Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-14-2002, 11:20 AM
Inactive User

Default No Performance Motor

I know this is a high performance forum but I have a problem with a low performance 318. You guys have helped much in the past and I hope you can again. While changing a freeze out plug on a 1987 Chrysler 5th ave, I hit the back of the alternator with a ratchet and damn near welded the thing on. I learn the hard way every time. The car will not start now. Everything seems normal till you engage the starter. It clicks once and all power dies. I changed the starter, relay & volt reg. Checked all wires for continuity. It's driving me crazy. What else could have fried? Could it be the spark control computer? This is why I drive classics! Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-14-2002, 01:04 PM

Check the battery, as it may have been weak to begin with and you may have fried it. Clean the battery terminals really well. Inspect the fusible link, as it may have begun to melt. Clean all of the contacts realy well (battery cable & terminal lugs on the starter relay), as this kind of a short could cause high resistance on the contacts.

What happens if you turn the key to 'ON' and then put a screwdriver across the two big leads on the starter relay?
Old 11-14-2002, 03:41 PM
Inactive User

Which fuse link are you talking about? The one from the starter to the battery (small wire). It makes noise on the continuity gauge. Also the 2 wires from the alternator to the voltage reg. read ok. I havn't tried to jump the relay yet. I shot enough sparks this week. I'll try a battery and some more cleaning. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:56 PM

Just because the continuity checker beeps, doesn't mean that you have good continuity. The continuity checker is only concerned about low resistance with low voltage/amperage. It's possible that you have corroded/potted connections that aren't allowing enough current to pass.

Jumping the starter relay should produce very minor sparks, as you aren't shorting the battery cable to ground, but to the starter solenoid.