Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-23-2002, 12:00 AM
Inactive User

Default paging Mr. cuda66273

I just joined this site about a week ago, and I think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have read your technical posts, and it seems that you are, in fact, the man. You have already begun to sway my opinions on some products such as the carburetion I am using, and the valvetrain products that I am such a big fan of. I don't know if the other readers care anything about this, but I am interested in what it takes to make a 318 Barracuda run in the low 12s. Do you have a web page or something that has a rundown of what you have in this thing? Also, why the 318? Class rules? I would love to know!

Quint Dulworth, deadhorse66
Old 10-23-2002, 11:50 AM
Banned

Welcome to Moparchat!!!

Thank you for your kind comments...my intentions here are to post facts and truths obtained by careful mathematical equations and tried and true testing.

Why a 318?

Well it's a long story but to make it short...Mrs. Cuda.....She grew up 100 yards from a dirt track and watched Sprint Cars crash and burn and ambulances haul the twisted and burned drivers to the emergency room almost nightly. When we met I had retired from a fairly successful Sprint Car career and had hung up my boxing gloves.

When I convinced her that the original 273 (hence cuda66273) in the Cuda needed to go as I just couldn't be happy going that slow she was willing to go along with the project but insisted that we go no faster than 100-110 MPH. Of course this would have been easy by simply dropping an almost stock 440 in the car. I'm just not that type of guy.... I need to have MAX performance and tweak every possible HP and inch of tork out of everything.

I new a 340 would get me to low 11's and make home life miserable....so I went with a 318. Besides would anyone be impressed with a 12 second 440? ...No..... but a 318 running 12's?

Quote:
"I am interested in what it takes to make a 318 Barracuda run in the low 12s"

.....you and many others, it's magical hocus pocus....LOL

I get this question all the time "Why a early A body Cuda".....Because nobody else has got one, and "Why a 318?" ….Because I can. It's the difference between “those who know” and the "Chrome is quicker, bigger is better crowd"

How did we do it?
A year of calculations, consulting with the best in the business, validating professional opinions, careful selection of the right parts, special attention to the little details, the ones that get 3-10 HP …. taking the ¼ mile of road less traveled.

During all this research I was able to separate the ones who know and ones who think they know. Many well known so called Mopar experts told me that it couldn’t be done, including Mopar Muscle Magazine who BTW have not replied to my letter to the editor regarding their article from Dec 2001 proclaiming the fastest iron headed 318 they could find was a 66 Cuda running 12.46.

The members here that have seen the Old Fish can tell you it's not pretty, it’s a pure racecar. No money wasted on fancy trim and chrome, it’s a perfect example of what the average back yard wrench can accomplish on a limited budget in his home garage.

With the opening of our new machine shop and Mopar Performance Center we will be offering a 400+ HP 318 as part of our SB "Crate" motor program which will put a 32-3600 pound well prepared car into the 12's easily.

We will be putting up a web site, the address is toomuchracing.com and it should be up within 30 days. It will cover not only what engine to use but how to prepare the car and how to do it yourself.

We will be doing more work to the 318 and get it into the 11's which will enable us to run Super Pro at Division races. We will be putting the motor on the dyno as is and again after the new IRON Heads are installed and we'll post the results, we're searching for another 75 HP...I know where it's hiding we just need to dig it out.

We (Too Much racing)will also be campaigning a 64 Cuda, 340, stack injected, 4 speed car that runs in the 9's. A 87 Dodge pick-up, 360, street driver that runs low 10's and a AA/Gas coupe that runs in the 7's.....pictures coming s
Old 10-24-2002, 07:40 PM
Inactive User

Interesting...can't wait to hear more about Too Much!
Old 10-24-2002, 10:01 PM
Banned

Something is fishy around here ....Hope you break into the 11s at Mission, Don!...Good luck in your new endeavor...Now if only I could change my liver, like my intake
Old 10-25-2002, 08:50 AM
Banned

I'll tell you all a little secret here about the 318...the heads on that thing are the original 273 heads that came on the car in 1966. This car was a 4 barral option but not a Formula S so it doesn't even have the "S", higher flowing heads.

I ported these things in my carport without the aid of any type of flow bench nor have they ever been flowed so I have no idea of what they flow.

The intake runners have been hogged out to a massive 139cc from the stock 127 measurement. We did squeeze a set of 11/32 stem 1.94/160 valves in them but as far as performance heads go these are definately on the very bottom of the scale.

The new heads will give me about 200 cc intake runner volume with the same size valves to maintain the velocity, that combined with the new Mighty Demon, a bigger fuel pump and a tweak on the convertor we should be the first ever IRON headed undruged 318 in the 11's.

I look forward to putting my first BB anything with full electronics and twice the Cubes on the trailer in front of 20,000 people...heheheheeee

I'll keep you posted as we go through the Dyno testing in January, before and after sheets should be "Velly intelesting".