Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-30-1999, 06:46 AM

Question

I have a 2.5 turbo motor out of a 89 Lebaron that I have torn down to the bare block. Any ideas on what I should put in the bottom end?
I have an intercooler from a conquest to convert it to a turbo II and would like a recomendation for a turbo as well. Would like to get in to the 200 to 250 horsepower zone. BTW this motor will be installed in a 84 Dodge Rampage with all the goody's from an 87 Shelby Charger! (Shelby motor is toast!)
Thanks for any help in advance.
94Duster
Old 12-01-1999, 06:33 AM
Inactive User

I ALSO HAVE A 89 LEBARON CONV. GTC TURBO II,FACTORY 4WHELL DISC,16" TIRES AND WHEELS,FAST RATIO RACK,MINE IS A 2.2L I CURRENTLY RUN 14.78 ETS ON A BASICALLY STOCK MOTOR.THAT EQUATES TO 211HP.ALL INTERNALS ARE STOCK.YOUR 2.5L TURBO I IS RATED AT 150HP@ 4800 AND 180 FT. LBS. OF TORQUE AT 2000.IT CAN MAKE OVER THE 200HP MARK BUT YOUR LIMITING FACTORS ARE, LONG STROKE,LOW NICKEL CONTENT BLOCK, CAST CRANK AND BALANCE SHAFTS.YOU WOULD BE MUCH BETTER OFF WITH A 2.2L TURBO II,ITS RATED AT 174HP@4800 AND 200 FT LBS AT 3200.IT HAS PREMIUM FORGED CRANK AND RODS,HIGH NICKEL CONTENT BLOCK,SHORT STROKE,NO BALANCE SHAFTS,SIAMESED CYLINDER BORES,THE RODS HAVE FULL FLOATING PINS,SO YOU CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCE FROM TURBO I TO II.GET A TURBO II IF YOU CAN.IF NOT AND YOU WANT TO USE WHAT YOU HAVE IT CAN BE DONE, 200HP IS YOUR LIMIT THOUGH,USE YOUR BLOCK BUT GET A 86 OR LATER CRANK,USE YOUR RODS, THROW AWAY THE BALANCE SHAFTS(YEAH!!)USE MP PISTONS,REBUILD EVERYTHING,(ALWAYS REPLACE MAIN,ROD AND HEAD BOLTS,ALWAYS!!!)BACKCUT VALVES,PORT MATCH HEAD AND INTAKE,USE 3.3 OR 3,5 THROTTLE BODY(DIRECT BOLT ON)K N CONE STYLE AIR FILTER,INTERCOOLER(LEBARON ONE OUTFLOWS CONQUEST)GARRET T-04 TURBOCHARGER ($472 AT TURBO CITY),NO CATALYTIC OR HIGH FLOW TYPE, EXTREMELY FREE FLOW MUFFLER,2 1/4" EXH.,P4529314 CAM,TURBO I INJECTORS, HOPEFULLY YOU HAVE A DONOR CAR IF NOT ID FIND ONE IT WILL SAVE YOU THOUSANDS,MAYBE SOMEONE OUT THERE HAS ONE AND CAN LET HIM KNOW.GO BUY MPS 2.2/2.5 ENGINE BOOK,P5249585($20) IF YOU REALLY WANT TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN,I THINK IT SOUNDS LOKE A GREAT COMBO.WHEN YOU GET CLOSE E-MAIL ME I TELL YOU HOW TO GET MORE BOOST FOR PRACTICALLY NOTHING AND HOW TO BE SURE YOUR NOT EXCEEDING FUEL SYSTEM CAPABILITY(I RUN 15.5 LBS OF BOOST AND HAVE FOR 2 YRS, RELIABLY)...PRO...
Old 12-02-1999, 06:17 AM

Thanks for the reply PRO, certaily alot to think about. BTW I aleady have the MP book you are refering to, lots of good info in that one. The balance shafts are going, too.
The main reason I am going with the 2.5 motor is that I bought the lebaron for body parts to fix my wifes lebaron, so I stripped it and junked the body and kept the drive train (including the front and rear disk brakes.) Also, its going in a truck that will be more of a daily driver. I probably won't race it. (Depends on how the wife see's it HaHa) One thing I need to get ahold of is a 5-speed trans., preferably a 555, to mate up to this thing. I hate Automatics. the one out of the shelby probably wouldn't take the torque from the 2.5 without self destructing.
Thanks again, and if you think of anything else, keep me posted
94Duster
Old 12-03-1999, 09:26 AM
Inactive User

Hey Duster you really got me thinking,find a wrecked Lebaron Turbo and transplant it into a rampage!!GREAT IDEA as the rampage weighs 300 lbs less!! and I can use it for work!I maintain a fleet of propane delivery trucks(AMERIGAS)and am mobile so i travel alot,I have a 78 3/4T dodge adventurer w/440 auto 4wd ,4.10s,cruise,tilt air which gats around 10 mpg.I just recently bought a 80 toyota(I repent) so I can get some mpg.So Im selling the yoter asap.I know an older guy that has a rampage,its in perfact condition,white w/ blk. stripes around 88k.So I went to a friends today to install a turn signal switch in his Warlock and 2 houses away sits a wrecked Lebaron!!TURBO GTC!! no one was home but Ill check back tommorrow Ill let you know how it goes (get an e-mail address!!)...PRO..
Old 12-07-1999, 04:20 AM
Drag Racer

Hi
I already have an 11.79 Rampage 2.2 Turbo. I'm installing a 2.5 turbo engine this winter. Your 89 2.5 turbo shares the same Block as a TII 2.2 along with the same rods and full floating pins. There are alot of guys out there running this long stroke engine. Also all the big pro Mod motors are ALL long stroke engines. So go with what you have but you may want to install an 88 or newer intake and a TII style Garret turbo
Old 12-10-1999, 01:30 AM

Question

Deane: I need to replace the pistons in the 2.5, what do you recommend? My rods and crank are ok so I will be using them. Also, what do you recommend for an oil pump?
Thanks
94Duster
Old 12-10-1999, 03:40 AM
Drag Racer

You can get oversized pistons factory replacements from Malhe they have a US office or you could buy JE forged pistons I think Forward Motion sells them