Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-01-2002, 12:22 AM

Default B-Body Disc Brake Conversion

Greetings all,

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death, but I tend to read and save topics that I'm working on at "that moment." If you guys wouldn't mind repeating yourselves...

What Year make and model do I need to find in the Junk Yard to pirate some disc brakes that will fit my '69 Charger. Also, what parts do I need to take? (Calipers, Spindles, Rotors, etc...).

I have to re-run my brake lines because of my new headers so I figure this is probably a good time to do the conversion.

Once again, I appreciate all of your help!

Later,

Greg

ps: My new Summit Radiator has a giant "Made in the USA" stamp on the side
Old 11-01-2002, 12:42 AM
Inactive User

The tech article at www.moparaction.com has a great disc brake conversion walk thru.

Of course, you could also pick up the latest Mopar Action at the newstand (Feb 03 cover date) and read about the kit that I make using Viper calipers!
Old 11-01-2002, 12:48 AM

70 - 74 E-body or 73 - 76 A-body

From the salvage yard, you will need the spindles, caliper adapters, and proportionary valve. From the auto parts shop, you will need a new master, a loaded caliper set, rotors, and bearings (all for the type of car that the parts were removed from). That should cover everything.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:34 PM
Inactive User

Greg,
I did this same swap about 3 years ago, from manual 10" drums to the 11.75" cop discs.

I wound up spending more than I had budgeted for the project, mainly because the ball joint threads on an upper control arm stripped out (be careful when torquing ball joints into used control arms). One thing led to another, and I just ended up replacing all the ball joints and upper control arm bushings (all 10 yrs old) with new OEM stuff.

I purchased a re-man manual booster, no power brakes, haven't needed them. Nice pedal feel. I left the stock prop. valve in place, and installed a Summit adj. prop. valve in the brake line to the rear end.

Some fellas purchase the cool Moog "problem solver" upper control arm bushings if they suspect they're going to need more camber range.

You may also want to consider swapping out your current tie rod adjusting sleeves/ends for the larger 11/16" stuff from '74-'78 C-Body cars. Supposed to increased rigidity and steering response. As close as your local boneyard, or pony up for brand new stuff. This is definitely my next steering upgrade.

This was easily one of the best upgrades I've ever done to my car, and I haven't even began experimenting with aftermarket pads.
You're going to love it!
Old 11-01-2002, 05:57 PM
Inactive User

Bob and I have done this swap before if you want us to come over and help ya with it. We are getting ready to do it again to the Barracuda.

Edit: We went to the Junkyard and there are disc brake parts out there.
Old 11-02-2002, 12:46 AM

Crazy & Husband (bob),

Yes, come help out! If you guys have done this before let's go bone yarding! Thanks all for the input!

Greg

ps: Any hints on bending brake lines?
Old 11-02-2002, 12:37 PM
Inactive User

On bending the brake lines, I usually get the old brake line out and the new one and follow it as a pattern, but since you have to rerun your lines due to your headers hmmm it's easier to just do it than explain it for me.