Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-16-2002, 10:48 PM
Inactive User

Question Another Converter Question

Alright, so it looks like a Dynamic Converter is the way to go. Here is my current situation, maybe you guys can help with what I need since I always seem to be at school during Dynamic's business hours. I made a little money over the summer but I am only going to school right now so my bit of savings is only getting smaller which means "save up and get the $500 Dynamic converter" is not really an option since I don't have money coming in. Anyway, the car is a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T the 440 is .030 over, it has KB pistons with about 9.5 cr. The cam is Comp Cams Purple+ cam with .484/.484 and 239/246, the heads are 906 with 2.14/1.81 valves. The intake is a Performer RPM with a Carter 750 AFB. And finally I have headers. One problem I have is that I do not have the money for new gears so the current 3.23 is what I have to work with. My 727 is currently being rebuilt by a friend and he was asking about a new converter so here I am asking you what it sounds like I need. I noticed that Dynamic has an 11" and 12" Converter for reasonably cheap and becuase of my gears I don't think I want too high of a stall anyway. I will have a transmission cooler as well if that will affect the choice in anyway. So after that short(?) history of my car what do you guys think? I would definitely like to go with a Dynamic converter if I can keep it under $300 with shipping, but I don't know if that is feasible since I haven't been able to find a window in my schedule to call them during their business hours. Anyway, thanks for bearing with me if you made it this far.

Matt
Old 10-16-2002, 11:16 PM

At that performance level I think you'd be fine with a cheaper converter. I ran a generic brand 2600 11" converter for a lot of years with a hotter set up than that (also in a '69 charger). My rear gear varied (depending on my 3.35/hr job) from 2.76 to 3.91 with the 11" converter. I would spend the extra cash elsewhere in the car.

My $.02,

Greg
Old 10-17-2002, 12:41 AM

I would send Dynamic Converters an email with what you spec'd here. Ask them what their best recommendation is and how much it would cost along with S&H to your zip code.

Their more basic converters don't cost as much as the high end converters. I would honestly guess the 11" Street converter. I would also guesstimate the price at about $359.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:41 AM
Inactive User

Default Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies guys, I will send Dynamic and email tonight before I hit the sack. I just had one other question that was kind of bugging me even though there is probably a simple answer. If you buy a different size converter like 12" or 11" or 8 1/2" how do the teeth in the starter engage with the teeth on the converter for the different sizes since the starter stays in the same place? Are the teeth just different sizes to mesh up with the starter teeth? Anyway, I was just wondering, I have never done anything like this before. Thanks again for your help.

Matt
Old 10-17-2002, 01:53 AM
Inactive User

In my RR w/ a manual, the teeth engage the flywheel. I would assume the same applies to an automatic equipped car.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:48 AM
Inactive User

Hey Modro, thanks for the reply, I understand that the teeth engage the flywheel or torque converter I was just wondering how that works when you change the diameter of the torque converter since the outside circumference of the converter will change with the size of the diameter. Anyway, thanks for the input

Matt
Old 10-17-2002, 03:01 AM

On an automatic, the flywheel is a part of the torque converter. The flywheel size does not change. It is the converter body (the humped area that contains the internals) size that changes.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:12 AM
Inactive User

AHHHH!!! That is the precise answer I was hoping for, thanks a bunch ehostler.

Matt
Old 10-17-2002, 11:26 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: Thanks for the replies

Quote:
Originally posted by Hard_ChargerR/T
Thanks for the replies guys, I will send Dynamic and email tonight before I hit the sack. I just had one other question that was kind of bugging me even though there is probably a simple answer. If you buy a different size converter like 12" or 11" or 8 1/2" how do the teeth in the starter engage with the teeth on the converter for the different sizes since the starter stays in the same place? Are the teeth just different sizes to mesh up with the starter teeth? Anyway, I was just wondering, I have never done anything like this before. Thanks again for your help.

Matt
Mat regaurdless of the converter size the ring gear is always the same diamiter.
Smaller converters have spacers and such but the outside diamiter remains the .
One size fits all kind of thing