Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-14-2002, 01:10 AM
Inactive User

Default Edelbrock- 318 Problems

Hi All! Just bought an 85 Fifth Ave that I am enjoying greatly allready. Having a couple of problems tho. Before I got the car, it had been converted to an MSD 6A ignition with blaster 2 and Mallory Unilite Mechanical advance distributor, Edelbrock 1406 and Performer intake. Has elcheapo looking chrome valve covers with an plug-in type Edelbrock breather, and a non-stock PCV valve (the stock one falls right thru the hole in the grommet), that seems to be sitting kinda losely in the hole. Aside from a rebuild to stock specs about 20000 miles ago, it has no other engine work. Still running stock gearing and stock tranny.
Now heres where I am having problems. I swapped the distributor to a stock Chrysler Vac advance one gave it a good tune up and have been playing with it since. One weird thing that it does is that when accelerating, but not driving at a constant speed, you can smell gas in the car. Not over powering, but a noticeable scent. Gas mileage also isn't quite all it might be. On a gentle highway run to and from work, at about an average of 60 mph, I am getting approx 17 mpg. Am aiming for 20. Also, one can smell gas in the oil (Mobil One). Never a good thing.
One person told me I needed a better breather (it has the Edelbrock chrome kind). Anyone have any thoughts? THis is a car I am hoping to keep for a very long time, but for now, it needs to do duty as a daily driver too. Thanks! Erik
Old 11-14-2002, 01:28 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Your not leaking any gas are you? Check for craked lines or at least dry rotted ones.
The distrib swap might have cost you a MPG or 2 because he could have taken the time to dial it in.
Also, if it ran good with that distrib and poorer with the MoPar unit, a switch back may be in order. The MoPar unit may not be up to task the way the Mallory was. The little things that you never give a second thought to may contribute to the problems.
17 MPG isn't to bad. Try and open air cleaner on top of a small 4bbl. (U didnt say what you had) Jet lean , duel exhaust with an "H" pipe and twin cats if there needed just after the "H" pipe.
Headers are a great help in the more mile per gallon help.
I have gotten 20 MPG's from a 360 in a '79 Magnum.
No headers on that ride.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:35 AM
Inactive User

Hi Rumblefish.
It is actually running MUCH better with the new distibutor. Before he said he was frequently getting 9-10 mpg. No power. It was all set up wrong. Right now it does have a small 4 barrel (edelbrock 1406), that I got with the car, but the vacuum advance distributor really made things run a lot better. I basically stole the car from him because he got fed up with it not running right. I am MUCH closer allready, but still need that last little bit.
Oh, and there does not appear to be a fuel line leak!
Thanks
Erik
Old 11-14-2002, 01:54 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Then your probably running a tad rich on the power step of the rod and/or secondays.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:23 PM
Inactive User

17 MPG....I was lucky to get 15 to 16 with a TBI injected SB chevy. I would think that pretty good for a 4-barrel carb. Fine tuning the carb might get you a little better, and disconnecting the secondaries too!
Old 11-14-2002, 01:32 PM
Inactive User

Gas in the oil could be the fuel pump going/gone bad.

Billy