Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-17-2002, 10:20 PM
Inactive User

Default transmission noise

ive written before about this but it was a while ago and i cant fint the old post, i have a diplomat w/ a 2bbl 318 that orignally had a 7 1/4 inch rear on it. the rear went and i replaced it w/ an 8 1/4. thats the background..my question is, the transmission which is the a-904, made a horrible screeching noise after the rear end went, not from neutral or park, but when we towed it, i drove w/ my father in the truck and my brother sat in the car, it was a few blocks away so we just towed it with our ram, but my brother had the car in neutral and it was on for the power steering, but he bumped the gear selector in drive and the driveshaft started spinning and then he went right to park and it made a horrible screeching noise, is that the transmission gone as well or is that just that there was nothing connected to the tranny to stop it from spinning anymore, any ideas? i know this may be kinda confusing
Old 10-17-2002, 11:41 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

I'm sorry, I'm not clear on this. The rear (8 1/4) went when? Then while it was in tow, the gear selector was bumped into gear?
I have before done something similar. While haveing to much fun in the car, the same thing happened. Gear shifter into park @ 60 mph. Well, it shut the car down, but showed no adverse effects.
The second time, yes second time, the car didn't shut off, but again, no adverse effects. Check yoour pan anyway.
1 time I have seen first hand, (NO not me) what can happen. While drag raceing, (I said not me I swear!) A misshift happened and the driver slammed the tranny into reverse. Well, the axle snapped at the tire, which was never seen again, and the Nova sat on the floor and spun around so fast it looked like a ground bloom flower fire work going off.
No one even had gotten a scratch. Truly amazing.
Old 10-18-2002, 04:12 PM

Whenever a Torqueflight is moved forward without the engine running there will be a squeeling noise from the overrunning clutch in the rear of the case, this is normal.
Placing the selector in Park while the driveshaft is turning will cause a sound more like a buzz as the parking pawl tries to engage the spinning teeth on the governor support. Likely, no damage was done.
Place the selector in Park and see if park engages when the car is rolled a few inches.