Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-23-2002, 04:15 PM

rolleyes2 rev man valve body & passing gear linkage question

sa a 727 or 904 with reverse man valve body i know you have to man shift it does it mean the valve body is reversed ? how to you change it to man valve body? do you have to by special linkage? on muscle cars they dont have passing grear rods that go to the carb why arnt they there how does it work without it why do they take it off? i kindof got a little idea about these things but i'm still learning if the passing gear rod is gone how does it work on muscle cars ?is the car man valve body if it doesnt have the passing gear rod? 727 and 904 say its in a car or truck and you want the trans in a muscle and the linkage works off the steering colum what if you wanted a b&M shifter on the floor will this work? does it work with cables or linkage?
Old 10-23-2002, 04:57 PM
Inactive User

You have two major mods here.

1.) manual valve body - does not use the governor or throttle rod from the carb and will only shift manually (simplified answer, there's more going on there). Super hard shifts and you control your shift RPM.

2) Reverse shift pattern - stock pattern is PRN321 Reverse is PRN123. This keeps you from hitting neutral or even worse reverse while upshifting.

P.S. if you don't use the throttle rod on a torqueflite without a manual valve body, start looking for another trans cause that one will be mush in a short while. Without the rod, you will have low pressure and smoked clutches and steels.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:39 PM

Thumbs up thanks i got it now :)

i get the idea now what if you have the b&N rachet shifter that doesnt let you go into rev or nutral so do you not need man valve body?
or is it better to have manual valve body with that shifter
Old 10-23-2002, 10:17 PM
Inactive User

You can run a manual valve body in forward or reverse pattern. It matters not. If you have a good ratchet shifter forward would be fine. The point of the manual valve body is to have very direct hard shifts controlled by the driver, not the transmission. The shifter linkage is the same for a manual valve body, it just does not use the kickdown linkage from the carb. Clear as mud, right?
Old 10-24-2002, 02:53 AM
Inactive User

Alota guys use the "Firmer Shift Kits"from Trans Go, B&M and others.These use stock valve body and you still have passing gear, stock shift pattern, etc. I had a transgo kit Hurst ratchet shifter and it worked good. I now have a JW rev man and Cheetah SCS, sorta fool proof..

If you have headers you may want to get a shifter that has the cable routed from back.(like the Cheetah) But it is possible to use the front routed ones if(very)careful to keep away fom a header tube.
Old 10-24-2002, 02:53 PM
Inactive User

Your shifter has to be able to be used on reverse pattern, if its a rachet , say like a b&m star shifter, its only for forward pattern, it wont rachet in reverse pattern, also even trying to shift it not in rachet mode will be risky, it goes D21 or 321 in forward pattern and 12D or 123 for reverse pattern.. park and reverse and neutral stay in the same places , so the plates in a forward pattern shifter will be really funky with the trigger setup some have... pro stick lets you change the gate plates for either setup... edited part> unless you get the valve body that does not change the 123 gear select position.....

coolcarz