Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-17-2002, 04:29 PM
Inactive User

Question Experienced racer guys...

Here's the plan. I picked up a 78 adventurer d 100, short box, fleetside truck. Factory 400 B engine, 9 1/4 inch diff.

I want to race it (1/4 mile)at the track next year, with my shops tags(Dave's Mopar Specialties) on the side of it.

My question is this, is 400 horsepower enough to bring this little truck into the low 14's?(I would make a very vague guess, that it weighs around 4000 lbs)

Any idea what chassis mods will I have to make to keep the wheels from lighting up everytime I poke the throttle?(I've ordered some 10" wide wheels for some wide boots, to help)

I'm planning on using the 400 I built and installed in the van, but with some more minor mods(headers, bigger exhaust, pulley reduction, converter, distributor fine tuning) to get it up to the 400 horse mark. Should be fairly easily attainable, since I'm at about 330 now with motor home manifolds, and next to no attention to timing, ect.(checked the timing a month ago to find that with 12 base I've got 57 total with the vacuum in...ouch!) Putting together a 440 torque motor for towing to put in the van

Am I dreaming, or is this attainable?
Old 11-17-2002, 11:20 PM
Inactive User

I ran one of those hp calculators, and it says I need 289 wheel horsepower to do it with my approximate weight and a goal of 14.0 seconds. Makes me think I'm right in the ballpark

I'm more interested in knowing what real world experience anyone has, that may apply to my situation.

I remember posters named 440bb/440BB who used to go faster than 14's with a 69 newyorker.

Anyone else with a similar story?
Old 11-18-2002, 10:08 AM
Inactive User

Dave....with a 77 D150, 360 with 2.02 intakes, etc., a LD340 intake, low compression, headers, 3.55 Sure Grip, a little RV cam, and Holley 390 carb......went 14.90's to 15..10's all day long for 3 years. Always consistent and ET depended on weather. Left easy with ET Streets, minimal wheelspin, did not add weight. You should be able to run low 14's easy.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:40 AM
Inactive User

Default Hey Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by dave571
I ran one of those hp calculators, and it says I need 289 wheel horsepower to do it with my approximate weight and a goal of 14.0 seconds. Makes me think I'm right in the ballpark

I'm more interested in knowing what real world experience anyone has, that may apply to my situation.

I remember posters named 440bb/440BB who used to go faster than 14's with a 69 newyorker.

Anyone else with a similar story?
Hey Dave
Yes you can make 14`s.
Shouldn`t be any trouble for a 400 with the right goodies.
Iam not going to speak of the engine, because you already Know the deal on that.
I would first recomend you go to a smaller truck.
Wich would be better suited for your plan.
However if you are stuck on the bigon then so be it.
I would get rid of the 9 1/4.
As I have seen factory 6 cyl; tear them to peices.
An 8 3/4 is the way to go.
You speak of under drive pullies and such.
Is this to be a duel purpuse vehicle?
I hope not but, I understand.
Get you rubber from micky T.
Requires small short burnouts and very sticky.
I would go with a 3.91 Gear and a 28" tire or 4.11`s with 29" tire.
Get a set of good lader bars And weld them to the rear.
As the boltons let the rear move to much.Those would be the best way to start off. Now here are two things I would consider only as a last resort,Because adding weight is backing up in my book.First drill the tail gate and add lead.
Second break the bead on one side of the spair tire fill with water then refill with air to make the seal re install under the truck.
As I said not recomended but I have seen it done.
In the next post I am going to try to post a pic of the ultimate solution to truck traction problems.
If Iam lucky you should see a pic of my 85 dodge d 50 rear engine 440 truck. it`s the streched version
Old 11-18-2002, 11:49 AM
Inactive User

Default I hope it works

If not please go to [URL=http://tmezz.mezzweb.com:81/wild[/URL] [IMG]tmezz.mezzweb.com:81/wild[/IMG]

It all depends on how bad you want it to hook.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:23 PM
Inactive User

14.0's here you come!!

I have a friend (who is a sometime member of this board) that races a DT/SA Dodge truck that would be a great help to you.

(I was going to post a thumbnail, but what the heck!)

He has ran mid 12's with a 318 and low 12's with his stocker 360, and was the national record holder several times in his class (he ran outside of D with the 318 I think).

Looking at his combo (he calls it two tons of fun) the only real racey peices on the truck are a race prepped Thermop Quad, an MSD box, and Headers. The 904 trans has a Dynamic 5500 Stall converter back to 5 sumpthin gears.

He also built a truck for his daughter to race that ran 13.08 the last week we were at the track. It has a baseline 360, 4500 stall in an 904, and I don't know what gear.

Your 400 should have a lot more torque, so the ultra high stall converters and steep gears are probably not necessary to get a 14.0.

But that is a helluva lot of weight to go hurtling down the 1/4 mile...
Old 11-18-2002, 07:51 PM
Inactive User

Default Timing

Hey dave Your timing sounds about normal 12 int. and 57 max with the vacuum advance . Remember that when you got your foot to the floor at W.O.T. that theres barely any vacuum so then your problabbly runnin about 36 or so full mechanical advance which is about right. Check it out with a dial back light or a timing tape with the hose disconnected. You can adjust the vaccum advance thru the canister if need be with a allen wrench if ya didnt know already. What kinda intake are you runnin? This setup would work good with the performer rpm. Hope ya hit your marks.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:03 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the input everybody! I've got a fair bit of experience as to engine mods, and fabrications ect. but I've never tried to get something to go on a track before. I do know there is a HUGE difference between what most street guys think their cars will run, and what they do in the real world. I've seen it with my G-tech, and with some abortions put together by people who think performance is as easy as bolting on expensive pieces.

Chitown, I'm pretty sure when I checked it without the vacuum , I was still in the mid 40's. Too much. I'm still running a stock 69 4bbl intake I port matched to the heads. I'm not opposed to the idea of an aluminum, but It will be after some other stuff, as it will need .090 machined off of each side to fit.

Dartman, That picture is inspiring!! It makes me think of mine in the same pose. Of course my 78 grill has the signals, vertical and to the inside of the headlight, and mine still has the "bird bath " hood. I like the "bird bath" hood's lines, it just sucks when it's full of water.

Dan, I've already got this truck(traded it for a clutch job on a toyota) so I think I'm gonna stick with it. I've still got to figure out what gears are in it. The only dual purpose will be the occasional run to the dump. It won't be driven very often.

Gotcha, thanks for the first hand numbers. They are very encouraging. What altitude are you at? Any idea what your truck weighs?
Old 11-19-2002, 12:16 AM
Inactive User

Dave....I am at sea level. Deep South Texas at the very bottom of the state. We are actually about 12 to 50 ft. above sea level.

Right at 4240# with driver. Longbed, reg cab with base level trim. Custom 150, not LE or Adventurer.

I never really tried to lower ET. Dual purpose truck for towing racecar. I ran two classes.....the truck in street.

Sold it about 10 years ago and moved to Cummins Diesels.

Just got an 87 D150 LE in a trade, with 318, real clean, no rust that I will baseline Friday nite at the track. It's stock, stock, stock,

Will probably switch to 360 just for fun. I just love those old Dodge Pickups. So ugly you got to love them.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:31 AM
Inactive User

I think we're at about 3000ft here. Hurts the e.t a bit, but oh well.

4240 eh? Well I'm probably close to that then. The shortbox would be lighter, but I'm assuming you ran the 8 1/4(lighter than my 9 1/4), and my 400 is heavier than a 360, that's for sure .

Ugly???(lol) Yea, I love it anyway

The only thing worse are the 60's trucks.
They're uglier but as not as cool.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:22 PM
Inactive User

Dave, it was a 9.25 just for info purposes.

More info....I have a close friend who just finished a Full Size
97 Shortbed with stroker 360 (408) that ran a couple of 13.00's, then clicked off a 12.98 when the night got cooler.

@3900 lbs......low 14's should be easy for a dual purpose truck with 400.