Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-24-2002, 07:18 PM
Inactive User

Default performer intake question

I left my truck at work to adjust my choke, which I thought was the problem for poor cold starts. The mechanic told me I have a port coming from my intake manifold that runs beneath the throttle plate and keeps air from freezing when it's cold. This port is plugged somehow. I could clean it, but I was thinking of putting a performer intake on very soon. I was wondering if anyone knew if this port exists in the performer intake, and if not, any quality intakes that do have it. I am also planning to install a new 4 barrel carb too, and thought possibly there is a carb that needs no warming. Thanks
Old 10-24-2002, 07:26 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
and thought possibly there is a carb that needs no warming.
Yea, that there called fuel injection.
Sorry, not sure about that jet thing. There is a EGR jet on the floor of the intake. But I don't think it's to keep things from frezzeing up. It's there for emmisions. You don't need it.
What you need for a good running carb is for the carb to be set and jetted right. Give it a tube from the exhaust manifold or header to the air cleaner for warm air during the cold start ups.
Theres also the valve in the exhaust pipe, usally on the passenger side, that stops the exhaust from exiting and forces it back across the intakes bottom to help in warming up.
This valve isn't needed, but really helps in warming up the engine faster.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:11 PM

He's talking about the crossover in the intake. Sort of the same thing that rumblefish mentioned in the last part of his post.

In a way this is still sort of choke related because if it's not getting heat at the spring to open it up it's not working right. The performer should have this, also. If you take the intake off to clean this passage, or you install a new one it should stay clear for a while, it just clogs up with carbon from the exhaust overtime.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:14 AM
Inactive User

Yes, the Performer intake has the heat crossover to warm up the manifold.

A port at the bottom of the intake to keep things warm would not be an exhaust crossover, that can only be a hole for EGR.

On older cars, that haven't been worked on in many years, there can be a lot of carbon buildup, and taking things apart, cleaning them up and putting them back together can make a huge difference. That could give you poor cold starts, if there is too much carbon buildup.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:03 PM
Banned

Default Hey Roger

Hey Roger...I have the perfect test Mule for a performer intake...see post "It's Awesome"....

You do have my address right?....

I'll even install the new 1406 carb teamed up with one of our trick distributors on it and write nice stuff about you Guy's like the Magazines do...after all I have a subscription list of over 20,000.....

Can't wait for my Racer Brown Cam to arrive.....