off a log ! I've talked to about a half dozen guys who either had Demons or new somebody who did and all of them have removed the Demon and put their old Holley back on . I'm not sure what there issues were but a couple of guys said they could not get the Demon to idle . Not sure what there problems were , I had a 750 mechanical Speeder on my Roadrunner , and it worked fine for me , it was just a little small for my application though .

Digs ? What digs ? Are gasoline is so powerfull and enviromentally friendly you can run 11's with it or just add lemon as you suggested and enjoy a refreshing beverage .

Bill
Old 10-16-2002, 04:18 PM
Inactive User

I thought funny car summer was filmed in and around Edmonton Alberta?
Old 10-16-2002, 06:44 PM
Banned

Isn't the official code postal abriviation for Canada "Ca."...just like that thar state???

Big radio talk show program here did a survey on whether Western Canada should be annexed into the USA as a another state...the vote was

36% No
59% Yes
5%...what's a Canada, I thought it already was and what language do they speak?

..back to biz-niz...

Just call me at 503-830-1368