Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-29-1999, 04:22 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I did not go extreme but I did see improvement. I own a 95 Plymouth Grand
Voyager SE. It has the 5 spoke 15 inch wheels on it. Instead of the 205/70
15's that it came with I put on 215/65R15's from B.F.Goodrich. They are H
rated touring T/A's. They in my opinion made a big difference on how the van
looks, plus because of the speed rating the side walls are stiffer in the
tire which helped out on the steering feel. I like the wheels so I kept
them. The overall diameter is only .2 of an inch different from the 205's so
I didn't see and speedometer error.
As far as performance goes. I did had a high flow exhaust system installed
from the cat back 2.25 inch, with a performance street muffler. DO NOT USE a
FLOW MASTER way to loud! Just a turbo muffler. I made that mistake. With the
turbo there is just a little exhaust noise and it has a good tone.
I installed a K&N filter charger, and routed the air intake to just behind
the front bumper for cooler air. The last thing I done was to install a 180
degree thermostat. I have access to a G-tech but I didn't run the van until
I finished with all of it. The Van ran 18.1 sec at 74 mph before and ran a
17.2 sec at 80 mph after. I have a small program for straight line
performance and according to it the van has now somewhere around 200 hp. Oh
I have the 3.3 liter. I had to locate a thermostat with the same
measurements as the standard 195 because there is not a direct replacement
to a 180.
The only unsure thing is at what temp the computer goes into closed loop, that I don't know but the van has had no drop in mpg or and running problems.Anybody know?
Old 11-21-1999, 05:34 AM
Inactive User

Hey, I'm glad you posted your info, and times. I own a '94 Caravan (Std. wheelbase) with a 3.0 and 3speed auto. Last week, I took it to the strip (Grt. Lakes Dragway, Union Grove, WI) to see what it would do. My best time (out of six runs) was 18.037 at 73.58 MPH. My van has about 76,000 miles on it. The engine is basicly stock (except for a "drop-in" K&N filter). I replaced the stock original 14" wheels and tires with a set of 15x7" American Racing AR50's mounted with 215HR60/15 Yokohama Avid H4's. They DO NOT rub at all, and were the same diameter as the originals.

Today, I replaced the distributor cap, rotor and wires. They were all original factory equipment (the Sumitomo wires were code 1993). I used standard Mopar/Mits cap and rotor (almost the only game in town), but for wires, I went with Accel's 8.8mm Spiral Core wires. Boy, I could immediately tell the difference! The engine ran smoother, and there was more of a hint of "torque steer" under hard acceleration. I was going to also replace the plugs (NGK V-Power), but found that my plug socket/extension was either too short, or too long. I went and picked up a swivel 13/16" plug socket, as well as a 3" and 1/2" extension, and will swap out the plugs tomorrow.

I would like to hear more details about that exhaust system you installed. Was it pre-fab, or custom made? Were the pipes stainless steel or aluminized? Are the pipes standard or mandrel bent? I'm also curious about your muffler comments.
Old 01-08-2000, 04:25 AM
Shultzy

I too would like to hear about the exhaust system. I have a 98 Grand Caravan 3.3L and really want to get a few more horsies out of this little engine. I figure that a 2.25" is probably the way to go but it's the muffler brand that eludes me. I've had flowmasters on my Mustangs and Dakota but they would just be way to loud and buzzy on this V6. What brand of muffler did you use?

Also, the thermostat, what brand and part # number did you use? I've used 180's in all my vehicles and have had no problems.

I have a drop in K&N and really haven't noticed anything. I have found some Subaru cold air kits that should "almost" bolt right up. And they are only $90 w/K&N filter.

The best investment I have made so far is the Hellwig rear anti-sway bar. Big! difference in the way it corners. I figure an ADDCO sway-bar for the front and a set of Eibach springs should really make it handle well.

The Caravan R/T is a nice looking van and I hope to model mine somewhat after it. Those Viper hood scoops do add a nice touch. And I would swear it has an Intrepid nose.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shultzy View Post
I too would like to hear about the exhaust system. I have a 98 Grand Caravan 3.3L and really want to get a few more horsies out of this little engine. I figure that a 2.25" is probably the way to go but it's the muffler brand that eludes me. I've had flowmasters on my Mustangs and Dakota but they would just be way to loud and buzzy on this V6. What brand of muffler did you use?

Also, the thermostat, what brand and part # number did you use? I've used 180's in all my vehicles and have had no problems.

I have a drop in K&N and really haven't noticed anything. I have found some Subaru cold air kits that should "almost" bolt right up. And they are only $90 w/K&N filter.

The best investment I have made so far is the Hellwig rear anti-sway bar. Big! difference in the way it corners. I figure an ADDCO sway-bar for the front and a set of Eibach springs should really make it handle well.

The Caravan R/T is a nice looking van and I hope to model mine somewhat after it. Those Viper hood scoops do add a nice touch. And I would swear it has an Intrepid nose.
Where is the reply to this message? I am looking for the same answers.

MCar
Old 01-26-2008, 02:43 AM
Inactive User

I don't think you will get a reply as this post is back from 1999