Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-31-2000, 07:53 PM
Inactive User

Question

I put a 87' 2.2l in a omni that came with a 1.7 volkswagon in it.I can't get the alternator to charge because i'm unsure of the grounding for it?Help
Old 02-01-2000, 12:20 AM
Drag Racer

I put a 87' 2.2l in a omni that came with a 1.7 volkswagon in it.I can't get the alternator to charge because i'm unsure of the grounding for it?Help...............

The alt housing is grounded to the battery through the wiring. There are 2 field wires both green they are the same color because they can be installed in either field position. Switched power to one and the other to a variable ground at the Voltage regulator.
Which wire are you after?
Old 02-01-2000, 07:15 PM
Inactive User

Question

Thanks Dean for replying.I understand about the field wires but i'm unsure if the ground wire that is in the wiring harness is the one that has the small black 90 degree angled plug on the end and i beleive the wire is black with a red stripe.What i guess i really want to know is on the 87 omni it also had a ground strap from the block to the alternator housing post but on the volks engine it was on the front of the housing near the pulley.Does it matter where it goes ?As it stands right now I have the neg from the battery to the bellhousing and I have the block grounded to the body which was needed for the engine to turn over.Sorry for the long reply. Thanks
Old 02-02-2000, 12:48 AM
Drag Racer

Been a while since I've seen one of those the last 1.7 omni(VW) I've seen was an 83 you must have a peugot 1.6. So long as it is a ground wire you'll need to ground the alt housing to the block/head or Battery.
Old 02-02-2000, 07:15 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the help Dean..It is definetly a volkswagon cause it stamped on the block and the car is a 1979 which was the first or second year for them with the 1.7litre .Thanks again