Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-04-2002, 09:25 PM
Inactive User

Question Engine build q's.

Im looking at building my 440 up and I dont know to much about engine building. As I said before I have a '67 440 from a ??? and I want to be putting out 5 to 600 horses. It is going in my '71 Road Runner. All the engine has on it right now that isnt stock is: high compression heads, edelbrock performer rpm intake w/ edelbrock 750 cfm carb, and a milodin windage tray and deep sump oil pan. Im going to run 3.55 gears in my 8 3/4 rear (489 case). I currently have a 4 speed manual trans on the engine (which is in the RR). I dont want N02, just engine. I would like to bore it and stroke it but dont know too much about either. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:38 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb just a thought

Don`t try to get all your info in one post.
You would do better to ask many ??`s in seperate postes.
There is many people with much info ready to share with you.
Just try to be a little more spucific as to what you want to know.
Rome wasn`t biult in a day.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:03 AM
Inactive User

I think you asked this same stuff in another thread, didn't you?
Old 11-05-2002, 02:21 AM
Inactive User

Yes I asked in a Vintage Mopar thread. This isnt really "Vintage" Mopar info as much as it is "Performance" Mopar. Anyway I thought I would ask it this way instead of asking every single question because I know there are just so many different ways to build up an engine I cant really just ask like what cam to use. That depends on what bore I have, what type of pistons, heads, and so on, and also as to what you are going to be using the engine for. Im not totally clueless on what goes into an engine. I can tear an engine down and rebuild it just fine, its just when it comes to putting "non stock" parts together right so it all works "right" is where it all gets dark for me. I can slap a bunch parts together and call it an engine but it probably wont run worth a darn. I can go out and buy a "Building Performance Engines" manual and do it that way but they pretty much just show you how to build it one way. I guess what Im asking is basicaly what other people have done for this same "type" of engine, or what should be done for one. Thanks
Old 11-05-2002, 04:15 PM
Inactive User

OK - cool.

Most people recommend not to bore a 440 more the 0.030, but mine is 0.060, without problems. Mine is built as a tow motor, so will never see much RPM. The race 440 I'm going to build will only be 30 over. If you've got the money, I'd put Edelbrock heads on it - there are lots of advantages to them and you can search this form under "Edelbrock heads" to see what people have been saying. I put them on a pretty stout 340, and I'm very pleased with the bang for the buck.

As far as strokers are concerned - I don't know much about the specifics of them, but there are some guys on the forum that have them. I think Indy, Aeroheads, Muscles Motors, Ray Barton and Hughes are guys that have a lot of experience with them, and they also sell kits.

Good luck on your project.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:36 PM
Inactive User

My next build will likely be close to the CarCraft/Mopar Muscle 440 that was done last year.
It is a mild 440, 10.23:1 compression, Box Stock Edelbrock heads, mild 230@ 0.050" hydraulic flat tappet cam, 1.6:1 rockers, etc.
The engine was making around 535-540 HP, and 570-580 ft/lbs of torque. Should idle nice and run on pump gas.

Engine could be built for about $4,000 if you already have the RPM intake, carb, headers, etc.

If you want more power, a larger cam, Carb, more compression and some head porting should make over 600 HP.