Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-28-2000, 06:53 AM
Inactive User

Question

Hey everyone!! Sorry for the longer post!! Let me give you some background first! I have a 1990 Daytona 2.5l that I recently replaced the motor in (800km's ago!) It's still burning oil - is this still considered normal? Every once and a while, there is a big cloud of oil smoke behind the car, but it's really random as to when it happens. I checked the plugs, no oil on them anywhere, and they appear to be burning clean, the only thing I see on them, is around the end of the threads, there is a little bit of carbon(?) buildup. I haven't done much highway driving with it yet (maybe 150km's) Do I just need to be patient with it? Or bring it back to the mechanic and tell him to fix it right this time?!!

Thanks for all your help!!
Al
Old 01-29-2000, 12:26 AM
Inactive User

Can't remember what years exactly had it, but the 2.2 & 2.5 cars of that era had a restrictor in the valve cover where the breather hose attaches (little plastic push in piece) to prevent to much breather flow thru the engine - If it's missing, It will burn a bunch of oil. Might want to check with your dealers parts dept & see if your supposed to have one. One other thing - would advise useing a MOPAR pcv valve only for the same reason of to much flow. Hope this helps
Old 01-29-2000, 12:33 AM
Drag Racer

Biggrin

First of all is this a turbo 2.5?
Also how much oil is it burning? a quart every 100 miles or ?
Old 01-29-2000, 12:40 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Stillie:
First of all is this a turbo 2.5?
Also how much oil is it burning? a quart every 100 miles or ?
No, it's not a turbo, and I've put about 5 quarts in for 800 km's - so yeah about 1qt /100 miles.

Al

Old 02-02-2000, 04:31 AM
Inactive User

I would take a compression test and possibly a cylinder leak down test. This would tell you if your piston rings are bad or badly worn valve guide. Maybe it has bad valve seals? Basicaly take back and have it fixed right.
Old 02-09-2000, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by allanlepage:
Hey everyone!! Sorry for the longer post!! Let me give you some background first! I have a 1990 Daytona 2.5l that I recently replaced the motor in (800km's ago!) It's still burning oil - is this still considered normal? Every once and a while, there is a big cloud of oil smoke behind the car, but it's really random as to when it happens. I checked the plugs, no oil on them anywhere, and they appear to be burning clean, the only thing I see on them, is around the end of the threads, there is a little bit of carbon(?) buildup. I haven't done much highway driving with it yet (maybe 150km's) Do I just need to be patient with it? Or bring it back to the mechanic and tell him to fix it right this time?!!

Thanks for all your help!!
Al
SOUNDS LIKE THE TURBO IS BAD.