Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-09-1999, 06:08 AM
Fast1

I recently rebuilt my 73' 440. The block was bored 30 over with 9 :1flat top pistons.
Ialso am running a mild street cam.I have the 346 open chamber heads that were re done with the stock valves. The problem is this thing seems like it has no torque and can't get out of it's own way ! I have the timing set to 10btc. If I go any further it pings real bad . Is my problem with the heads or am I doing something else wrong ? It sits in a 70' Roadrunner with a 4spd trans and 3.23 gears. Please Help !!!

Old 03-09-1999, 07:21 AM
Joe Gilmore

Start at the top and go down
make sure the carb is'nt leaning out and is working correctly.
chek the distributor, check the curve make sure it works.
possibly cam timing is off, just because the marks are pointed at each other means they are right.
make sure you dont have any vacum leakes also.
Form there I'm not to sure without seeing the car.
Old 03-10-1999, 07:01 PM
Brian Mills

O.K. Fast1, if you use a stock vibration or harmonic balancer on the front of your engine, and if it is the original one, the rubber may be slightly deteriorated. You may not be able to see this with your eye, how ever, the outer steel ring can slip, moving the location of your timing mark in relation to top dead center of your #1 piston and causing your timing to read incorrectly since the mark you shine your timing light on is not where it is supposed to be. When you say it pings when moved slightly from 10 before, I suspect this first. Put #1 piston at top dead center, and the mark on the balancer should line right up with the mark on the timing chain cover. If not, you need a new balancer installed, then re-time your engine. Try this first, it doesn't cost anything to check, then look elsewhere if you have to.
Old 03-11-1999, 06:07 AM
Fast1

Joe and Brain, Thanks for the info. I'll have some time tis weekend to look into the possibilities you've recommended. I'll keep you posted , Thanks Fast1
Old 03-18-1999, 03:52 AM
guy incognito

set your total timing at 34 adv with your vac. adv. plugged off and the hose off. After you have done this take the holley off and get an edelbrock. I'm right aren't I? It is a holley.
Old 03-22-1999, 01:38 AM
PurpleSatellite

Fast, All of the previously advice soundg good, with one notable exception. Guy Incog., there is absolutely nothing wrong with Holley carbs, I have one on my car and it runs 10.02 @ 132mph. Of all the days I've spent at the track, I don't remember any fast cars that were equipped with Edelbrock carbs. Sorry Guy, facts are facts.
Old 03-22-1999, 01:32 PM
Bryant Fields

Yeah,What he said!