Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-31-2002, 11:27 AM
Inactive User

Default New Charger R/T, runs on what fuel?

So what do you think of Ma's new baby, I've a couple of buddys that can't wait!!!

http://www.dodge.com/inside/concept_...harger_rt.html

diego-ted
Old 10-31-2002, 11:45 AM
Inactive User

Here's hoping the lottery hits for me, should I order one on spec?
Old 10-31-2002, 12:39 PM

That is OLD news. There is a very long (multiple pages) thread about it over in the Rumors area.

The production Charger will not look like that. As it stands, the latest insider rumor is that the Charger will be an Intrepid Charger.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:40 PM

I forgot to mention, by OLD news, I mean that the Charger concept was shown 3 or 4 years ago.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:25 PM
Inactive User

Ed, you poped my bubble, I didn't know. We can still dream huh.
diego-ted
Old 10-31-2002, 04:35 PM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

I thought the upcoming 300 replacement was going to take over the "Charger concept" styling, layout, etc....?

Old 11-01-2002, 01:09 AM

Nope. The next gen 300 (with RWD) will not look like the concept Charger. It was already designed, before the concept Charger. They were to share the sameplatform and drivetrains. Interior and body stylings were to be different.

They will still share the same platform and drivetrains, as the next gen Intrepid will be riding on the platform.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:44 AM
Inactive User

I have heard that these rwd cars will be optioned with the 5.7 Hemi (cast in aluminum instead of iron like in the trucks). That sure would give the Impala Super Sucker crowd something to stick in their pipe and smoke.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:17 AM

The only problem is that they are going to coming in a year after GM has brought in the Holden GTO and only a year before GM brings back the retro-Camaro.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:41 AM
Inactive User

Does that mean the next Intrepid will be RWD? too cool. Lets hope it's hemi powered.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:54 PM
Inactive User

Charger info taken from:

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b030501.htm

Every day, I receive several letters from readers wondering about the status of the Charger. They still come despite the fact that last April Buzz Watch broke the story that Dodge had canceled their plans to do a production version of the cool Charger R/T concept. In a subsequent column I told you that the while the Charger R/T as designed was dead, work was being done to design a different Charger.

The original concept was not very popular within Chrysler. Personally I loved the look of the concept, like most of DC's show cars it's stunning in person. However, looking back over the readers poll responses for 1999, your opinions, where decidedly mixed as well. While most liked the idea of a modern RWD muscle car, a good portion of those who responded said they didn't like the look of the car or that they hated the four-door setup or both. Never-the-less the letters requesting that Chrysler "Build The Charger!" keep coming in.

The bad news is that its still dead. If you want a Charger R/T concept your only options are to get one of Donie's awesome prints or the Hot Wheels replica. The good news . . . one of my Ace Buzz Patrollers reports that Chrysler has heard the consumers and is developing a vehicle that will celebrate Dodge's performance heritage and please Muscle car fans.

Wether it will carry the Charger badge or perhaps another Dodge performance name (Challenger for example) is still unknown. The only thing I know for sure, is that it will be a modern take on the classic RWD muscle car and that V8 power will be available. My source promises that Mopar muscle car fans "will not be disappointed." Barring any major changes, the Dodge Muscle Car will be showing up in 2005.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bbeckwith
Does that mean the next Intrepid will be RWD? too cool. Lets hope it's hemi powered.
Yes, the entire LH platform will become the LX platform. The LX platform is RWD. Anything that uses the LH platform will be converted.

Here is the text of a MUCH more recent article from Car Truck

Quote:
Regular readers will recall that I showed you a rendering of what the next generation Concorde (which will probably be called New Yorker) and the next generation 300 (the 300N) over a year ago. I've been trying to track down the scoop on what the next generation Intrepid will look like ever since.

Every day I receive a few letters from readers wondering if (or when) Dodge will do a production version of the 1999 Dodge Charger Concept. As I told you in my last update on the subject, Chrysler has no plans to do a production version of the concept. However as I reported a high-ranking insider told me that a "Charger Mark II" was in the works.

I assumed that he was referring to a Dodge version on the 2-door LX platform that was (and still may be?) Under development for the 300 HEMI convertible. Then recently another of my Ace Buzz Patrollers shared some information about the design direction that the next generation Intrepid has taken. The rendering above, by master automotive artist, Mark Stehrenberger, is based on that information.

First a little background, the third generation of Chrysler's "LH" full size sedan platform is codenamed LX. Back in June of 1999 Buzz Watch originally broke the story that the LX platform would feature a modular set-up that would allow it to be built either as a front-wheel drive or rear-wheel-drive (in 2000 I learned the front-wheel-drive "LJ" program had been canceled).

All the LX vehicles will be rear wheel drive. While they will continue to be primarily V6 powered, using revised versions of the 2.7 and 3.5 liter engines. The best news is that an all aluminum version of Chrysler's new5.7 liter, HEMI V8 will be available as an option.

The cars will incorporate systems and components from Mercedes Benz, including: transmissions, steering columns, seat frames and axles. They will also share electronic architecture with MB products. Both cars will use independent suspension with MacPherson struts in front to deliver precise steering, and an aluminum five-link coil-over-shock rear set-up to further enhance ride and handling.

The LX cars will have a wheelbase three or four inches longer then the current LH cars but the overall length will be reduced. They will be a bit wider but height will be unchanged. The interior will be slightly larger then the spacious current models. Wheels will probably be in the 18/19-inch range and they will ride on wider tires.

Chrysler gave us a preview of the direction they were considering for the Intrepid replacement when they unveiled the Dodge Super 8 HEMI concept at the 2001 NAIAS. While they expected that its retro/modern look would be another PT-like home run, the concept was not well received by either the press or the public. Since Chrysler puts a lot of weight into public opinion, the exterior design was sent back to the drawing board.

As a starting point they took the design of the popular Charger R/T concept then they combined it with the styling direction they've been working on for the 300N (below). The result is a modern design which is inspired by the Charger concepts take on classic Charger design cues (short rear deck, long hood, coke bottle shape and side scoops). Like the current Intrepid it has a "sedan with coupe styling" look. Mark chose to retain the suicide doors used on both the Charger and Super 8 HEMI concepts. It seems unlikely that these will end up on the production model.

So when will we get to see the real thing? Good question. The LX cars where originally slated to debut for model year 2003. That changed after Dieter Zetsche took over the helm the program was bumped forward to MY 2004. Previously, I've reported buzz that the first LX's would launch as early 2004's in the spring of 03.

However, one of my Ace Buzz Patrollers tells me that is not the case. He points out that "testing for all the models won't be complete until January of 2004. Which means that the LX will bow in the spring of 2004 as either 2004.5's or early 2005's. There's been Buzz that the Chrysler will be the first to bow and that the Dodge and 300 won't show until a year later (spring 2005). It seems unlikely that they would wait that long . . . but I have yet to confirm or deny that information?

I've heard definitive Buzz that we'll be seeing a preview of the Chrysler LX next January at the North American International Auto Show. While it's possible that we'll see a preview of the Dodge as well, we'll probably have to wait for the 2004 Detroit show to see it. I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:10 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the info Ed.

I suppose I'm beating a dead horse but why oh why did they have to put 4 doors on the charger concept anyway? Mileage/capacity /fleet ratings?
Make the d..ned thing hemi powered, rwd, 2 door, and do the one thing that worked in 68 and 70. Make it cheap, I certainly wouldnt mind window cranks and radio delete options. Keep the carpet and give me rubber mats even. Then as an option, make the GTX type optional modern interior accoutrements, stereos w/ a bazillion watts and as many speakers, lectric seats and windows, etc etc.
I would love to be able to buy a stripped down Charger, made for the working class guy to afford. Guess I'm dreaming, gotta move into the 21st century huh?

Bruce
Old 11-04-2002, 10:26 AM
Inactive User

The one I want them to build is the Razor concept.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:13 PM
Inactive User

Default the right stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by bbeckwith
Thanks for the info Ed.

Make the d..ned thing hemi powered, rwd, 2 door, and do the one thing that worked in 68 and 70. Make it cheap, I certainly wouldnt mind window cranks and radio delete options. Keep the carpet and give me rubber mats even. Then as an option, make the GTX type optional modern interior accoutrements, stereos w/ a bazillion watts and as many speakers, lectric seats and windows, etc etc.
I would love to be able to buy a stripped down Charger, made for the working class guy to afford. Bruce
Thats the stuff dreams are made of.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:06 AM
Inactive User

Reality is that the options are where Mopar makes their money. I very seriously doubt they would offer a stripper version (rubber mats and the like) of anything especially performance.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:11 PM
Inactive User

Default Thats right

Quote:
Originally posted by Dart
Reality is that the options are where Mopar makes their money. I very seriously doubt they would offer a stripper version (rubber mats and the like) of anything especially performance.
Thats right follow the money.
Rule one when doing bizz.

However ther are many opions that could be deleted with eaze.
Suppose John doe could go down to the dealer plop down a wade of doe and say to the man, I want a new (viper for example)
But with out This, that and the other thing.
What if all he wanted was a shell and a v10 wired for sound.
Provided it was paid in advance .
Then why couldn`t they just let it roll through the assembly line
unfinished .
And if legally nessisary title it as such.
There would be no exta cost to the factory. no extra man hours.
I`ll bet there would be a lot more hot rods on the street if they did.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:56 PM
Inactive User

Default whats next

If Dodge does bring back the Charger, whats next, 'Cuda
Old 11-08-2002, 10:29 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: whats next

Quote:
Originally posted by frederick_76
i can only dream
Old 11-08-2002, 10:30 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: whats next

Quote:
Originally posted by frederick_76
Whats next, indeed!
The charger and the cuda ,challenger ,the bee`s ,the birds the daytona`s ,Hemi`s GTX`s ... So many names---So many stories-- Don`t use those names on some modern day pile of crap!!!
Do you think Iam out of line?
Think about it ,when you hear some one say I`ve got a charger.
What comes to mind?
Well for me it`s not an 80 something 4cylinder wizz banger.
When someone says duster does torizmo come to mind?
Nope not for me!
I have heard the saying get real get a mopar.
Thats bull____!
I say get a real mopar!!!
Lee Ia coo coo should have been slaped!!!
(Give me back my big block)
Ralgh Naetor and the insurance companies should have minded their own busness, and left everyone to their on demise.
Just The way it looks to me