Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-01-1999, 07:12 PM
Inactive User

Question

Anyone know how this thing accomplishes spark advance? I just replaced the Hall Effect sensor, had the whole distributer out, marvelled at how simple this whole thing is. Afterwards I couldn't help wondering how it advances spark. The rotor sits on a fixed shaft. It must play with the timing of the electric juice from the coil, (as near as I can figure). If this is what it does, then it fires spark from rotor to cap at times other than when rotor and teminal are lined up properly. Appreciate any info.

Brian
Old 12-12-1999, 07:40 AM
Inactive User

Well, I think it is all controled by the computer, it reads the TPS sencor, and eithier or the cam and crank position sencors, it then adjusts the spark accordingly.
Old 12-12-1999, 08:05 AM
Inactive User

Yeah duster is right its a pre-programmed curve in the computer,its based on coolant and air temp,tps pos.,gear,o2,manifold vac,etc....PRO...
Old 12-15-1999, 06:31 PM
Inactive User

Yep and they sure do like to confuse us on whats going on with my engine. Had a Horizon that would just plain DIE whenever it felt like it.
Old 12-15-1999, 07:54 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

My truck would also die, or not start. The Hall Effect piece seems to be the crank sensor. There is a plastic plate with a magnet in it, and 2 wires leading to the harness. Under this plate is a brass crown with 8 points, when a point of the crown passes in front of the magnet, it creates a pulse for the computer to read. When the magnet gets old, the pulse is too small to be read by the comp, and the ignition will not fire. The comp doesn't power the spark till the engine is turning over. It's pretty neat, but not neat enough in the advance department for my liking. I had some wild, off the wall ideas for improvement, but I may not bother.

Like all Mopars, it's all right, but like all Mopar Enthusiasts, it's not all right enough for me! The kids must play you know!

Thanks for the replys. Brian