Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-13-2002, 01:19 PM
Inactive User

Default turbo V8 need help

Hey this is a pretty vauge question but here goes. i am planning to build a twin turbo 318 or 340 (if i can get my hands on one). i am deeply comited to building this motor but i lack much knowlage about what it will take to make this a relaibe street worthy turbo engine. If anyone knows about a article or book that tells of things like what cam speck work best for a turbo, compretion ratio, prep work for building the motor, intake manifold lengths, characteristics of certian turbos with a given amount of exhaust volume and so on and so on. I have experience with building NA engine but this would be my first forced enduction. Thank you for all your help.
Robert Attard
colonelkurts@hotmail.com
Old 11-13-2002, 05:33 PM
Inactive User

try to locate dewme5 on this board. he is a turbo god.
mike
Old 11-13-2002, 06:33 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin Yeah, he is

He will help you not to crack your block in 2 like he did.

I am dying to build a turbo project myself but I am getting engaged at the end of this month. I just shelled out some big bux for a ring. OUCH!
Old 11-13-2002, 06:45 PM
Inactive User

Twin turbo 340 for almost 15 years now on the same engine. It can be done, but you need to pay a huge amount of attention to detail and make sure you totally understand why and how things need to be done. Start with the books Turbochargers by Hugh Macinnis which is extremely good on the science and tech, but dated on equipment. You can also get Maxumum boost by Corky Bell, which is easier to understand, not as technically correct, full of Corky's biases, but still lots of good info. If anyone tells you it is "easy" and "all you have to do is", run from them as fast as you can.

Old 11-15-2002, 03:39 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for all your help guys. Im going to be doing a lot of reasurch for now because the project wont be getting underway for another year and a half until i can finish trade school (gettting my A&P certificate) Expect to see the finished product here in about 2 years a 6spd twin turbo 74 duster should be one of a kind. Again thanks for all the help
Robert Attard
Old 11-15-2002, 04:26 PM

Default Carbs and Turbos?

turbododge...

Is your engine F.I. or carb? I am very interested in the possibilities of a carb-based turbo engine. I know there are some very serious problems with that idea, including running into individually lean cylinders, etc., and I have all but done away with the idea of a 2x turbo 360 engine, but the thought is still there, kinda...

But I think I'll be supercharging it...

And its not that I don't want to do the work of swapping over to F.I., but I have a kinda philisophical problem with a 70 cuda with F.I. Its MY problem, not a religious belief in the moral absolutes of muscle cars and carbs, if you know what I mean...

But I'm still curious...

Dave
Old 11-15-2002, 05:14 PM
Inactive User

It has been pretty much all kinds of induction, 4 years as a blow through carb, 8 years on an Accel DFI fuel injection, and now with a Speedpro wide band O2 EFI.

You can do it with a carb, but as you said, there are some inherent problems, that get worse as you increase boost levels. I got it to run good, not perfect, at 12 psi with a carb, but to me it is not worth the trouble with the availability of EFI systems now.

I hear you on the philosophical reasons, but with the 5 speed, turbos, intercooler, Corvette seats, etc, I figure I have already killed any nostalgic ideals. Besides, old Vettes were injected!
Old 11-17-2002, 12:56 PM
Inactive User

Very nice TurboDodge

Wow nice to see a well put together twin setup. What is it in? I just completed a 73 Challenger 340 single turbo. 625hp still playing with the tuning 700 with in reach. Id like to hear more about your set up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00848 2.jpg (43.7 KB, 49 views)
Old 11-17-2002, 06:03 PM
Inactive User

It is in a 70 Challenger, 5 speed,2.76 geared, streeter. We drove it 800 miles (one day) each way to the Nats this year, it was a great trip.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:31 AM
Inactive User

Turbododge, what size turbos are you running? And do you ahve any more pics of your engine bay? Also what 5 speed tranny are you running?

Not sure if I want to go 727, 4 speed, or that 3 grand 5 speed. I have decided to use the holley efi 950 MPI setup. With a 360 magnum, I can get an EFI manifold design for the 1000 cfm throttle body. Now the fun part is saving money for pistons and rods.....Its not my fault I like to spend money on the R/T neon.

Ryan
Old 11-18-2002, 09:34 AM
Inactive User

The turbos are TO4's, S3 trim, O,.69 turbine. The trans is a Richmond 5 speed. I would not recommend a manual trans if you want to do any drag racing, turbo cars are very hard to launch. One thing to keep in mind is that you may not want to go with such a large throttle body. I had a 1000cfm on mine for a while, and found that the throttle got awfully touchy, with very small movements giving large power changes, plus the TPS did not see enough movement to give good response. Here is a link to some pics that were taken a few years ago. The turbo inlets are changed since then, as well a the wastegates, and fan.

http://www.novicius.com/moparltd/turbododge/
Old 11-18-2002, 11:43 PM
Inactive User

Well throttle body comes with the kit. Its a 4 barrel style. I could always jsut stick with the stock/bored magnum TB and opt not to get the 1000cfm one. Might save me some cash.

Ryan