Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-29-2002, 04:35 PM
Inactive User

Default Cam recomendations for the "other" mighty 318...

Need some ideas on were to start looking for a new camshaft for my 318. The damn thing ran a 12.87@105 with a 1.67 60 foot, and has been gradually slowing down ever since. After identifying a converter problem, and reclaiming about 4 tenths back from my ET, I'm still not running like it used to. Since the old camshaft was one I picked up used (guy went from bracket racing to DT/SA).

Here's the motor specs:
1976 318
40 over 12.5:1 Aries pistons
O-ringed block
J heads (unported, untouched)
Edlebrock Victor 340 intake
Holley 750, fed by return style Mallory pump and regulator
Generic (small tube) Heddman headers to 2.5 dumps.
Chrysler chrome box ignition
Taylor 8 MM wires
Non adjustable rocker gear
Springs setup for a .500 lift cam

Trans:
TCI SUper STreet fighter (3700 stall)
Shift kit

Rear
3.91 Gear

When I switch the cam out, I will be installing my set of adjustable 273 rocker gear with the TA pushrods and adjuster locks. I also probably will be switching over to a 4.30 gear next spring, as well as an MSD being in the plans.

The cam I am replacing is a 517/292 HYD cam. I would like to continue to run a HYD cam and want to know what grinds and the ET's you guys are getting out of your small blocks.

The most lift that my combo can safely take is approximately a .530, since the clay test was pretty close (about an 1/8 of an inch sans gaskets).

This is a drag car with a 10 point cage that drives only to local car shows, not even remotely a daily driver. It weighs about 3200 pounds sans a lard a$$ driver.

The racer brown cams sound good, but does anyone have cam specs on these? I like websites that publish full specs of thier cams, and they have just about nothing on the web as far as thier offerings.

Thanks!!
Dartman
Old 10-29-2002, 04:52 PM
Inactive User

I would yank those heads and grind on them! pocket port if nothing else.
Why a hydo cam if your gonna put adjustable rocker gear on it?
I would look for a good solid lift. call the racer brown guys. I dont personally have any experience with them yet. but when I switch to a solid cam thats where I am going
5th
Old 10-29-2002, 05:18 PM
Banned

Give Jim a call and tell him your out to kick my a$$, he'll go over all the numbers and pick the right grind for you.

Port the heads but don't let anyone talk you into using 2.02 valves.

Tell him he's gonna have to get out the secret formula book as I have a new set of heads waiting on the core shelf to run through the shop....I see 11.80's may be in the future for THE Mighty 318

Demon Carbs go on Sale for Xmas in 2 weeks....

Santa's new toll free number...TOO-TOO-QUIK... should be turned on by midnight tomorrow.

Are you on our mailing list yet?

Flyer will be Emailed out in about 2 weeks
Old 10-29-2002, 05:50 PM
Inactive User

Does Racer Brown have an email address? I work 9 to 5 and don't like to to call long distance on the company dime, but don;t mind sneaking in a little email now and then.

Cuda: What's the scoop on your race car lettering biz? I was considering having some "Petersen Racing" decals to give to my Dad and brother for Christmas (sorry - Demon's won't fit in thier stockings). I would like a nice blue to white, black outline, and a gray shadow. I've seen some local guys doing the gradiants and shadows, and I assume it's just multiple levels of die cut decals. can you do it, and how much for about 3 to 10?

Thanks!!
Old 10-29-2002, 06:49 PM
Banned

Call Jim when you get home he's usually around the shop until about 8-9 EST...be sure and tell him I sent you and you came from this board...won't save you a dime but he will take the extra time to help you along with your project.

Graphics: thats done in Corel Draw and then printed on a very special machine...yes, we can do that, all we need is a rough sketch of the general layout and we'll put the magic to it, send you a scanned image for approval, then print them out....the first time around the art work can cost as little as $20.00 up to detailed stuff like I just did for the San Diego Roadster Club chapter here and run up to $300 depending on the complexity. If you saw the Ricer NHRA drags from Woodburn on ESPN a few weeks ago you may have noticed the NHRA official signs on the starting line...yup...me

All that art work was about $100 but it was scanned from so so prepared art.

I'm guessing your stuff will be about $20-30 then to print up 10-12 will run you about $5.00 or less each...of course if you need 200 the cost would drop significantly to about $2.00 each.

Once we have the artwork we can make them the size of the side of a trailer if you want and small enough for a coffee cup. We can also give you an assortment of sizes all at the same timne with one setup.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:54 PM
Inactive User

I had a Crower grind in one of my 318's years ago, 244/244 @ 0.050 hydraulic, can't quite recall the lift, still have the cam somewhere, check the lift later, anyway fairly sure it was a touch under .530 lift, unfortunately never ran that engine on the track but for a 318 the performance was pretty good on the street, rough idle.

Used Hi - Intensity lifters with the cam.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:33 PM
Inactive User

Cuda:

So what's the lift and duration of the cam in your 318? Or does only the NSA know that?

Anyway, I got some pretty good numbers in Desktop Dyno with a Crane Cams 504/304. Something like 427 HP at 6000. My old cam shows about 420 HP at 6200, so there was some inprovment. Also looked at theComp cams 519/294, but due to not enough numbers on thier website, I couldn't get all the settings right so it made about 390 HP.

I will email you with specs on my graphics. I use Photoshop pretty well, and I can probably much better than a rough sketch of the logo and how I would like it to appear.

Dartman
Old 10-30-2002, 03:10 PM
Inactive User

Try looking at the Hughes solid grinds.
Old 10-30-2002, 04:57 PM
Inactive User

Hughes mechanicals were too big for my appication, but some of thier Hydros looked good:

The HE3038AL 515/276 made 440 "virtual" HP at 6500, 13 more HP than the aforementioed Crane at 427.

I've never scrutinized Desktop Dynos numbers too close before, so I hope thier in the ball park. Of course thier not accurate, but to show the difference a cam change can do is really helpful.

Dartman
Old 10-30-2002, 05:39 PM
Inactive User

I'm building a 318 at the moment, going to use a Comp Cam 255 @ 0.050 mechanical, .540 lift ....this should wake up the 318 LOL!
Old 10-31-2002, 10:53 AM
Banned

Repeat after me....
I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar

Now do that 100 times then before you go ahead and buy it anyhow call Jim at Racer Brown and listen to his lecture on cam grinding and 40 years of grinding Mopar Cams.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:06 PM
Inactive User

I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar I will not put a Chebby Cam in my Mopar

Call Jim at Racer BrownCall Jim at Racer BrownCall Jim at Racer BrownCall Jim at Racer BrownCall Jim at Racer BrownCall Jim at Racer BrownCall Jim at Racer BrownCall Jim at Racer BrownCall Jim at Racer BrownCall Jim at Racer BrownCall Jim at Racer BrownCall Jim at Racer BrownCall Jim at Racer BrownCall Jim at Racer BrownCall Jim at Racer BrownCall Jim at Racer BrownCall Jim at Racer Brown

I think I got it now...

PS - are you being evasive about your L and D on your cam or what?
Old 10-31-2002, 10:01 PM
Banned

I'm sorry...it's no secret I just feel it's not right and I will be changing it this winter.

518 with 240/245 I/E duration at 50 with 102 ATDC centerline.

Jim's already got a grind figured out that will be better with the new heads...and I agree..although a 12.12 with a 318 is pretty respectable of the Huggins cam thats in it.