Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-07-2002, 03:13 PM
Inactive User

Idea 727 Torqueflight questions

Hey guys!
I've decided not to pursue the manual option quite yet as it would be a lot of cash for me to plunk down! I have a 1978 440 from a New Yorker complete with the original 727 Torqueflight.
Now, I would like to rebuild this tranny. What is the best (or at least a good one! ) kit to buy for this? I've seen service manuals for these trannies listed in Norther Automotive.
Second question: Is it possible to change the first gear ratio on these? I'm going along the lines of how the Richmond 4+1 manual works. You can specify what gearing you want for first. Who knows, maybe it's not even possible with an auto....
I'm also thinking about running a B&M High Performance Street shift kit. Any thoughts about that? Perhaps a better kit is out there for a car that will be street driven only?
Thanks for the help! I'm always amazed at not only the amount of replies I get from you guys but also the speed at which I get them! Thanks for making this experience so great!
Old 11-07-2002, 06:43 PM
Inactive User

I would talk to mancini racing, they have some good kits put together and reasonable. I used their racing kit in the cuda and found it to be all I could want.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:11 PM
Inactive User

Northern Automotive

I bought the rebuild kit from Northern Auto Parts. It had all the parts necesary for a good rebuild. I got the manual from them too.
the kit is a Transtar and the manual is from ATSG.
I am very pleased with the transtar kit. it shifts very well as stock. I have yet to put an extra clutch and disc in the front drum, turn up the line press. and remove the accumulator spring.
Unfortunatley I cannot get thier website to come up to give you a valid link. but here is another source. I havent used them yet, but they have a great selection of parts!

http://www.netgearhead.com/partsinquiry.asp

As far as a lower first gear set, try these guys.http://www.aandatrans.com/
hope this helps
5th
Old 11-07-2002, 08:11 PM

I know "everybody" says remove the accumulator spring to firm the upshift, don't waste your time, it does no good and can cause harm.
The only way to change the 1st gear ratio in a 727 is with pricey aftermarket gears. Some cars benefit from the lower gears, some don't.
The B&M Transpack is a good shift kit as is the TransGo TF-2, stay away from the cheapo B&M "Shift Improver Kit".
For a first time builder the B&M Transkit is a good option. It contains the necessary rebuild parts, a reprogramming kit and instructions.
Old 11-12-2002, 01:12 AM
Inactive User

Default 727 Torqueflight

I have used two B&M Transpack kits on 2 different cars. I have been satisfied with both. On the street, if you have slippery conditions you have to be careful how quickly you pull a downshift. B&M gives you an option - instant shift control or a slightly "softer" shift.

I run a 400 in 5300# car with a limited slip differential and it chirps the tires smartly on upshift to second and is firm in shift to third. The shift is quick enough for me.

Bernie
Old 11-12-2002, 06:00 PM
Inactive User

The B&M transKit is a good package. It comes with a well illustrated manual and gives instructions for different levels of performance. The Turbo Action tansBox is also good. I used TRS components in a Powerglide and was happy with the results.

ATSG books are application specific and are very good. I have a dozen or so if them for 727,c4,c6,AOD,... and have not found errors in any of them. They have torque and clearance specifications.

Gill Younger, at Trans-go, gives good modification information in his booklets also.

Since you are new to transmissions(I think), I would recommend that you get an ATSG book and the complete B&M transKit. This will supply you with some handy reference materials.

I build very few transmissions, one per year on average, so I have to use references almost every time I open one up. The above booklets work for me.

Billy
Old 11-13-2002, 03:19 AM
Inactive User

Billydero,

Where does one get those ATSG books? I have been looking for a good 727 reference book for sometime...

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:01 AM
Inactive User

If I remember correctly, Northern Automotive has the ATSG books.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:33 PM
Inactive User

I get all my ATSG books at NAPA. They carry a few in stock, but most of the time it is next day service. They are paper-back booklets and cost in the $12.00 range.

Billy