Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-20-2002, 03:05 AM

Default Push Rod/Lifter mix and match question.....

Reassembling my 383 (after trying to get it right) now that I have the new heads(Thanks to whoever recommened Aerorhead in a previous thread). I sent most of the top end (Intake,manifold covers, push rods) to the hot tank just to get them cleaned up while I have the chance. Its obvious on the tear down this motor got EXTREMELY hot in a past life and was just waiting to break. Two problems have surfaced. Two of the lifters from the motor are hosed (can't pump em up). Based on a previous thread, replacing them isn't an issue and I already have the new ones even though my motor guy has an issue replacing lifters and cams seperatly. However after coming back from the hot tank, three push rods are hosed. They are rubbed raw where valve guides failed. Parts guy only has 8 replacements and can't get 16 new ones for a week or so. He and the machine shop guy he has say there is no issue running my 13 original push rods with 3 new ones even though the new ones look different than the old ones. New ones have a ball on each end versus the ends just rounded off the old ones. They are the same height and on a homemade scale appear to weigh the same, just look different. Do I wait the week or do I put it all together with three new rods? If I put the three new rods in do I do a cylinder and a half with the new rods or do I scatter the new ones through the block to spread out any differences they may cause?

I'm personally leaning towards converting the car to a boat anchor at this point but..........

I've also been told by my machine shop guy that if I use the three new rods and it proves to cause a problem, he'll personally do my WHOLE motor over free of charge so who knows.....
Old 10-20-2002, 09:59 AM
Banned

The motor won't know the brand of pushrods you use,,,,,do it.

'my motor guy has an issue replacing lifters and cams seperatly"

...include me in that statement, your looking for trouble and your gonna find it.
Old 10-20-2002, 10:51 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Replace the lifters dispite what your engine builder says. If he was any count at all no problems should have come up. He's just wanting you to spend more money at his place so he can buy more chevy parts and talk it up with his Ford buddies. LOL
Old 10-20-2002, 12:08 PM

Cuda, I respect your opinion however your saying that because 3 lifters went bad AND the cam seems to be in good shape I should replace the cam anyway?

(Wait, since the heads are off ANYWAY AND I need a new cam I might as well go bigger in the cam department, then I might as well port the heads for the new cam, Wait, then I need to get a new manifold, Wait, I also need a bigger carb,Oh and headers,and wait, the bottom end will need to be beefed up to handle it, and wait, a new rear for the horsepower and wait, tires to grab, and wait whe need a rollcage and wait then we'll need a....... I've been here before and simple things like replacing cams becomes a "process"...............)
Old 10-20-2002, 12:59 PM
Inactive User

Do not be afraid to put new lifters in. Just last year when I was freshening my engine we found several lifters starting to flake or pit. Cam was fine. New lifters and a year of racing later all is fine.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:24 PM
Inactive User

Default Pushrods/Lifters

Another thing you might want to check is to make sure the ball end of the pushrod is the same radius as the seat in the lifter. I bought some radius gauges at a swap meet a while back, so I decided to check the lifters and pushrods that were in a 440 I bought. The solid lifter has a 5/16" diameter seat and the Crane pushrods have a 3/8" diameter ball. The pushrods were only contacting near the top of the seat. I can see a wear pattern (ring) on the pushrod.