Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-17-2002, 11:21 PM
Inactive User

Default sway bar upgrade

Fellas, I've got a 1974 Dodge Challenger, 318, and sometime ago I read a post where an upgrade to performance sway bars was a good idea. Can you guys recommend a manufacturer and can someone please explain the benefits of doing this upgrade.
Thanks in advance
Roland
Old 11-17-2002, 11:30 PM
Inactive User

I can't remember who I got the ones for my 69 dart from. PST I think(performance suspension technologies)

The benifits are all in cornering, and they can be signifigant.

I added a rear stabilizer bar kit to the car, and upgraded the front to 1 1/8" from 7/8" .

Those bars, and some michelin 215/60/14 performance tires, and that car cornered like a 90's car, not a 60's tub.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:39 AM
Inactive User

Talk with Mikey Bynum at Quickor Suspension, he'll fix you up better than anyone.

http://www.quickor.com

A great set of shocks will be of tremendous benefit. I have a hard time understanding spending thousands on a motor, but cheaping out on shocks. At least have a look at double-adjustable Koni's and HAL Super Stocker before you make your choice. With either of these you'll beable to, literally, dial in your suspension/tires/driving conditions to suit yourself.

After that, GREAT tires.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:44 PM

Go with PST or Just Suspension.

On a matter of moral fround/ethics, stay away from Quickor. This guy had problems with his first suspension company. He filed bankruptcy, laid off everyone and then let the company die. Once it was dead, he turned around and started Quickor, eith a new group of employees, as the others that he screwed wanted nothing to do with him.

Do a search (on this site) for quickor and you will find the information from aperson with first hand knowledge.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:39 PM
Inactive User

for just getting sway bars, id go to addco. i personally know some of the guys down there, because they prototyped and installed a set of bars on my duster. i love them to death. theyre product may not be up to todays road racing standards like hotchkiss, but then i dont think youll be taking the challenger to autocross events. i may be w4rong, though.
as far as what sway bars do: the simplistic version is that they tie both sides of an independant suspension together, kind of like a lever. when the weight is put on one side, it acts on the lever to transfer some of that force to the oppossite side of the vehicle, thereby making it corner flatter.

they rock at what they do. great investment.
if you tell us what the ultimate plans for this car are, we can help you design a suspension to do it.

mike
Old 11-19-2002, 12:23 AM
Inactive User

Default sway bar

To: dusterbd, Thanks a bunch for the explanation of the swaybars now I can understand what they do. The Challenger is a cruiser and that will be it. Thanks for recommending addco and if you could also recommend some shocks. I just want a good responsive non sagging suspension.
Thanks again,
Roland
Old 11-19-2002, 05:25 AM
Inactive User

sagging has more to do with spings than with shocks and sway bars. know that first.

for a criser/ all purpose car, use KYB shocks. get them from PST. as far as ive seen, theyve got the best prices. not much on service, though. ast least not the last time i dealt with them.

mike

ps: anything else?
Old 11-19-2002, 08:32 PM
Inactive User

Default Thank you dusterbud

dusterbd, Thanks for all the very useful help my friend I really appreciate all the explanations. Thanks again.
Roland