Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-24-2002, 04:59 PM
Inactive User

Question Six Pack Question

Does anyone know if they make progressive linkage for the six pack set up and if so who???? Coyotedst@aol.com
Old 10-24-2002, 05:20 PM

The stock vacuum set up works pretty well. Are you having problems?

I don't know anyone that makes a mechanical progressive linkeage. Sorry.

Greg
Old 10-24-2002, 05:50 PM
Inactive User

progressive? that engine better be able to suck alot of gas at one time!! iv seen it made but you would have to look in one of the mopar mags. i think a company in new mexico makes it
Old 10-24-2002, 10:36 PM
Inactive User

Having tuned up, screwed up, and fixed my share of six pack set ups; I’d consider it several times before switching the set up over to progressive linkage. I agree, the stock set up does open up the outboard carbs rather slow. However, a switch to progressive linkage almost guarantees “bog city”. Though the traditional way of getting vacuum secondaries (in this case your outboard carbs) to open quicker is to install a lighter spring on the vacuum diaphragm(s); the six pack set up responds much better to reducing the orifice size of the kill bleeds. If the kill bleeds are small in diameter the outboard carbs open at a lower rpm. If they are big, they open later.

A few months ago, someone posted a link to a real good article, “Installation and Tuning of the Six Pak Induction System” which talks a lot about this. Have not been able to find it, but if I can I’ll po
Old 10-25-2002, 12:03 AM

SIX PAK Carb Tips and Tricks. Just download (right click, save picture as..) and open each picture on your computer. Pretty good tech info.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:55 AM
Inactive User

Thanks ehostler! I knew you could find it.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:32 AM
Inactive User

Default six pack

what problems are you experiencing?
Old 10-26-2002, 08:04 PM
Inactive User

Default six pack$?

Can anyone tell me what an original six pack goes for these days?I have one and I`m not using it.I would probubly part with it if someone needed it for a resto or something.I have intake,linkage and carbs.I even have access to original fram breather elements. If any one needs a set up like this let me know.
performance.machine.tool@sympatico.ca
Old 10-26-2002, 08:20 PM
Inactive User

six packs to go, inc fax#770-483-6078
i asked for information from this guy and he claims that you send him your entire six pack setup and he converts the whole setup to progressive linkgage with accelerator pumps on all 3 carbs to prevent bogging. it costs aroun $700 i think? he also claims to have a patent pending on his triple pumper.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:48 PM
Inactive User

don't waste your money on progressive linkage. i have zero bog and zero hesitation at any rpm range. when set right they are awesome. if your short block is not in great condition [ at least 140 psi on ALL cylinders] and pumping like it is suppose to then you will experience problems with air flow.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:22 PM
Inactive User

Agree 100%. No bog, no hesitation, and they are awesome when set up right.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:41 PM

I bought an original 70 6 BBl carbs, and intake for 700 bucks. I think that is about the going price, seemed fair to me anyway. I sent the carbs to Six Packs to Go in Atlanta and had them cleaned and refurbished and switched to progressive for my 4 speed RR. Around 700 more bucks including shipping. Lets just say the new set up is bad to the bone! I love the progressive compared to vacuum. There is absolutley no other sound as sweet when the outboards open up.

Bill
Old 12-21-2002, 01:08 AM
Inactive User

If the Co sixpackgut gave is in GA, that's the one I've heard of. They convert the end carbs with an accelerator pump so you can launch it. Holley used to offer special end carbs with a pump but they are long ago discontinued and seldom seen. If you have a motor and especially a convertor to handle 3 at once, they're awsome.

Cecil
Old 12-22-2002, 10:11 AM
Inactive User

since i wrote that message about six packs to go, i have been very curious if anyone had went to him. i believe in theory how the progressive linkage and 3 acc pumps would work great. but i was a little nerveous about sending my carbs to a guy that didnt have a phone #. so, i have since spent maybe around $100 and a few days rebuilding my carbs. that includes buyin new vac pod diaphrams and holley power valve saver and spring kit along with the rebuild kits. i found out that 2 kits could rebuild all 3 carbs. let me just say that the car is like night and day from before. the car runs so much better, idles better and whenever i want it, i mash the peddle and the outboards open without a bog or backfire, tires blazin thru 1st,2nd, and a little 3rd. thats with a pinion snubber, leafs unclamped and long shocks. bf drag radails here i come.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:38 PM
Inactive User

I finally took my Sixpack Setup off my 440 because it wouldnt idle down! it would idle well over 1200 rpm in park. If you adjusted the A/F screws in or out it wouldnt make a difference and the Fuel bowl level was set to the bottom of the sight hole. If you pulled forward on the throttle linkage to close it. It would idle down but the idle screw on the linkage was already backed all the way out!? and i adjusted it with the outboards both disconnected! so i pulled it off and stuck a Edelbrock TorkerII on it and a 750 Edelbrock! runs great although id rather have the Six-pack setup on it!
Old 12-22-2002, 10:32 PM
Inactive User

pink 71,all the linkage on the six is adjustable.the rods to the outboards screw to shoten or lenthen. you need to adjust these rods somtimes to uncover idle circuit slots in the outboards. the outboard carbs also have idle mix screws that might be covered by tin in the front of each carb. to adjust air/fuel on a six pack properly can be rewarding but very time consumeing. your problem though sounds like the cable adjustment from your pedal. also could be week carb springs. i know my setup has at least 2 maybe 3. i cursed my sixpack when i bought the car and thought about doin the same thing as you but i downloaded the page provided be EHOSTLER 11 posts ago and did my homework.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:58 PM

I have 340 6pk setup that I got about 20 years ago. It has the acc pumps on all 3 carbs and an ajustable mechanical linkage. worked great on the 360 in a 69 dart I had. sold the car years ago still have the Intake and carbs.If anyone is looking will sell as I don't have a car to use it on and they won't let me use it on my dirt track car--shucks.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:26 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by dirttrackracer
I have 340 6pk setup that I got about 20 years ago. It has the acc pumps on all 3 carbs and an ajustable mechanical linkage. worked great on the 360 in a 69 dart I had. sold the car years ago still have the Intake and carbs.If anyone is looking will sell as I don't have a car to use it on and they won't let me use it on my dirt track car--shucks.
how much? i would LOVE to have a 6pk under my 6pk hood scoop!!

it WOULD be a great x-mas present....
Old 12-24-2002, 02:48 PM

Default 340 6pk

Just to give you the heads up. The intake & carbs have been sitting in my shed for the last 10-12 years. So everything needs a good cleaning and the carbs should be rebuilt. The last time I used it the gaskets were dried out and leaked untill the gas swelled them back up. If your really intrested I could blast the intake to make it look like new but I would leave the carb rebuilds up to you. It also has a fuel log and pressure guage that gos with. $800.00 I believe is reasonable. Thanks Dan
Old 12-24-2002, 03:26 PM
Inactive User

Well i know my throttle cable was long enough because i checked that and i ran it with it not attached and like i said i adjusted the outboards so they are closed in the idle position so?
Old 12-24-2002, 05:15 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: 340 6pk

Quote:
Originally posted by dirttrackracer
$800.00 I believe is reasonable. Thanks Dan
hell of a setup... rebuilding the carbs wouldn't be a prob, and i would probably get new gaskets, but thats a bit out of my price range... thanx anyway!

merry christmas!
Old 09-16-2003, 09:33 PM

Default back from the dead thread

Quote:
Originally posted by ehostler
SIX PAK Carb Tips and Tricks. Just download (right click, save picture as..) and open each picture on your computer. Pretty good tech info.
Can someone tell me how to find this? I'm getting a six pack and want to learn all I can.

Unfortunately I learned to late how difficult these are. Had I known, I probably would not have bought it.

Thanks,

Don
Old 09-17-2003, 09:56 PM
Inactive User

Don,

This link (now dead) was on an article published in the Jan '92 copy of Chrysler Power Magazine (also dead). "Installation and Tuning of the Six Pak Induction System", by Dr. Jerry Binder. I have a photo copy of it (pictures are of poor quality) which I will try and scan at work and get it into some form to send to you.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:04 PM

Maybe a kind person on this forum saved it and can email it to me? I really could use all the help I can find. I want to do this six pack right.

Thanks,

don.parker@insightbb.com
Old 09-18-2003, 07:04 AM
Inactive User

i have it too. if luther cant get it for you i could make copies and send thru mail.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:38 PM
Inactive User

Default 6-pack

don, use the search engine for 6-barrell or 6-packs. great info there.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:49 AM
Inactive User

DonP,

Try this link: http://www.mopar2.us/6barreltips.html (may have to cut/paste to your browser). In addition to tuning tips on this website, there are also links to Dr. Binder's tuning tips you're looking for. Good luck, regards.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:13 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther
Don,

This link (now dead) was on an article published in the Jan '92 copy of Chrysler Power Magazine (also dead). "Installation and Tuning of the Six Pak Induction System", by Dr. Jerry Binder. I have a photo copy of it (pictures are of poor quality) which I will try and scan at work and get it into some form to send to you.

Here's the link:

http://freiss.tripod.com/six_pak_carb_Tuning.htm
Old 12-27-2004, 06:10 PM
Inactive User

Has anybody used the six pack super stock manifold? I'm thinking of getting one for the 493" stroker I'm building this winter.