Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-25-1999, 10:31 PM
Inactive User

Question

I bought a TIRED (178k) 2.2L Turbo. The turbo doesn't work, but the car has NO power, and not from the turbo being In-op.
Do you think I should just rebuild the engine? It literally cannot get out of it's own way, and will barely climb the hill I live on.
Where can I get a catalog like Summit so that I can drool and get plans and info for my project that looks like I will be working on this winter?
Old 08-26-1999, 12:01 AM
Inactive User

You need to go to your nearest dodge dealership and get a mopar performance parts catalog!! should be about $5. As for the turbo I got a rebuild kit for mine out of jc whitney for $99 and it works great. You won't find any performance parts for a 2.2l in a summit, jegs, or paw catalog. the mopar performance catalog will have every thing you need. As far as ordering parts, don't do it through your dealer as they will charge you list price. I will send you a web address where you can get MP parts for 30% off list, and have them shipped to your door in a week!
Old 08-26-1999, 12:40 AM
Inactive User

I bet your timming belt is off one tooth also. but a dead turbo can make the 2.2 a poor driving car, all by itself
Old 08-26-1999, 12:41 AM
Inactive User

Also you need to get the 2.2 2.5 fwd speed secrets& modifications book from MP it has a lot of info part# p5249585
Old 08-27-1999, 03:02 AM
Inactive User

Red face

Thanks Garland. I knew about DC, but was wondering if there was any aftermarket companies, guess not.

Polkadot... this is more than just from the lack of turbo. A Geo Metro would put me to shame right now.

Jason D
Old 08-30-1999, 04:27 PM
Inactive User

I have no way of knowing from what you have posted. You would need to do things like check compression, timming, Look at the vaccume hose's to see if they are rooted correct, or bad.
For aftermarket parts I call Foward Motion 1 302 658 2829. they stock more 2.2 stuff then anybody.
Old 08-31-1999, 01:26 PM
Inactive User

Compression was 80-90 in all 4 cyl. What are they supposed to be? I was told since the wastegate wasn't connected it may have over boosted and blown the pistons. But the compression is pretty equal.
Timing is now set at 12. It runs a little better. They guy just had the head gasket done. I guess he could have screwed up the timing. But I think this guy would notice the difference when he got it back.
From what I can tell all the hoses are right and OK. I found some that were loose or cracked and repaired/replaced them... no improvement
Old 08-31-1999, 11:37 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

Compression should be between 130 to 150! Never below 100. Just checked mine yesterday and it was 145-148 in every cylinder. It might not be the pistons or rings though, You said that the head gasket was replaced. The cam timing could be way off if who ever replaced the gasket didn't have the pulleys in the proper position. One or two teeth off on the timing belt can KILL engine output.

Garland
Old 09-08-1999, 04:18 AM
Inactive User

A turbo car I acquired last year was approximately as lame as you described. It was an 86 Dayton Turbo Z the previous owner said needed a turbo. When I disassembled it, I discovered that the turbo shaft was broken, and the exhaust side impeller was laying over the only way out of the turbo. The net result was a little less than one square inch for the motor to breathe through. You may have a similar problem, but you won't know without tearing it apart.

Since the only real way to do this job is to remove the head, I would just get the required parts, and get started. I have a friend that is a parts manager at a Chrysler dealer, and when I did mine, I just had him get me what I need. (at cost + 10%). He was 100% correct in what he supplied. If you like, I can get the list from him. It includes things like the exhast mainfold to exhaust bolts (they always break), the EGR tube(they rust and break), etc.

Between that and the required disassembly, you will most certainly find your problem.

Good luck

Tom Lockwood
Old 09-08-1999, 04:11 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

EGR? HA HA HA HA
Mine looks like it was repaired with JB Weld and has a big worm gear hose clamp holding it on. Talk about a 'jerry' rigged deal.
Unless I can find a 79-86 Mustang V-8, I'm going to keep the LeBaron to work on. I have been spoiled and not worked on my own cars for a few years and needed a project to refresh my memory and skills. I'd rather have the Stang because I had a 69 with a 302 and learned alot working on it... and my blood runs Ford Blue! But $150 for the LeBaron, I had to grab it.
Thanks for the info. I'm learning/remembering alot.
Old 12-11-1999, 03:25 AM

go to http/home.earthlink.net/~jcs4lre/catalog/index.htm company is called LRE they have all sorts of fwd mopar stuff
Old 12-12-1999, 09:54 AM
Inactive User

First of all jcd302 change your****name,if furd blue runs in your veins,I wonder what ill effects that has on other parts of your body that depend on blood supply(this is a light hearted joking tone!)I have a 89 Turbo II Lebaron GTC conv. that eats mustwangs for snacks,it out accelerates,out handles,out brakes,and gets better mpg!!!My biased opinion is "BUILD THE DANG MOPAR" come on you've seen the Light!!or you wouldn't be on a MOPAR chat site(what would your furd friends say if they knew?),you just gotta start believing!!!All kidding aside,you need to check you cam timing first,its not that hard or time consuming,bring it up to tdc and pull the upper timing cover,3 bolts and see if the cam marks are even with the v/c surface of the head.Your cranking comp should 100-105 for this 8.1:1 motor(7.8:1 actual),with a blown turbo this car is like a diesel rabbit.Alot of turbos are so destroyed they cant be rebuilt,if so turbo city has the best complete price,make sure you replace the oil feed line and prime it b4 you start it!!!My Lebaron runs 14,7s,has a top speed of 148mph,has (13.75" rotors) 4w disc brakes,stops in nothing flat,16" wheels and tires,pulls .92 g's,and get this furdman,its all stock except for some minor engine modifications!!!!!Honestly you got a car with alot of potential,your turbo 1 motor can easily make 185 hp,its well worth the time and effort.when it all comes down to it any brand of car will run hard if you build it right(even fords),I just think Mopars have more right from the get go.Go to street warrior stories and read " FORD FIREBALL"....PRO...
Old 01-27-2000, 01:51 AM
Inactive User

Pro I'm interested, what kind of mods did you do to your car? I have a friend with an 89 CSX, and two others with shelby Daytonas, I'm also thinking of getting a little turbo car if I find a cheap one. Any info will help my friends and I.