Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-22-2002, 02:13 PM
Inactive User

Help turn signal problem

I am in need of some help.On my 1965 Dodge Dart GT, I am experiencing a problem with my driverside front turn signal. I have checked with a multimeter and I have 12volts there and I investigated the turn signal switch and I have 12volts at all terminals, the passenger side works fine. The problem is that on the driverside front the bulb is dim and the driverside rear works fine, but I cannot get it to flash. I have power every where I am supose to, I have changed the bulb three time and no bulb seems to work. I removed the light fixture and hooked it up direct to the battery and the bulb lights up fine. I checked the connector and have 12 volts , cannot find a ground fault anywhere. The only solution that I can come up with is the turn signal mechism is bad? PETER A STONE email mudboy@iglou.com
Old 10-22-2002, 03:42 PM

The turn signal flasher needs a load in order to work properly. Even though there is measured voltage at the bulb contact point, there might be insufficient current flow to produce a load for the flasher.
I would suspect a faulty ground at the light fixture. Try running a wire directly from the fixture to the battery negative terminal.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:01 PM
Inactive User

I agree with John that most likely the problem is a bad ground.
I am posting this reply just to add a tip:
Voltmeters typically have a very high input impedance so they don't add a load to the circuit while taking measurements.
This can be very miss-leading if you have a bad wire, bad ground,
or ??? With no, or little, current flow you may see the correct voltage but once you apply a load, the voltage drops and the light does not work. Anyway to keep this from becomming lenghty either get a special meter that can load the circuit or go to your
local electronics store or Radio Shack and pickup a resistor. The resistor you want should be no less than about 12 ohms and no higher than about 25 ohms. Also you want at least a 10 watt resistor, but note that a 10 watt will burn up if left connected for any period of time. Take your measurement then remove the leads. The resistor you will connect across the meter leads.
Also caution the resistor will get hot even short term.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:11 PM
Inactive User

Default I second that ground check vote

Since you are using a mulitmeter to measure the 12V at the bulb socket, switch over to the resistance scale and measure between the inside of the bulb socket to the neg. battery cable. Should see very little resistance, like less than 1 ohm. Also, look into the socket where the little bulb tabs lock into place... Some corrosion may be present.

With your turn sig ON, try to just rotate the bulb a little, not quite enough to remove it, but just enough to see that if the bulb is in a slightly different position that it brightens up/flashes.

John's idea to run a wire from the battery directly to the socket housing is a great idea. Just remember to scrape the outside of the socket down to some bright metal before touching the ground test wire. If this brightens your day, read on!

I had a 64 dodge with a similar problem. It turned out to be the socket mount to the signal housing had corrosion issues, preventing a good ground. (Dim Bulb). I took the housing off the car, and CAREFULLY held the housing in a vice and slightly rotated the socket while spraying first some WD-40 and finishing up with contact cleaner, continue rocking/twisting the socket back and forth while spraying. The socket is crimped into place, so be carefull. If you have the same problem, it is already weak!
Old 10-22-2002, 05:40 PM
Inactive User

the dim light sure sounds like a grounding problem. I have had this with headlights in the past and once grounded correctly, theyt work fine.

as far as not flashing.......don't know. I suspect if you solve your grounding problems, the flashing will work too
Old 10-23-2002, 12:58 PM
Inactive User

problem solved

I want to thank everyboby for the tips. I removed the driverside light fixture and gently rotated the socket in the housing and found I had no more resistance problems and now all the lights work properly. Thanks again for helping me make my MOPAR safe.
PETER A STONE email mudboy@iglou.com