Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-20-2000, 10:04 PM
Inactive User

Question

I just got a 92 Spirit ES with 3.0. It has 130,000 on it. In the morning I get a clicking noise from the motor. sounds like a lifter to me, but Im a V-8 guy. My 90 Voyager did the same for a short time before the motor decided to croak. I dont need 2 blown up 3.0s. any help would be appreciated.

------------------
Laine
Lmopar69@hotmail.com
Old 01-21-2000, 01:20 AM
Drag Racer

It's not unusual to hear a noisey lifter in a 3.0l in the morning or even when the oil level is low. It won't cause any trouble if you leave it. You could always replace it but being a Jap part they aren't real cheap ecspecialy if you want change them all. As long as you keep the engine oil topped up and change it when you should, it shouldn't blow up. These motors tend to smoke after getting older from the valve seals getting hard and somewhere around 92 the valve guides got clips on them from the factory so they wouldn't fall down causing oil burning as well.
Old 01-22-2000, 07:49 PM
Inactive User

Another guy just told me it is probably a main or rod bearing. Ive never heard one sound like that but, it would make sense as to why my other one threw a rod after making that noise for awhile. Anyone else want to confirm one of these ideas?

------------------
Laine
Lmopar69@hotmail.com
Old 01-22-2000, 08:04 PM
Inactive User

Can you find something in your garage that will work as a stethoscope, like a pipe or a suitable piece of wood. You should be able to tell where the sound is coming from by holding the "stethoscope" to your ear and various locations on the engine like the oil pan or the cylinder head covers.
Old 01-23-2000, 07:13 PM
Inactive User

Thanks I just thought of that myself. You would think I could remember the simple little tricks. But I guess if you dont use it you lose it. Ive been in Germany now for 6 months and havent had much chance to work on cars. Thanks later.

------------------
Laine
Lmopar69@hotmail.com