Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-13-2002, 10:43 PM
Inactive User

Help New and don't know what to do.

I have a 440 and I am tricking it out to race about once a month but be my street car other than that. I was wondering if anyone had a distributor recomendation. I am cofussed on which one to purchase. The engine will be sitting in a 73 Dodge Charger with an 8 3/4 rear end and a 727 transmission. Thanks for the advice.

Chris
Old 11-14-2002, 12:55 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Your stock unit will do just fine. You may want to add some light weight sprngs in it at best.
For a 1 a month racer, it'll be more than up to task.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:53 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: New and don't know what to do.

Quote:
Originally posted by BB Charger
I have a 440 and I am tricking it out to race about once a month but be my street car other than that. I was wondering if anyone had a distributor recomendation. I am cofussed on which one to purchase. The engine will be sitting in a 73 Dodge Charger with an 8 3/4 rear end and a 727 transmission. Thanks for the advice. Chris
Hey Chris
As Rumble fish said stay with the orig .
There are better ways to spend your $$ and get more bang for the buck.
I to have a 73 .
Is yours an SE too?
Old 11-14-2002, 11:43 AM
Inactive User

Default Charger

as a reply to your question Dirty Dan , no. my charger is a 73 ralley, not an SE like yours. Thanks for asking. But, what if i had a few extra bucks on the side and wanted a little more of a high performance distributor, then what type would anyone recomend? Thanks for the advice again.

Chris
Old 11-14-2002, 12:48 PM
Inactive User

If the original distributor is in good shape you can't do much better. A good upgrade would be the MOPAR Performance Chrome ECU ($54.95 from Mancini Racing). On our race only car we run a stock distributor with the light springs and it performs great at 7800 RPM. Good LUCK!
Old 11-14-2002, 06:45 PM
Inactive User

Default Distributor update

I supose you could get a magneto but I dont see why .
All I have ever used is the factory peice.
And never been disapointed.
As rumble fish said earlier you could experament whith lighter springs to optimiz your performance.
I have always just left them alone .

Have you any pictures of your rally?
If so. How about sending me some.
I would like to see the what the differance is between the rally and the se.
Send to

Wrecker56@etinternet.net

Thanks
Old 11-14-2002, 07:48 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

You can spend a extra $200 on a MSD Billet piece and make no mre power. I would recurve your old one,swap in light springs and buy a MSD 6AL box with the extra cash. Now you can have a revlimiter at the track and on the street. Plug fouling will be a thing of the past. Its nice to stomp the pedal twice and hit the key on a cold winter night, because you have a great ignition to go with one of the best factory distributors ever made.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:57 PM
Inactive User

Post Thanks but now I need some more advice

I am not sure where my original distributor is so I was wondering if anyone knew off the top of their heads. I was also wondering what type of springs. If anyone can give me the exacts on any of these, i would greatly appreciate it. I have concluded that i will end up staying with the original but am going to purchase a NOS one from the replys I got. Thanks for the third time.

Chris
Old 11-19-2002, 05:02 AM
Banned

Sorry Guy's but I'm going to disagree with you here....

That stock distributor needs help, I'll guarrantee you that it out of phase and the only way to set it correctly is on a distributor machine and dial it right in.

We chuck the vac advance unit and use all weights to bring it in at the right time.

Once we go over these stock units and do our hocus pocus they work real well.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:37 AM
Inactive User

I bought an Accell BillitProof Distribitor. It is a magnetic pickup unit, with built in electronic amplifier. It has an adjustable mechanical and vacuum advance and heavy duty bearings, etc.

This is one of the few aftermarket distribitors that has vacuum advance. The "adjustable" advance looks simular to the Mallory Uni-lite where you still have to partly dis-assemble the distribitor to re-curve it.

I think it was about $220 from Summit Racing.

So far it seems to work fine, I just used it to replace my points distribitor, and I haven't driven the car many miles since I installed it.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:15 AM

I never used a MP electronic one before (had the old single points in mines) but I am really happy with my MSD. I use a digital 6 box and a master blaster coil and i cranks right up every time. It has a lot of different combinations that you can play with to get it curved correctly too. The only bad side is if your gonna use it on a low deck block you will have to have the adapter machined(I use the rb unit on a b block)

George
Old 11-20-2002, 10:19 AM
Inactive User

Default Hey cuda!!

Quote:
Originally posted by cuda66273

That stock distributor needs help, I'll guarrantee you that it out of phase and the only way to set it correctly is on a distributor machine and dial it right in.

We chuck the vac advance unit and use all weights to bring it in at the right time.

All right cuda 66
Give up the details.
In quireing minds want to know.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:14 AM
Inactive User

Re: New and don't know what to do.

hey man,i put a m/p electronic dist. kit in my challenger with an orange box and it worked fine.go for the chrome box(ecu)if you are gonna get wild with big cam etc.you can't beat ol' mother when it comes to engineering.it will also probably be more user friendly(not need as much tweaking)as an after market job.also the mallory 6al is a good coil too!mopar to ya!
Old 11-20-2002, 11:41 AM
Inactive User

Cuda666sadjfh is right, if you want to race all the time,but wrong for the street. The purpose of the vacuum advance is to smooth out the pulses and help clean the plugs while cruising. This is real important for street use, both for gas mileage and driveability.

The vacuum advance will NOT affect performance at all.

cuda just doesn't know how to drive that slow...
Old 11-20-2002, 08:29 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Quote:
Originally posted by cuda66273

I would agree also. I never understood why Mopar put so much mechanical advance in those thing. Most of the time i find ditching the Vacum all togather too. Its not uncommen to find as much as 25-30 deg mechanical advance built in. This is ok in your Grandma's stock Grocery haller that has 4 deg initial advance. But most hot cams like 12-16 deg initial timing with another 20 or so by means of mechanical or vacum which ever the case is! Set your stock distributor to 12-16 deg initail and BANG! PING PING .........about 45-50 total!
Old 11-20-2002, 09:12 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

I also do not agree with cuda66273. For the street, it's fine. Raceing more than once a week or lets say really trying to get down the quarter and down to serious bizness, an aftermarket unit should be looked at. An MSD, Accel or Mallory is worth looking into.
The stock unit is fine for most of us here in our street machines.
However, the aftermarket will up the anti (sp) on better timing.
When you get down to biz, everything matters no matter how small it is.
I believe such is not the case for BB Charger @ once a month or so @ the track.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:18 AM
Inactive User

Question Dist. question?

I disagree with you Cuda66273. For the street driving that he will be doing, the need for smoother driving AND gas mileage improvement with the vacume advance (again, set up properly) far out weighs the idea of just setting up for max power.This is mainly a street peice and must be treated as such if you are to be happy with it. If this is just a weekend car and race once a month, then maybe, but not for a street driver. Mother spent a lot of money makeing sure the cars ran their best on the street and were streetable without ill manners and constant tuning. A race peice gets much more attention than a street car and thus each driver must make decisions based on what he is wanting to do. If he decides to go without the vacume he needs to know that it will be a little more finicky than with it. I feel like I'm rattleing on as I usually don't talk this much.

Again: Just thinking out loud.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:31 AM
Banned

We build 3 different distributors:

Stage 1 ...basic stock replacement, we use a vacuum advance unit but we dial it to work correctly with the weights and correct the timing events to get maximum drivabilty on very mild street motors from stock to slight performance enhancments.

Stage 2...is our street strip conversion which does not use a vacuum unit, it's dialed to your cam and carb combination. We build this one for engines with 225 to 245 duration @ 50 cams that will see the street on saturday nights, short cruises and weekend strip duty.

Stage 3 is our all out race distributor, We use a MP distributor or we'll take your Mallory, MSD or whatever and dial it exactly where you need it....30 initial all in at 2000 to max of 50 if you want, lock it in at whatever you'd like.

Every distributor is overhauled top to bottom, all specs are recorded and they carry a 1 year parts and labor warranty exept for the cap and rotor.

If you guy's had a distributor machine and ever saw how the MP orange or chrome boxes perform you'd never buy another one.

The last orange box I can remember checking pulled 8* of advance out of the motor at 5500 RPM and started boucing 3 to 5* at 3200 and up, at 6100 it was unreadable. This was a new box and not anything special...they're all about the same, we don't even bother trying to dial them anymore.

You can't just say..."My distributor works fine" without looking at it on a good distributor machine. It would be like setting your lifters at say .018 like it shows on the cam card...car runs great!...then I come along and reset them at .013 and slice .02 off your 60' time or open them to .023 and give you another 3 MPH at the top end.

....and your right...I know two throttle positions...wide open and waiting to go wide open

UPDATE: The shop is coming along.....slower than we had hoped but it's coming, we'll be open for parts sales on Monday, most B/O's will be shipped by weds.

The flow bench is now operating and we're porting and flowing heads.

The 220v 3 phase equipment will be running by the end of the month...we hope.

The carb shop will be ready to go by next weds., waiting for the Cleaning Tank certification.

The Dyno should be up and running by the end of January.

Distributor equipment will be moved over to the new shop in about 2 weeks.

Computors went in last night and the DSL should be installed in 2 weeks.

Goodridge, Deist, Childs & Albert, Diamond, Moroso, Canton, Milodon, Felpro, King Bearings, RollMaster, MT tires, REV valves, Fowler Rods, Oliver and Barry Grant stock orders are in and waiting for storage racks to be assembled and inventory put away.

Phones on Monday! 1-TOO-TOO-QUIK

The fridge is plugged in and stocked with Pepsi.

I'll try and post some new pics this weekend.

This is a huge project and thanks to everyone for your encouragement and support. Those of you who have orders with us...thanks for your patience and when you get your stuff be sure and blow the sawdust off it.

Don
Old 11-21-2002, 10:15 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Wow! Sounds very nice. I like it. Right now, this is the most important part.
Quote:
The fridge is plugged in and stocked with Pepsi.

Alllllways need something cool to slide down the pipe.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:40 AM
Banned

....and to mix with that brown liquor....

Of course it's for medicinal purposes only...to ease the pain of my smashed communications finger...got my foot wedged between a couple of pieces of equipment and hit the ground hard and blew the first knuckle joint right out of the socket about 45*...pulled it out and snapped it back togther immediatly...now it's a nice fade of 73 Panther Pink to 70 Duster Purple mixed tastefully with a little basic black and the size of a top fuel connecting rod.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:16 PM
Inactive User

Ow! good thing you got it back in before the swelling though. When you get this place running you should do charter tours for us bored winterbound canucks. $50.00 a head, you could make a mint. Free pepsi and barbeque of course.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:05 AM
Banned

Sure! we'll even take your Canadian Money...LOL

Wenesday is "Weinie Wenesday" free hot dogs and Pepsi...shops open until 8 PM.