Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-07-2002, 08:37 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Default Jacobs or MSD?

Which is prefered for a streetable small block? MSD is a good name but I have heard a lot of good things about Jabobs ignition. Anyone have any knowledge on the subject. I have a MP electronic distributor, will these bolt right up so to say. All comments welcome. Thanks.
73 Swinger
76 Ram 3/4 Ton
77 Ram Shortbed 1/2 Ton
74 Duster w/318
92 Sundance
89 LeBarron Convertable Turbo
Old 11-07-2002, 09:05 PM
Inactive User

MSD`s digital 6 plus works real good on the street...
Jabobs I haven`t used but I did call them about one of there ignitions,, I didn`t like the hard sell tatics they used on me so I just hungup on them.
My $.02
Joe
Indianapolis,In.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:13 PM

Both systems have good points and bad points. In the end, it is really personal preference.

The MSD system uses predifend programming to determine how many sparks it sends at any given RPM range. The Jacobs measure the resistance of the spark to determine if it needs more spark on the specific cylinder.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:31 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

I've used booth. 6 or 1/2 dozen. MSD is cheaper.

wedge440;

Surprised to here they tried hard sell tatics on ya. They shouldn't have to. Weird. Maybe if they werent so expensive.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:28 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin My .0002 worth

I tried 1 MSD unit and probably got the only bad one in 5,000 that they put out so I switched to a Jacobs unit in my '71 Charger and liked it. My current '74 Dart 360 has a Prostreet ultra team kit and works really well with 10.1:1 compression and very high cylinder pressure. You WILL go through the distributor caps on an every 3-4 month basis if it's a daily driver as these units with their Ultra Coil put out some serious voltage! Make sure to get the best components (cap, rotor) and go for it, they carry a great warranty on the wires, too (lifetime).

www.jacobselectronics.com

440cj
Old 11-08-2002, 02:52 PM
Inactive User

They both seem to be good units.
I got the MSD6AL bacause I had heard of problems with Jacobs customer service if you do have a problem.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:45 PM
Inactive User

Been running the same MSD 6-AL box for 10 years now.
Running the billet distributor for 8 years now.
While more costly, the billet dist. is light years better than MP dist.
Both on 440.
ZERO problems - well worth the money.
Easily one of the top upgrades I've done to my car.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:48 PM
Inactive User

I bought the MSD6AL. It's a good box. I also called Jacobs and they really put a hard sell on me, too. I figured their sales technique probably reflected how they would treat customer service/support issues.

I've got enough grief in my life to look forward to putting up with that.

Please vote on the pole on the thread "Taking a Stand". Voting on this should be important to all MOPAR lovers
Old 11-08-2002, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 451Mopar
They both seem to be good units.
I got the MSD6AL bacause I had heard of problems with Jacobs customer service if you do have a problem.
I had a complete Jacobs system, back in the late '80s. The computer had a malfunction about 6 months after I started using it. I spoke with Jacobs tech support and they agreed that the computer had a problem. They called the place where I bought it from and setup the exchange. All I had to do was take the computer to the parts shop that I bought it from and then he was re-imbursed by Jacobs.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:23 PM

Thanks for all the information. If there is no great difference I can buy a MSD6A off the shelf at Auto Zone for 100 bucks. I take it this will hook up to a MP electronic distributor won't it? Or does it have to be points? If that was the case I could live without the unit, points suck! Thanks for the help.
73 Swinger
76 Ram 3/4 Ton
77 Ram Shortbed 1/2 Ton
74 Duster w/318
92 Sundance
Old 11-08-2002, 06:08 PM
Inactive User

They work fine with electronics or points. If you can get an MSD 6AL for a little more - I think you should get that one.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:14 PM

Doug is there a big performance difference between the two? If so what is the diff? My total package is a 71 318 with 340 intake, a TQ up top and stock 340 cam. It has duel exaust with glass packs and a MP electronic distributor in the mail as we speak. Brand new on e-bay for 27.00. The car and motor only have 76K total miles and it is a great daily driver. The tranny is a pro rebuild that works awesome but will end up with a transgo shift kit. Pretty plain, but very effiecent and effective for a daily driver. The sure grip out back helps this big monster 71 Sat jump out the hole.
73 Swinger
76 Ram 3/4 Ton
77 Ram Shortbed 1/2 Ton
74 Duster w/318
92 Sundance
Old 11-08-2002, 08:45 PM
Inactive User

The 6-AL has a rev-limiter feature to prevent engine failure.
The rev-limit point is adjusted with little plug-in modules (they give you some with the kit).

You stole that MP distributor!

On the subject of distributors:
MSD has recently released a new line of "Ready to Run" billet distributors.
- Built-in module delivering high-energy spark
- Adjustable mechanical advance
- Vacuum advance (regular billet dist. don't have this)
- Sealed ball bearings

Basically, it's the billet distributor with vacuum advance and the ignition module located inside. No box on the firewall. Cool.
P/N 8388 for 318, 340, 360

Saw in ad in Dec '02 Mopar Action
Old 11-09-2002, 12:44 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up One my second Jabobs system.........

I will be installing my second Jacobs system on my Ramcharger this weekend. Had on of the early "energy Pac" systems on my old Coronet. I installed it for the off idle stumble I couldn't seem to tune out of the carb. It cured that along with giving me much better throttle response. I was lucky with that one. I nabbed it from my brother who scored it at a swap meet. I think he thought it was a car alarm system.
NOW, hold on to your socks, I scored a complete Mileage Master system of Ebay for $127. I was shopping for one at Jegs that was $330. I checked Ebay just for the heck of it and BINGO.
Now instead of my goal being off idle to tire smoke it is maximum mileage. Around town the Ramcharger gets a nice fat 11 MPG. I hope to do better with the Jacobs system.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:26 AM

Default SAVE YOUR BUCKS

I wouldn't waste my money on either they don't help unless your running a million horse or the worlds largest spray system for street use I have had the million dollar ignition If you want it I'm sure they haven't buried it at the landfill site yet I run a wheel dynoed 580 horse on the ma mopar kit our 600 horse race car runs the mopar kit and so do all our other modified veihicles there is no advantage to MSD,JACOBS,CRANE or any other such electronics on a street car.

1939 DODGE COUPE 383 SUPERCHARGED
1981 DODGE CHALLENGER 340 2 STAGES NOS
1987 DODGE DAKOTA
1991 DODGE SPIRIT
Old 11-15-2002, 12:51 AM

So that's why most of us see an improvement when they are used?

Most street cars will see the major differences in the lower RPMs and in gas milage. Also, the MSD, Jacobs, and others don't burn out as easy as the MOPAR box does.

I will admit that currently I am just running an orange box, however my past experiences will have me upgrading to a quality ignition box, when I begin my restification.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:09 AM

Default why change

I can site lots of instaces my experience has all been bad with all new parts and friends have had the same my buddy bought all new MSD for his barton hemi powered cuda had a terrible stumble on launch went through carbs etc then pulled the MSD put on the mopar kit and all was well.my buddies 5.9 dak kept eating computers + had terrible performance problems even though he had done all the changes he was told off went the MSD on came the performance 6 tenths to 8 tenths to be exact 14.86 to 13.98 not bad and he has no more computer woes + his truck is faster.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:34 AM
Inactive User

Had a Jacobs unit on 440 Duster and the beauty of the system was the switch that turned the unit off and on, The Jacobs improved response and fuel efficiency. I recently installed a complete MSD system on the 340 car because the Mopar dist kept crapping out the pick-up in the dist would over heat and shut down (three each). No problems with the MSD yet need to get it dialed in. The Mopar ignition was great and an industry leaded back in 1971 when it was introduced but the progress made in electronics is awsome, the Mopar ignition compared to newer systems is like comparing fuel injection to carbs they both function but the new technology provides much greater flexibility and superior performance.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:39 AM
Inactive User

Well... I know that you can make a points system work well, too. I guess what I do is hang my hat (and money) on something most everybody says works well, and go from there. Long ago, I ran Kong ignitions on my flatheads, then Mallory, then Accel, now MSD. I have never had ignition related problems with any of the aftermarket stuff I've used. I have had some problems with MOPAR stuff. Obviously, some folks haven't.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:38 AM
Inactive User

Doug, you are a guy after my own heart-you said the magic word-Flathead. Got a question; I am building a little blown flathead for the street(244CI, Fenton heads, early GMC 4-53 blower, Isky cam, 1950 engine) I use MSD on our race engines, would like to use one with the Flathead, which one-5A or 6A? I want to use the stock distributor if possible-I think I can adapt a Vertex cap to it.

Your advice is appreciated!
Old 11-15-2002, 02:49 PM
Inactive User

WOW!! another closet Flathead lover!! I'd use the 6A, because that's the one I'm familiar with. 244 c.i. - is that 0.060 over?? My last flathead was a '53 Victoria with a 3/8 X 3/8 Merc in it. I think 306 c.i.?? Weiand heads and Edelbrock 3X2 intake w/94s and an Isky cam - Sanderson headers - Kong ignition.

It ran in the 19s, at about 120.... in the HALF mile drags at the Old Roseville (Sacramento) air strip.

I'd love to see pix of yours - you could email them to me - ThunderboltRanch@msn.com

Best of luck with it!!
Old 11-15-2002, 07:32 PM
Inactive User

It may be 4-5 months before it is back together. Right now it is disassembled in the process of bodywork/paint,etc. Work progresses depending on racing-we have only one more race(probably) before the end of season. Then I have some free time before the end of January(only have three engines to freshen before then).

It is a little 40PU. My son bought it about 15 years ago(when he was 12), we worked on it for about 4 years, boxed the frame, built dropped tube axle, added Mopar torsion bar rear, early Holt Quick Change, etc. Then came the age of 16, he discovered stock cars and girls(in that order), worked stopped on the PU. We are still racing, he's married and old dad still wants to get in on the street as a parts chaser(and show the youngsters how it used to be done).

Momma got upset when I moved the PU into the shop. She wanted her 40 sedan to be moved in instead . I am under strict instructions(from her) that as soon as the PU is done, I start on her car. What can I do????????-she controls all the money and sex!!!!!!!!