Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-04-2002, 01:23 PM
Inactive User

Default SEMA is here!!

I have been quiet from the board for a little while, getting all these new Mopar products ready for the show! This is my third time writing this post, teaches me to try and post a pic at the same time as a thread! Dang message board software!

Well, the new stuff on display, which exhibits at SEMA open tomorrow, are the 440 Pro-Flo EFI and small block Pro-Flo EFI. There is an updated water pump for the big block, 8814, but that will not be on display. The EFI kits will be available about April of 2003, with the water pumps starting to ship out within a few weeks.

Well, I bet your all dying to see the pics, so I will post those now!
Old 11-04-2002, 01:25 PM
Inactive User

Here's the first pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 440 pro-flo 01.jpg (72.8 KB, 197 views)
Old 11-04-2002, 01:27 PM
Inactive User

The second....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 440 pro-flo 02.jpg (95.5 KB, 138 views)
Old 11-04-2002, 01:28 PM
Inactive User

and the last one.....

btw....the 440 Pro-Flo should hit the engine dyno soon! I'll keep ya updated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 440 pro-flo 03.jpg (68.4 KB, 122 views)
Old 11-04-2002, 01:37 PM
Inactive User

Cool. How much and when do we get a low deck (361-383-400) unit?
Old 11-04-2002, 01:39 PM

Dang that's pretty! How's the computer handle big cams, power adders, etc...? Anyone considering a 1150 dominator want to trade?

Later,

Greg
Old 11-04-2002, 01:40 PM
Inactive User

aj....

They will probably run you about $2300 or so, a little more than a Chevy unit, since it comes with an electronic advance distributor from Mallory. I haven't heard anything about plans for one for a 383....the best bet would be to bug our tech line after these unit are released!
Old 11-04-2002, 01:43 PM
Inactive User

Roger you made my day!

I need to know a whole lot more about that 440 Pro-Flo! I expect there is a substantial discount and SMOKIN price for fellow chat members.

In all the time I have been on this board, the injection issue has been a real stumbling block. Hats off to you and all your co-workers.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:46 PM
Inactive User

So what are the specs?
How much air flow and injector size?
How much Hp will it support?
What engine sensors does the computer use?
What about the control electronics?
How much will it cost?
Will the fuel line at the front fuel rail clear the distribitor, and will it fit on a car with A/C?
Will the pressure regulator (I think that is on the rear drivers side fuel rail) clear the valve covers?
Does the linkage have the correct offset?
Does Edelbrock plan to sell any throttle cable/kickdown brackets that correctly fit the manifold?
Old 11-04-2002, 03:00 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

451Mopar you read my mind!

RogerH, cool addition to you lineup, but I can't let the bright shiny things distract my mind
Old 11-04-2002, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RogerH
....since it comes with an electronic advance distributor from Mallory.
Roger -

Before you were saying that it would come with the MSD billet distributor. Why the change to the cheaper Mallory unit?
Old 11-04-2002, 05:38 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by 451Mopar
So what are the specs?
How much air flow and injector size?
How much Hp will it support?
What engine sensors does the computer use?
What about the control electronics?
How much will it cost?
Will the fuel line at the front fuel rail clear the distribitor, and will it fit on a car with A/C?
Will the pressure regulator (I think that is on the rear drivers side fuel rail) clear the valve covers?
Does the linkage have the correct offset?
Does Edelbrock plan to sell any throttle cable/kickdown brackets that correctly fit the manifold?
The specs are about the same as other Pro-Flo kits in our catalog, just like the 3507 in the new one for the SB Chevy with Vortec heads.

The air valve is a 1000 cfm and comes with 29 lb injectors, to support up to about 475-490 HP, you can get 44 lb injectors to support much more horsepower, but installed with the kit won't be available right away. It uses a Ford IAC, which is in the back of the throttle body, an air temp sensor which gets installed in the air cleaner, fuel pressure sensor in the fuel rail, a coolant sensor is supplier which goes in the water pump housing, and a oxygen sensor.

I don't know if it will fit a car with A/C, it might, but since the fuel crossover is in the front, you may need a different hose to go around it. Yes, the fuel crossover hose does clear the distributor. And everything clears the valve covers, the Mallory distributor is a snug fit, and this unit was used over a MSD since MSD does not offer a distributor with a hall-effects sensor and they aren't as accomidating in supplying one. Mallory already makes distributors with hall-effects sensor to use with the computer for timing advance.

No, there are no throttle backets made to fit this manifold. We might develop one when we install the unit in the vehicle, but there are no current plans for one.

The Pro-Flo computer can be programed to go along with big cams and such. It is more difficult to tune custum setups than using a laptop programable system. There are new Victor series EFI manifolds coming, which we will sell only EFI manifolds, fuel rail kits, and throttle bodies. There are two showing at SEMA for Chevy's, and other applications will be coming soon, and Mopar ones are on the list. We will supply the cast and machined parts, and the user is left with choosing their own computer and wiring everything up.

The Pro-Flo kits come with everything you need, including wire harness, ECU, and hand-held controller.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:31 PM

Cool

RogerH

Cool stuff!

One question unrelated to your post. Have you ever noticed your post number never changes? It appears to be stuck at 178.

HV
Old 11-04-2002, 08:47 PM
Inactive User

Hmmm...I don't think I am stuck....I just posted a reply on another thread, and it said 179....I am guessing with this one I should be at 180!
Old 11-05-2002, 01:05 PM
Inactive User

Roger is the Hall-Effect the only way to go with timing? I have one in a factory version, a 91 318 and I have always wondered if there was a better way to go. The advance on the Hall-Effect is somewhat limited as I understand it.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:13 PM
Inactive User

Brain.....

I am not all up to date on the electronics side of fuel injection. A Hall Effects sensor is one way to do timing. You can also use a magnetic pickup on the crank as well.

I am not sure what we used on the Honda race engines, but it did have a sensor looking at the flywheel, which had teeth on the outside diameter, I imagine that was a type of magnetic pickup. When the engine is spinning up to over 16,000 rpm, I am sure they had some good way to measure it.

Now that you asked, I will have to go talk to our electronics guy, and I will pass on what I find out.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:59 AM
Inactive User

I really appreciate that Roger.

I certainly don't mean to sound nit picky. I went to the Mallory site at Mr. Gasket, and looked up their distributers. I must admit I am not familier with all the newer stuff, and my experience is limited to the OEM Dodge Hall Effect stuff.

I have several fuel injection projects on the back burner, and I have stayed away from the Holley units due to unresolved problems they have had. I am confident that your unit will be the one I finally buy.

Old 11-19-2002, 10:31 PM
Inactive User

Roger I am all over that EFI bro! You want me to send you the 2300 now or wait till its out? I'm building a 750 HP 440 with a Paxton or Vortech s-charger with a 6-speed, you got me covered? Anyway, you boys at Edelbrock keep up the awsome work. The check WILL be in the mail!!

J-440
Old 11-21-2002, 04:46 AM

Question Edelbrock Pro-Flo 440 EFI

Some time has passsed since the last post on the subject. Has anyone got anything new to add? Has the first system been installed yet. What is the computer software setup like? etc etc
Old 11-21-2002, 11:31 AM
Banned

Hey Roger....you never did answer my email....Oregon is sure nice this time of the year.......I can see the catalog now....

Ram "Horn" Manifolds......custom flowed to your engine by X Edelbrock Mopar Manifold Engineer...the manifold that really works!

1200 sq ft available June 1st......:-))

Don
Old 11-21-2002, 01:05 PM
Inactive User

Phew......

I just dragged myself outta the shop. Been busy around here, I thought things were going to slow down after SEMA! NOT!

The 440 Pro-Flo was supposed to go on the dyno this week.....it doesn't look like its going to make it, but hoping to real soon. I have no control on that department. Then, there has been issues about the test vehicle we found to put it in.....the boss doesn't remember agreeing to buying it! LOL....so we'll have to refresh his memory! Part are going to Magneti so they can setup the assembly fixtures, so I hope that early next year we can get ready to put kits on the shelf, but I don't think they will stay there long!

Brian......

I haven't forgoten about ya. Just haven't had anytime yet to find that info for you.

J-440......

Wow....750 HP 440! I do know people have made our system work with forced induction, but not with that much power. You might be pushing the limits of our computer and injector limits. We are now coming out with a Victor EFI line, which is placing injector bosses on Victor manifold and machining the manifold to accept Bosch style injectors. There is also fuel rails to go with them, and a new line of throttle bodies. I think your combination would be perfect for it. It will not be as cheap as the Pro-Flo stuff, but I think you are on a totally different level than that. I don't think even our fuel pump can keep up with that much power.

If you need any input as far as EFI stuff that can work for you, let me know.

cuda.....

I sent you a reply this morning....finally catching up on things. I've been working on filing cores to cast some new prototype castings, for a Honda intake manifold.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:40 AM
Inactive User

Great to hear from you Roger. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:16 AM

Hi RogerH

Will the 440 Pro-Flo be at the PRI Show in Indianapolis this year?

Are you going to the show?
Old 11-22-2002, 09:53 AM
Banned

Cuda66273 will be there.....

Leave a message on the board for "Don-Too Much Motorsports"
Old 11-22-2002, 12:22 PM
Inactive User

No, I will not be going to the PRI show. They only send a small few there, compared to SEMA.

You know, I don't have any idea whether the 440 Pro-Flo will be there. I would assume that it would not, since its not considered a racing part. If you want to see any of my work, there will be a Honda Civic turbo kit displayed on an engine there, and I did that intake manifold.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:41 PM
Inactive User

cuda66273,
I have not forgotten about the Texas Performance decals from Ron, I have just not been on that side of town lately. Don't give up , Christmas is just around the corner:

Gary
wave:
Old 11-23-2002, 10:15 AM
Banned

Roger...Honda??? you traitor....LOL
I'll have a peek at it but don't let anyone know I looked, I wouldn't want to ruin my reputation....LOL

Gary...Thanks...I thought for sure my shipment from them yesterday would have a Decal in the bottom of one of the 30 boxes...but no luck....I'll be seeing Ron at PRI in a couple of weeks and I'll harrass him..
Old 11-25-2002, 01:00 PM
Inactive User

We don't discriminate between car brands here. There are also no person claimed to be the head "Mopar" or "insert auto brand here" head engineer. LOL We have had people call to talk to the head Ford engineer.....

With as few people who work here in engineering, we all do a little of everything. In my little time here, I have worked on Chevy's, Ford's, Mopar's, and Honda's.

My boss should have his new high flow cylinder head on display at the show, for a Chevy, a 7740. You should take a look at it....and put a vote in for something similar for Mopar! Its a nice piece.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:10 PM
Inactive User

So if we all call in and ask for the Mopar engineer, will you come to the phone?
Old 11-27-2002, 06:38 PM
Inactive User

LOL.....well, if you call the tech line and ask that....they will probably interagate you to see if indeed you do need to talk to an engineer. Most likely you'll get the guy in tech who knows the most about Mopar's. If you call the front desk and ask....they will probably be clueless and forward you to the tech line.

btw.....72......your challenger have a small block in it? Is it an auto or a manual trans?

Vic declined to buy a calibration car for the Pro-Flo's and we have a 440 car to borrow to do calibration on, but will most likely be looking for one to do a small block calibration on. with either a 340 or 360. Manual trans are prefered.