Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-12-2002, 08:01 PM
Inactive User

Default glass assisted flowmasters

Ok simple question...
the patient is a 69 barracuda 440, auto, daily driven toy.
The exhaust is pretty basic,(no leaks or holes) schumaker creative services headers (I will not wrap them-they are chromed), followed by dual 2-1/2 out to the rear bumper 3 chamber flowmasters in the middle. The problem is after 2 years with the exhaust the drone at cruise is starting to bug me on the 70 mph interstate.

Now for the real question~ can I put shorty glass packs (in addition to the current setup) where the stock resonators would go (on each side of the gas tank) WITHOUT noticably losing flow/power.

I love the sound of the flowmasters so, changing those is not a favorable option, nor is spending $250 on reproduction resonators(shouldnt help anyway).
Old 11-12-2002, 09:34 PM

Put in an OD unit. This should drop your RPMs a bit and the drone should sound better. It'll also give you better gas mileage.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:49 PM
Inactive User

Great idea, buuuuut...
too many dollars~low buck solutions rule.
besides, I have a 4 speed thats going in there next time the motors out (Winter). should drop the rpm from 3400 to around 2400 at 70.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:14 PM
Inactive User

Well heres two solutions that i know work.... one is a balance pipe. (find out how to put it in first) the exhaust guys mark the pipes from the headers back (say like two feet or to the mufflers) with wax crayon, take it for a good quick cruiz and see where the wax is left... thats about where you want the balance tube. The other is not to put the mufflers in the exact same spot in the pipes.... if you stager them abit it changes the exhaust note and takes out the drone

Hope that helps or gives ya some ideas...
Old 11-13-2002, 01:27 AM

After the latest issue of MOPAR muscle, I'm sold on the X pipes.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:33 AM
Inactive User

I agree, Ed. I haven't read the Mopar Muscle article, but I have seen nothing but good reports about the scavenging effect of the x-pipe. Wonder how hard it would be to work one in under an RB A-body?.....
Old 11-13-2002, 01:36 AM
Inactive User

hey i thought mopar muscle was no more!the only mag i can find around here is the always excellent mopar action ant the mopar collectors guide!guess i havent been looking hard enough
Old 11-13-2002, 01:39 AM

imports have a glass pack usually right behind the head pipe feeding it back to a muffler right before the bumper. Im going to do the same on my BB. Im gonna run a big head pipe to an X then G-packs then a muff somewhere under the back seat, or get creative and run the muff vertically flanking the tank with an 18 inch tip....maybe a FOLGERS can?
Old 11-13-2002, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by brent vendsel
hey i thought mopar muscle was no more!the only mag i can find around here is the always excellent mopar action ant the mopar collectors guide!guess i havent been looking hard enough
Primedia killed off the High Performance MOPAR magazine. When they did that, all of us that had subsriptions were moved over to MOPAR MUSCLE.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:28 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, I have been toying with using glasspacks as resonators, (they sure aren't mufflers in my opinion), but make sure they have a perforated core, not the louvered core, as the louvers effectively reduce the size of the tube, causing a heinous restriction.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:59 PM

Use the dynomax bullet race muffler in conjuction with your flomasters. They're cheap and have to flow better than the crappy old glass pack. I was thinking about doing the same thing, but due to my ladder bars... I'll probably have to dump my exhaust in front of the rear tires (doesn't leave much room for a second muffler. I've run H-pipes in the past and they really quiet down the car too.

Good luck,

Greg
Old 11-13-2002, 04:09 PM
Inactive User

so the general concensus so far is an H pipe would be better at lowering the volume than adding glasspacks-
also increasing overall performance. Best yet about 1/8th of the cost.
not sold on the idea of the x pipe...I like the numbers in the mags, but Im pressed for space as it is.

Thanks for the ideas ya'll...glad to hear any more good ones...
Old 11-13-2002, 06:18 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by gsmopar
Use the dynomax bullet race muffler in conjuction with your flomasters. They're cheap and have to flow better than the crappy old glass pack.
how so? you can see right through a glass pack! how can that not flow well?
Old 11-13-2002, 07:49 PM
Inactive User

heres what i would do. use the x pipe its quiter then the old H pipe and will make more power.if that doesnt do it get your self a set of new flowmaster delta flow. they have a little deeper tone and alot less drone then the old FM design. I dont think you have room between the gas tank to get the glass packs in there.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:13 PM

72Runner,

The old school glass pack is very turbulant and will flow less air than most turbo mufflers. Yes, you can see through them, but they don't run that well. When my car was a daily driver, I switched from glass packs to flow masters on a 2.5 inch dual system with a H-pipe. The engine gained 600rpm more on the big end and dropped my ET by over .2 in the 1/4... and that was on a stock engine!

Later,

Greg
Old 11-13-2002, 10:27 PM
Inactive User

hmm... thats odd. on my brothers 440 (.030 over, 10:1 cr, mild cam - range 3 -- don't know exact numbers, stock crank, rods, 3 angle valve job, stock springs, holley 650DP on dual plane intake - m1 i think, i dunno) we went from 3 chamber flow masters with H pipe, to dual exhaust with glass packs and NO crossover pipe and it felt much stronger, sounded better, and roasts the tires with ease. it didn't before. course, we did put headers on at the same time, but still...we love glass packs.

course, as soon as mine rust out (been on the car for more than 7 years) or fall off again (pipes are rusting where the pack and pipe meets and i have other cracks/patches behind the packs) i told dad we're going to strait-pipe it . with my new converter and rebuilt tranny, it shifts into drive regularly now, instead of waiting till 3,000 rpm minimum. plus, i can set my idle much lower now.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:21 AM

How about Home Boys "Power Sticks" on Moparts? They are louvered packs with a home made case and the green brick ran them? The only packs I ever ran were the truck kind with the collector flange welded to the end. and that is all the exhaust I ran. It was loud but it sure purred on the freeway. Didnt Idle too well with a rumpy cam though.