Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-02-1999, 07:59 PM
Inactive User

Question

where can i get a turbo to slap onto a 1985 plymouth horizon (automatic)?
Old 11-03-1999, 11:59 PM
Moderate anarchist

I take it this isn't already a Turbo car. While you could just get a turbo exhaust manifold and turbo from any turbo Mopar and bolt it on then plumb it to the carb I think you won't be too happy with the results. Your best bet would be to swap in a turbo motor and computer system, complete, into your Horizon.
Old 11-04-1999, 06:28 AM
Inactive User

Or to save many a headache. Buy a Turbo car from the getgo and start from there. Not to say it can't be done, but it will certainly be a project. Good Luck either way!!
Old 11-05-1999, 01:52 AM
Inactive User

With what it would take to make your car a turbo and the money it would take I think you would be better off to just buy a turbo car. They had different everything in the block. If you still want to hop up and turbo your car, check out Mopar performance parts. They sell every thing that you will need. Start by rebuilding your engine with the right parts. Good luck
Old 11-05-1999, 04:22 AM
Inactive User

thanks guys, i probally should start modifying a different car!!
Old 11-25-1999, 09:24 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

If you do any work on a Chrysler turbo car make sure to put the vacuum line connectors back in the lines where they were from the factory. They are not just connectors, they are "orifices", and they function in the same manner as jets for a carburetor. They are critical to the operation of the turbo and all of the sensors which regulate it!!!!
They do come in different sizes and can be purchased at your friendly Chrysler dealer for about $3.00 each.
Old 11-29-1999, 02:46 PM
Inactive User

The turbo engine is structurally different from the normally aspirated engine - different compression ratio, cam, etc. The normally-aspirated engine has too high a compression ratio to just bolt on the turbo.

Used to have an 87 Lancer turbo... ran really strong, especially after replacing a partially blocked catalytic converter.
Old 12-04-1999, 10:30 AM
Inactive User

Can pressure from a blocked Cat Conv. knock out the Head gasket? Just curious. I already replaced the head gasket and got rid of the inners to the Cat and the car runs good.
Old 12-06-1999, 02:38 PM
Inactive User

I've never heard anyone attribute a blown head gasket to a blocked or partially blocked catalytic converter, but now that you mention it, I did replace two head gaskets on my 87. The first was at about 70K, by the dealer under 7/70 warranty, and the second was at around 110K, in my garage.

At one point, my catalytic converter was so blocked that, upon hard acceleration, exhaust was forcing its way past the donut where the exhaust system bolts to the exhaust manifold.

Old 12-07-1999, 12:48 AM
Inactive User

I don't have any hard facts, but I believe a blocked converter can blow a head gasket. I had the converter on my "84" Charger 2.2 break apart and plug up the exhaust. It was so bad I couldn't use 5th gear to get home. The second day after fixing the converter the head gasket blew. I think the pluged up exhaust did in the head gasket. At least that's what I believe.
Old 12-07-1999, 06:06 PM
Inactive User

I had an 83 omni 2.2. When the converter plugged in it the exhaust used the air tube as an exit. It blew the check valve and caught the diverter valve on fire, but no head gasket trouble.
Old 01-28-2000, 01:57 AM
Inactive User

I have an 89 Daytona Shelby that is currently awaiting the 302 stainless 3" Mandrelbent exhaust from FM. The reason for this purchase (other than an extreemly nice wife) is the fact that my cat that I purchased From P*P B*YS less than a year ago is so clogged up that it blows the exhaust out from around the doughnut. I hope to do the work this weekend, along with bigger injectors. I just pray that no head gasket trouble follows!