Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-19-1999, 11:53 PM
Inactive User

I have been visiting this site for the past month and everyone seems to be very helpful with solving problems and now I need some advice. My wifes '93 Voyager dies sometimes with no warning or anything. It has the 3.0 and 3 speed trans. It started about 2 years ago and does it when you let off the gas like when you come up to a stop sign. It will do this 3 or 4 times over a 2 or 3 day period then it does great for a couple months then it starts again. Temperature does't seem to matter since it does it in the winter or summer or the fact that you drove 100' or 300 miles. You can't tell it dies until you push the gas and it doesn't move. The lights don't dim and it cranks right back up. I have replaced the fuel filter and the dealer checked it out but found nothing. It now has about 95000 miles and runs fine other than this problem. Thanks very much for any assistance anyone can provide.
Old 12-20-1999, 11:38 PM
Moderate anarchist

Have you run your computer codes yet? probably not I'll bet. Run them (look in you owners manual, it'll tell you how). Bet you get the code for speed and distance sensor. You symptoms are classic speed and distance sensor going bad.

Steve
Old 12-21-1999, 11:23 AM
Inactive User

Also throttle position sensor and a fuel pump could cause this,you really need to plug it into a scantool to make an accurate diagnosis....PRO...
Old 12-23-1999, 01:05 AM
Inactive User

Thanks very much for the advice folks. Supposedly the dealer checked for codes and had it on the scanner before when they said they found nothing wrong. I have found other things the garage was supposed to have done but weren't. Needless to say they don't touch my cars anymore. I will follow the advise and see if I can take care of the problem. Again, thanks. By the way, the car has been fine for the last 3 days, again.
Old 12-24-1999, 11:33 PM
Inactive User

My 93 voyager does the same exact thing but it only does it about 1 day every 3-4 months so i haven`t worried about it too much.It`s fine 99% of the time but if you find the problem let us know.
Old 12-25-1999, 11:28 PM
Inactive User

JDR
What you describe is very common with m.p.i
engines.Especially 3.0 ltr. mitsu's.
Your throttle body is dirty. you can probably
cure it by spraying carb or plenum cleaner
into the t/b around the throttle plate,but to
do it right,remove the throttle body then
unscrew the t.p.s and I.A.C motor(#25 torx)
clean the body thoroughly in solvent make
sure you pay extra attention to the I.A.C
passage.Make sure you clean the pintle on the
I.A.C before reassembly.Unhook your battery
during this operation, this will reset the
I.A.C step value... Good luck
Old 01-15-2000, 09:17 PM
Inactive User

I have a 87' dodge caravan with the 3.0 that did something like you describe, only when coming toa stop sign it would (hunt) increase rpm's then die out.it was a bad map senser and was not coming in fault codes
Old 01-26-2000, 02:24 AM
Inactive User

I took off the throttle body and cleaned it up real good. I also checked the codes but that came up clear. It's going on a month now since it was cleaned up and it hasn't died yet. Thanks for the help.