Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-15-2002, 10:28 PM
Inactive User

Default 361 v8 with 727 needs a little sumptin

I am running a strong 361 with a 727 pushbutton in my 64 Dodge 880. I dont' want to dramatically affect the idle but would like to push the limits a little to get a little more huff out of this (small) Big Block motor.
I am running stock exhaust manifolds out to duals and have just scored an Edelbrock 750 with a performer manaifold ready to install. I was wondering what cam & specifically what duration I should choose to freshen the engine when I install these bad boyz...Heads will remain stock for now.

Fellas?

Nog
Old 11-15-2002, 10:50 PM
Inactive User

Default 361

As long as you have those old closed chamber 361 heads, there's not a lot you can do. They kill the breathing although not as much as on 383/413. I'm not up on all the new high tech cams. Us smalltime gearheads used to allways rely on the old RoadRunnerRepop cam from mopar performance. I think if you were really good with carbs and distributors you could make this work, otherwise get something milder. Call a cam company. They will make sure you get the right one.
Good luck, Kev
Old 11-15-2002, 11:09 PM
Inactive User

I would try Hughes Engines cams out or maybe Racer Brown. Larger valves sure would help, but I think a cam change may work to your advantage.

try www.hughesengines.com
Old 11-15-2002, 11:14 PM
Inactive User

Lot's of high po engines up until 1967, used the "516" heads your 361 has. 335 horse 383's, other B/rb's of the time made good power.

They won't be a performance limiting factor on your application. Certainly not with stock exhaust manifolds. A 1.60" exhaust valve is good up to 500 horse power in chev small blocks, so I don't think it will hurt you here.

I beefed up one of those a few years ago, simply with a 4bbl and dual exhaust. Got pretty good results. It's a fairly torquey motor for one with such a short stroke.

The 750 carb is a little big, 600 should be enough but if you already got the 750 it's o.k A cam upgrade is a good idea, but don't go crazy, as those engines were not really too high in the compression area. I would think a reprodution 383 magnum cam(or something with similar specs from another manufacturer you prefer) would be as big as you want to go.