Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-30-2002, 01:05 AM

Default retrofit rack and pinion

How hard would it be to put a small rack and pinion where the center link is? Reason would be a big motor in a small engine bay and severe steering shaft interference with exhaust manifold (headers are not an option yet) . they look simple enough and I think I got room under the pan between the sump and the trans inspection plate. I would just have to find a place to bolt it up. probably a removeable crossmember tied into the front clip. It sure would remove any slop from the old steering box, pitman, etc.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:52 AM
Inactive User

I am presently trying to redo my front suspension also and while I am not looking to change the steering, I have been told about doing what you are asking about. I was told that the spindles have to be reversed from side to side, this puts the steering in front of the k-member. You would then build mounts for your rack and then fabricate the linkage to the spindles using tie-rods, etc. The hard part will be setting everything up properly and not getting any "bumpsteer". My friend did it on his Chevy II in order to be able to fit in his 454. I cannot say if this will work on a Dodge or not, as I mentioned earlier I was told this as part of a suggestion to do what I am trying to do (which is get rid of the torsion bars and go with a coil-over for front suspension). I have seen after market k-members with the rack mounted in front though.

One other thing I should mention, when I looked at my Duster to try to understand what my friend was suggesting, it occurred to me that the k-member would probabely have to be cut back in order to bring the rack closer (more in a straight line between the tie rod ends of the spindles).

Maybe this helps, maybe it doesn't, good luck.
Old 11-30-2002, 02:11 AM
Banned

The only way to do this without creating bumpster and other steering geometry problems would be to use the magnum force kit. used it on my big block Duster just to save some front end weight. Besides you can put a big block in without it and get headers. I had mine in there before I got the magnum force kit.

By the way, I used a better coil over set up than they used in there kit. You may want to do the same.
Old 11-30-2002, 03:35 AM
Inactive User

The rack and pinion would go inside the k-member (with alot of surgery). I have no personal experience with this type swap but there have been a few magazine articles. One was a lime green 73or4 duster with a hemi, I think it was in mopar muscle. The car was very nice stock appearing. They put the rack in the Kmember where the sway bars go through. Also there was another article from many years ago (early 70's) showing the build up of the sox and martin duster. They did the same thing, rack in kmember, reversing balljoints to make it a front steer.
It looks like an interesting modification bump steer culd be minimized by finding a rack the same width as the centerlink and/or keeping the tierod assembly length (pivot point to pivot point) same. Although I would still check the bump steer during fabrication
Old 11-30-2002, 06:07 PM
Inactive User

Default select carfully

When selecting the rack be carefull .
Other wise it may turn right when you turn the wheel left.
I know it sounds stange but its even stranger to drive.