Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-28-2000, 05:34 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy

The Tranny on my 1996 Intrepid 3.5l (86,000miles) has been giving me oh
so many headaches.

Read On......;-)

Enroute from VA to IL crossing the mountains I began experiencing a problem with the transmission. When the car was in Over-Drive and went to downshift to climb up a mountain it would downshift then balk, hesitate, and not gain speed. When I FINALLY arrived in IL I had the car checked out by a Chrysler Srvc Centr. He said the only error code he found on the Tranny was a "Failure to Prime" error code. He said that doesn't sound like an error that would cause the problem you are
experiencing but that is what we have. He said that error means that you must replace the Front Pump and Torque Converter. That was done. $800 dollars later. The saga continues. That problem has been eliminated. I am cured, so I thought. The second I drove it off the lot I started experiencing violent "bump stops" (Car slams back into
first gear when approaching a stop sign/stop light). I talked with the tech over the phone and he said not to worry that is normal and won't last long, that is the computer re-learning how to shift smoothly. Ok,
I bought into this hook-line-and sinker. That night my battery died. No biggie, it was the factory battery. It was in freezing weather, so be it. It was replaced. The problem with the bump stops continued. I
talked with the dealer. I had to leave town in 2 days to come back home to Va and they couldn't work me in. I went across the street to another dealer. They scanned the tranny for codes and found a new one. It was a "Tranny temperature sensor error" he said the tranny was registering -2 degrees after the tranny was hot. That can't be right. He said that error may possibly be a stray from the first dealer not clearing the Tranny computer properly or it could be from when the battery was replaced it picked up an old code or something. I bought this again, ok
im stupid. I admit it. So he RE-CLEARED the TCM (Transmission Control Module) and sent me on my "Bump Stopping" way. He said, if THIS doesn't elimanate the bump-stops and you get another error, its off to New-Tranny Land.....I can hand le that too. Not the worst thing in the world. Now that the car is out of IL and back in VA where the weather
is above freezing (barely) the bump stops are rare and few and far between although with CONSTANT braking power I can feel the car lunge noticeably when I come to a complete stop. (it wasn't noticeable before all this tranny work it used to be a nice tranny) It does noticeably bump stop in my drive way (which is slightly up hill). HELP! I need to
know what to do! This is driving me bonkers!

I walked into one dealer with a tranny that wouldn't accelerate out of overdrive but stopped and shifted to first smoothly, to one that doesn't have problems at higher speeds but is a bump stop nightmare. What should I do? Any Suggestions?

Vehicle Maint History: Fluid & Filter (tranny) changed every 20,000 with proper Chrysler fluid. (I am aware of the problems if using the incorrect fluid)

Ideas? Comments (nice ones)? HELP ME!

P.S. Ok, its a long message, but for good advice you gotta tell the whole story. Having the tranny replaced isn't THAT big of a deal. The Government will prob help pay for it. I am a Paramedic and Emergency Medical Supervisor and a FEMA member and was in IL on "official" business because of the Y2K thing. Boy was that a big nothing. ;-)
Thanks in advance!

Old 01-29-2000, 01:22 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

I can tell you with out a doubt, that the trans needs resealed. The dumd*** dealer should of known this! The internal seals are leaking (there hard)& causeing this. It's a common problem. There are upgraded seals to replace them. If its done soon, you might not need a complete overhaul, just a reseal. As a dealer tech, I've done a bunch of these (job security!)- thats why I can tell by your description. Hope this helps

One other thing, IF you bought this car NEW call Chrysler & ask for assistance on the repair - they might help you.
Old 01-29-2000, 01:39 AM
Drag Racer

Hi
If your car is a 96 it should already have the newest style seals in there already. But I can't see for the life of me why anyone(mechanic/dealer) would take your trans out to replace the pump(I've seen this bulletin it's real) and NOT replace all the seals anyway ecspecially with that mileage. If this car was acting up in cold weather are you sure the fluid was not a little low and was suckin some air into the filter?(just a guess). I would say if you don't mind the problem now your in warm weather then drive it and don't worry about it. On the other hand if you can get help on the repair then go for it.
Old 01-29-2000, 02:22 AM

THE LOW/REV OUTER PISTON SEAL IS WORN FLAT, A COMMON PROBLEM ON 95 & 96 604 &606 TRANS. PLAIN & SIMPLE WHOEVER TOOK IT OUT SCHOULD HAVE OVERHAULED IT. I PERSONALLY WOULD HAVE REBUILT IT .
97 WAS THE FIRST YEAR FOR THE REVISED D SEAL YOU STILL HAVE THE OLD STYLE D SEAL WHICH WEARS FLAT CAUSING THE SEAL TO LEAK. you will also have delayed engagement in the morning on cold days below 30. you can have a dealer flash your tcm to the new software this might help good luck.

[This message has been edited by MoparNet (edited January 28, 2000).]